POD 2 critique - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
POD 2 critique
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
POD 2 critique

Hi Slutz,

I have been reading many great threads regarding the POD and their use for guitar DI recording. I thought I would share with you a simple recording I did with mine last night. I used the preset 5b without any tweaks using my LP studio. I put a parametric EQ on the guitar mix bus to shelf at 80Hz (no other adjustments) and threw a tube warmth plug-in on the mix bus.

I think it sounds pretty good in the mix (albeit a simple arrangement). I would be interested in getting feedback from others regarding the sound quality. Mostly interested in anyone that can explain the "Yeah, that is a POD, and I can tell because..." sort of comment.

Happy Thanksgiving!

EDIT: just realized this would have been better posted in "Work In Progress / Advice Requested..."
Attached Files

mypod.mp3 (915.9 KB, 2048 views)

Old 26th November 2009
Gear Guru
It's good, the drums definitely need some beefing up, and need to be sequenced in a way that they can sound less robotic. All in all, it's good.
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sounds acceptable to me but its waaaaaaaaaaay on the thin side compared to the tones I get out of my boogie preamp, vht poweramp, marshall cab and ribbon mic (which I used as a comparative reference).

That said, I've heard some great net recordings and albums recorded with line 6 gear and am not part of the "line six sucks" camp. I think line6 rocks.

Personally I think the pod stuff sounds better mic'd up thru a cab than direct though.
There is something magical about the attack and chug of 2-4 speaker cones working in concert with each other that has yet to be duplicated digitally. You can only get it from cabs.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru
The Diezel VH4 preset on the PodXTlive sounds awesome.
📝 Reply