Quantcast
A mic thats a compromise between an sm57 and a Studio Projects C1 ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A mic thats a compromise between an sm57 and a Studio Projects C1 ?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A mic thats a compromise between an sm57 and a Studio Projects C1 ?

Hey there. I seem to be trapped between two mics.

On one hand, I like the C1 cause it seems to give my vocals "space" but being a condenser, it picks up way too much room noise, and it's doing something in the higher frequencies I can't quite put my finger on.

On the other hand, the sm57 doesnt pick up room noise, but seems just a tad bit too boomy and boxy and also I suffer badly from proximity effect even with using a good windscreen.

is there a compromise between these two? Will an Sm7b be any better? Or some sort of small capsule condensor?

Ideas?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper ➑️
Hey there. I seem to be trapped between two mics.

On one hand, I like the C1 cause it seems to give my vocals "space" but being a condenser, it picks up way too much room noise, and it's doing something in the higher frequencies I can't quite put my finger on.

On the other hand, the sm57 doesnt pick up room noise, but seems just a tad bit too boomy and boxy and also I suffer badly from proximity effect even with using a good windscreen.

is there a compromise between these two? Will an Sm7b be any better? Or some sort of small capsule condensor?

Ideas?
The SM-7 is an awesome vocal mic. Takes a lot of gain... but they are great. Michael Jackson recorded a lot of his vocals through one. Lot's of rock guys love em too. The SM-7b is not quite as magical to me... but still a great mic.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might try a CAD M-179. Pretty flat on the high end, but not dull at all. Great pattern control also.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe ➑️
The SM-7 is an awesome vocal mic. Takes a lot of gain... but they are great. Michael Jackson recorded a lot of his vocals through one. Lot's of rock guys love em too. The SM-7b is not quite as magical to me... but still a great mic.
Yeah, the SM7 is like the condenser of dynamic mics. Rejects the background noise fairly well (thought not as well as an sm58), but also sort of increases voice presence (radio announcer) like a condenser often does. Still a bit far off from what I imagine a C1 sounds like, but if you made the Shure 57 a condensor mic, I imagine it would sound like the SM7.

I've got the AKG C3000 (original champagne model, not the B) and as much as it gets a bad rap around here, it's a large condenser mic that reminds me of a dynamic mic, and does a good job of rejecting background noise, especially from the rear. Doesn't have a special sound or anything, but fits what you are looking for somewhat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sm7b
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Heil PR30?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I might be the only one with any love for em but the Heil PR40 and PR30 excel at this. The PR40 in particular has a very condenser-ish quality.

I also think the SM7b is a good choice but I prefer the Heil's myself.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe ➑️
My first thought exactly!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both M179 and C1 and the 179 is more sensitive hense picking up more ambient noise despite its abillity to record in hyper cardioid.
Lives for gear

16 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
AT3035 for vocals is not boomy at all, and very flat in freq response. Close mic the vocals with it to pick up less room effect.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it room ringing/reverberation thats bothering you or high noise floor (street noise,computer fans/hd etc...) ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 on the sm7. i dont really think there is much of a difference between the sm7 and sm7b....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll second the PR30. The SM7 is great too, both are great mics.

Another option is the SE Reflexion filter, it should help tame the room sound and block most external noises.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I made the leap and got an sm7.

Wow.

That's all I gotta say. This mic gives me what I need. Quiet, in your face vocals. Which suits my style.

I backed myself into a corner where I have some acoustic paneling, and to my amateur ears this thing is awesome, I hear almost no room noise, its like I'm in a vocal booth. Just can imagine how much better it can be too if I build a little DIY vocal "hut".

Oh and on a whim I threw it on my 70's SF champ amp this afternoon......sexy...soaked up that distorted little monster. We have a winner
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe ➑️
I might be the only one with any love for em but the Heil PR40 and PR30 excel at this. The PR40 in particular has a very condenser-ish quality.

I also think the SM7b is a good choice but I prefer the Heil's myself.
thumbsup

...the Heil PR40 (a dynamic voiced like a condenser) and the KEL HM-2d (a condenser voiced like a dynamic) will both deliver great results...and the SM7?...legendary...
Gear Guru
Sm7b, but Neumann KMS105 too, depending on your needs. The KMS 105 is a bit more defined, has less bass but can sound a bit sharp if you have a nasally voice (depending on the pre you're using, while the sm7b is very well rounded, Compresses and Eqs very well. Both can be handheld. Sm7b rejects the noise a bit better than the kms105 but the kms 105 keeps the vox a bit steadier. The KMS105 will need a pop filter depending on the vocalist.

sm7b: Well rounded, grittier type of mic, more emotion popping out. Well rounded, can work with lots of different singers, need lots of gain.
ksm105: More classic sounding, neumanish (surprising considering the price). Not as much high end frequency, seems to have a roll off at the end (which the frequency response confirms, and sharper, lighter bass (frequency response confirms this too).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Wow.

That's all I gotta say. This mic gives me what I need. Quiet, in your face vocals. Which suits my style.

I backed myself into a corner where I have some acoustic paneling, and to my amateur ears this thing is awesome, I hear almost no room noise, its like I'm in a vocal booth. Just can imagine how much better it can be too if I build a little DIY vocal "hut".

Oh and on a whim I threw it on my 70's SF champ amp this afternoon......sexy...soaked up that distorted little monster. We have a winner
it's not your amateurish ears, it is what it is. an awesome mic.
i was in the reluctant camp of naysayers before i got one. i didn't want to spend money on it and asked for it as a birthday gift. all i can say is that it delivers and is a world class mic. regardless of hype and mythical status that most of the world has placed on its shoulders, this mic kills for the price. it has become my number 2 mic for vocals, mojave audio ma-200 as number 1. the sm7b is a different animal than the ma-200. less 3-d, but more in your face and mix ready.
on guitar amps, it totally shines, too. it loves distortion!!! doesn't get nasally like my sm57 and pics up the meaty lows like my i5. it is bigger than both mics in sound, but has a sound all its own. i have many mics for guitar duties, but between this and the fathead... that ground is covered.
i wish i could recommend the heil stuff, but alas no experience.
i can tell you that the sm7b is killer and welcome to the club!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since we're in the low-end forum, I'll throw in the Peavey 520i. A really nice large diaphragm dynamic that's reminiscent of an SM7 and can occasionally be found used for next to nothing.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess this issue is resolved, but really, a beta 57 is a condensery sounding 57 FWIW. You need to work it closer than a condenser, but it's way hi fi sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Wow.

That's all I gotta say.

That was pretty much my thoughts when I bought mine. I was gonna post a +1 on buying this mic, but now I'll just give you a high five! (or a thumbs up) you chose......... wisely.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysentarygary ➑️
That was pretty much my thoughts when I bought mine. I was gonna post a +1 on buying this mic, but now I'll just give you a high five! (or a thumbs up) you chose......... wisely.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's the opinion on the Sennheiser MD441; from what I can remember (used it only once, years ago) it's a tight sounding dynamic mic, that kinda behaves like a condenser mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sennheiser 441 was my first 'real' recording mic back in the 80's. It is a serious mic for almost anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the SM-7 is a cool mic. You sound like you have what you want, but it does not double for many other duties. (Yes, I had one) Loud vox, amps, and maybe some drums...I dumped mine, because if I did not record loud things at point blank range, I was never going to use it much. For someones first or second mic, I don't think its a good idea, but if you have alot of mics, its a must to have in de closet!
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Having owned both mics, I would just recommend improving the sound of your room and using the c1.....
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmo ➑️
Having owned both mics, I would just recommend improving the sound of your room and using the c1.....
I agree. Been doing some thinking & reading. I already have a couple bass traps up, and some other thinner panels about the room, but probably need more. Maybe some moving blankets here or there. From some advice I've gotten apparently I'm still getting quite a bit of unfavorable room reflections..
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree. Been doing some thinking & reading. I already have a couple bass traps up, and some other thinner panels about the room, but probably need more. Maybe some moving blankets here or there. From some advice I've gotten apparently I'm still getting quite a bit of unfavorable room reflections..

I'll be there soon enough, room acoustics are next on my list.Ive got a few blankets, but I feel like lim going to have to trap/cover everything to get a decent sound(dead).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll be there soon enough, room acoustics are next on my list.Ive got a few blankets, but I feel like lim going to have to trap/cover everything to get a decent sound(dead).
Yea. DIY is the best route if you're trying to save money. It was insanely simple to make my bass traps and I'm not even the "handy" type. They've held up well for 2 years now.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yea. DIY is the best route if you're trying to save money. It was insanely simple to make my bass traps and I'm not even the "handy" type. They've held up well for 2 years now.
Thats what Im thinking..What did u use?Im leaning towards fiberglass since its the chepest and most readily available.
Old 9th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thats what Im thinking..What did u use?Im leaning towards fiberglass since its the chepest and most readily available.
Yep, rigid fiberglass. I used Johns Mansville 800 series which is very close to OC 703. Glued 2 2" pieces together, put eye hooks through them with big washers, and then wrapped them in muslin and they were good to go.
πŸ“ Reply