Quantcast
£700ish monitor choice confusion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
£700ish monitor choice confusion
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
£700ish monitor choice confusion

I've got a few options around this price range and i've narrowed it down to Focal CMS50s, Genelec 8030a, Adam A7's or perhaps some BM5a's.

The choice that i'm most concerned about is the focals and genes are 5" cones and the adams and dynaudio are between 6-7.

I'll be moving shortly so I have no idea where they'll be or how the room will or can be treated so I'm thinking that the 5"ers will cause me less bass issues but maybe leave me lacking in bottom end IF I can get some decent treatment done.

I've listened to all but the Genes and I have to say the Focals didn't seem to be lacking in bottom end at all.

Anybody have any experience with this lot to point me in the right direction.

I am favouring the focals just from the 'I like the sound' perspective at the moment.
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Im in exactly the same boat, just came on to ask the same thing.

I was trying to decide between the A7's and BM5a's. I also came across some really good reviews of some M-Audio CX8's, although I've never heard of them and doubt they're upto much.

Anyone have any experience with any of these monitors and can make any comparison's? I've used A7's and BM5a's and really like both, never had the opportunity to try both to compare.

Heeelp!

Thanks
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've tried or used all of these.

IME, the Genelecs are hifi speakers - terrible for mixing. You'll boost all your midrange too much.
The Adam A7s have gorgeous mids and highs, fatigued me a bit and below 100 Hz it was all wool. Might be fine with a sub, I don''t know.
The BM5s were just ok for me. Nothing really wrong with them.
I use the focals. Well balanced. Not fatiguing and really full of information for mixing. 5" is sufficient for bass duties though the 65s do sound 'nicer' if you have the room and treatment to handle it. No real need if you just want to hear your mixes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin ➡️
I've tried or used all of these.

IME, the Genelecs are hifi speakers - terrible for mixing. You'll boost all your midrange too much.
The Adam A7s have gorgeous mids and highs, fatigued me a bit and below 100 Hz it was all wool. Might be fine with a sub, I don''t know.
The BM5s were just ok for me. Nothing really wrong with them.
I use the focals. Well balanced. Not fatiguing and really full of information for mixing. 5" is sufficient for bass duties though the 65s do sound 'nicer' if you have the room and treatment to handle it. No real need if you just want to hear your mixes.
I'm surprised to hear your opinion on the Genelecs after so many other people raving about them.

I'm not really looking for a earth shattering bottom end, but I'm really after something that's very revealing so my often busy mixes are still full of room. The 65s are well outside my budget but I'm glad to hear the 50s should still provide enough bottom end information to mix with in a mildly treated room in the future.

Thanks
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
For that money you could get a second hand pair of PMC TB2's (passive) and an amp as well if you're lucky......just a thought.....lovely jovely....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
For that money you could get a second hand pair of PMC TB2's (passive) and an amp as well if you're lucky......just a thought.....lovely jovely....

Don't make me do more research.......

too late....bugger!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord ➡️
Don't make me do more research.......

too late....bugger!
If you go listen to some TB2's you might start thinking "thank f***"......to my mind beat the ****e out of the other options. Very sweet tools! YMMV
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A7s >>>>>> BM5a

In my opinion. I compared BM5a and BM6a directly to the A7s, and found the Dynaudios frankly awful in comparison. All closed in, angular and 'veiled' sound in comparison to the A7s. They also really exaggerated the low end, with no real midrange presence.

They just sounded 'muddy' to my ears. There was no comparison when I compared them...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well luckily for me I have a store nearby where I can audition them all, except the Genelecs.

My real concern was choosing a 5" speaker which is better for where I am right now (untreated) then finding out that when I move to a partically treated space all the low end that I was hearing was just crap and now i'm left with a pair of tin cans.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well luckily for me I have a store nearby where I can audition them all, except the Genelecs.

My real concern was choosing a 5" speaker which is better for where I am right now (untreated) then finding out that when I move to a partically treated space all the low end that I was hearing was just crap and now i'm left with a pair of tin cans.
You may be told in store that the TB2's are no good too close to the wall. Wouldn't worry about it though. They have their transmission ports on the back, so butting up TOO close to the wall isn't great, but you really don't need too much air in between. Kind of a playback eq decision. And they will tell you untold more about the bottom end then the others.......look like tiny cones, but the transmission line thing is deceiving!

For another 150 quid you can make perfectly useful portable traps for your room's corners out of ballast sheet (mineral loaded rubber/HEAVY!) and foam stuck on top, which will keep the bass under control and generally help a lot......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You may be told in store that the TB2's are no good too close to the wall. Wouldn't worry about it though. They have their transmission ports on the back, so butting up TOO close to the wall isn't great, but you really don't need too much air in between. Kind of a playback eq decision. And they will tell you untold more about the bottom end then the others.......look like tiny cones, but the transmission line thing is deceiving!

For another 150 quid you can make perfectly useful portable traps for your room's corners out of ballast sheet (mineral loaded rubber/HEAVY!) and foam stuck on top, which will keep the bass under control and generally help a lot......
I'll certainly look into those.

tbh i'd never even heard of them before and I didn't really want to go down the passive/amp route but it's something to geek up on at least. I would have overlooked them as expensive hifi speakers as well!
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll certainly look into those.

tbh i'd never even heard of them before and I didn't really want to go down the passive/amp route but it's something to geek up on at least. I would have overlooked them as expensive hifi speakers as well!
You can actually find these in their hifi version with wooden sides in the hifi section on ebay rather often. Essentially the same deal, just arguably better looking, depending on taste
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You can actually find these in their hifi version with wooden sides in the hifi section on ebay rather often. Essentially the same deal, just arguably better looking, depending on taste
In my experience PMC TB2's only work well with reaaalllllyy good amps. Think Flying mole, Bryston, Perreaux, and similar. A used one in good shape will set you back €1000,-- mimimum...

It would be a crying shame to hook such good speaker to a sub standard Samson Servo or Alesis RA-series amp. What's the use of / fun in having a speaker that keeps telling you how mediocre your amp is?

That would be like using your Bugatti Veyron for your grocery shopping. Or, as I've read posted by someone else here on this forum, it would be like finding a perfect hottie, with a perfect a**, perfect b**bs and perfect curves and then smearing **** all over her face.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Personally I'd have them hooked to an old Amcron/Crown D-300 over the other options mentioned all day long, but yes they get better with more amp money. Maybe look at modding Adcom's, Jim Williams style.....cheeeeap!

In fact I'd have them hanging off a Quad 520 or most things over Genelecs all day long!

Now let me go and wipe that stuff off my face........
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK ➡️
A7s >>>>>> BM5a

In my opinion. I compared BM5a and BM6a directly to the A7s, and found the Dynaudios frankly awful in comparison. All closed in, angular and 'veiled' sound in comparison to the A7s. They also really exaggerated the low end, with no real midrange presence.

They just sounded 'muddy' to my ears. There was no comparison when I compared them...
This is the exact reason why we all need to listen for ourselves... I found it exactly the other way around! I found the dynaudios had real/honest midrange, and highs that felt more accurate. The A7 also felt very bass light to my ears, I was afraid I would mix things with too much bass to compensate.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I listened to the CMS50's vs the 8030a's vs BM5a's and prefered the Genelecs

Go figure
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gennys are nice! As are the Tannoy Precision 6d.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Tehlord I'm glad you listened for yourself...though I suspect you're completely mad!!!
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin ➡️
Tehlord I'm glad you listened for yourself...though I suspect you're completely mad!!!
I shall be sure to reveal my insanity over the coming months.

We're very happy to be here.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't forget the Mackie HR624mkIIs
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
Don't forget the Mackie HR624mkIIs
I'd assumed they wouldn't be a significant step up from my RP6s.

Don't know what led me to believe that tbh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think you could get a pair of pro ac studio 100s from funky junk for £750
i would do that
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'd assumed they wouldn't be a significant step up from my RP6s.

Don't know what led me to believe that tbh
Well price isn't everything, but if one item costs more than double the other, it usually means you're getting something more for your money.

In this case it will be the frequency response, proper testing, accurately matched pairs, input options, and build-quality.

My HR624s have performed flawlessly for the last 5 years, and have done a magnificent job of letting me hear exactly how far away I am from getting a polished mix, which is far heh

I think the whole Mackie brand thing is partly responsible for them getting a less than warm reception from some people, although most people that comment on them have never heard them, which seems to be par for the course for a lot of stuff.

They seem to fit your bill pretty well, so I would give them a listen at least, Geoff
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
Well price isn't everything, but if one item costs more than double the other, it usually means you're getting something more for your money.

In this case it will be the frequency response, proper testing, accurately matched pairs, input options, and build-quality.

My HR624s have performed flawlessly for the last 5 years, and have done a magnificent job of letting me hear exactly how far away I am from getting a polished mix, which is far heh

I think the whole Mackie brand thing is partly responsible for them getting a less than warm reception from some people, although most people that comment on them have never heard them, which seems to be par for the course for a lot of stuff.

They seem to fit your bill pretty well, so I would give them a listen at least, Geoff

I have just realised who this is. heh

I've just started a first mix using mostly the powercore, and some new Audio Technica headphones (which I think are better than using the KRKs )

What a freekin difference!
msl
Lives for gear

I have A7s, and I love them, but they are a bit bass lite. I would also check out the Yamaha MSP5 in that price range. Its all personal preference, listen to them all and make your own decision. Personally I don't like Dynaudio at all, though I have friends that swear by them.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think there's a few more options out there than I originally thought.

My main issue really was whether a set of 5" monitors would still be useful in 6 months if they were moved to a treated room. Having spoken to a guy that OWNS a commercial studio, whose opinion I trust competely I'm pretty sure it's not something I need to worry about now.

Also, seeing as the KRKs are slow to sell I might be up to the £1000 budget mark by the time I actually buy them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I stick by my guns after hearing Dyns again on the weekend, and it reminded me just how ugly they sound (IMO) in comparison to my A7s.

For pure listening, there's an argument you could quite like them (I really don't), but I personally couldn't mix on them if my right testicle depended on it...
📝 Reply