Quantcast
Need emergency interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need emergency interface
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Need emergency interface

So, my 3-year old RME Fireface 800 decided to die on me today and I am in the middle of a project - I need to pick up a cheap substitute while I send it off to be serviced. Problem is, I have very little money - could maybe swing $500-600.

All that I need is a single 1/4" balanced input for my preamp and 2 1/4" balanced outputs for my monitors. I don't have any PCIe slots free in my PC, but do have several PCI and, of course, plenty of Firewire and USB inputs.

It's been several years since I have done any research on interfaces...what should I get? Do any of the sub-$600 interfaces today have converters at the same quality level (or higher) than the FF800?

I am thinking something like the E-mu 1212M PCI - but want to make sure the converters are solid.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

an echo audiofire should get you by

im thinking about getting one to use with my apogee duet

apparently there's not a huge difference in converter quality
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe ➑️
an echo audiofire should get you by

im thinking about getting one to use with my apogee duet

apparently there's not a huge difference in converter quality

Thanks - I'll look into that one as well.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi there,

I the ADC is a main issue I sufffest looking at

Emu 0404 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface

This one has a very good coverters and impressive s/n ratio

Cheerz!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i second the echo audiofire. sounds/works great.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Echo Audiofire 2. It has the inputs your require and really high end converters. Drivers are solid too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The E-Mu 1212m you are looking at is fine. I use one.

Two cautions:

The mixing software is a bit daunting. It works great, but it is hard to understand it at the beginning, because it gives you lots of options.

Also, don't try using it with a Vista machine. XP only. They will tell you it works with Vista, but in my experience, it's buggy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker ➑️
The E-Mu 1212m you are looking at is fine. I use one.

Two cautions:

The mixing software is a bit daunting. It works great, but it is hard to understand it at the beginning, because it gives you lots of options.

Also, don't try using it with a Vista machine. XP only. They will tell you it works with Vista, but in my experience, it's buggy.
I'm on a Vista 64 machine, so I guess I should steer clear of the 1212.

What about an RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632? A little out of my range, but I might be able to get a deal on it on Black Friday.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should be able to pick up a 9632 or even a 9652 for </~ $150 used.

That would be a very stable, low latency card. If you get a 9652, you would need to add a front end as there are no analogue connections, but whatever you get you could keep as extra in/out for your fireface.

Plus, you get to keep working with the same software interfacing for the rme cards which would save a lot of headaches.

It would even be worth getting a new 9652 or RayDat and selling your fireface, as then you could expand with a better selection of converters than the fireface can offer.
(You would need pci-e for the RayDat though).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
You should be able to pick up a 9632 or even a 9652 for </~ $150 used.

That would be a very stable, low latency card. If you get a 9652, you would need to add a front end as there are no analogue connections, but whatever you get you could keep as extra in/out for your fireface.

Plus, you get to keep working with the same software interfacing for the rme cards which would save a lot of headaches.

It would even be worth getting a new 9652 or RayDat and selling your fireface, as then you could expand with a better selection of converters than the fireface can offer.
(You would need pci-e for the RayDat though).

Yeah, all of that sounds pretty enticing!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I'm biased, I'm a 9652 user, but the cards are just great. Reliable, great drivers (usually a weak point for some manus which is a bit nafff seeing as it's so damn important!), very low latecny, amazing bundled routing/metering software, hang anything you want off them. No brainer.

Only down side of course is that with the 9632 or 52 you are committing to pci, but I think that's safe for quite a few years to come, on pc at least.

But if it bothers you, go RayDat. You get an extra adat port (4 in total) over the 9652, plus AES/EBUr. If you do go the internal card route, at the very least try and get the 9652 so you have a nice channel count.

Edit: my price guess was a bit off, was thinking in pounds sterling, I got my 9652 for Β£120 used, that's bang on $200.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, I ended up going with the HDSPe AIO PCIe card - got a new one on Ebay for $600, which seems like a good price (picked up a balanced breakout cable for it, too - unfortunately, $79 was the cheapest that I could find it).

Now, I just need to save up for a UA 2192!! There's a used on Ebay right now for $2075 - really wish I had the cash for it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd love to say 'well done', and it's a good card, but for what you just paid, you could have got a brand new 9652 including breakout.!

And that's without doing any shopping around or deal hunting.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to feel bad about your purchase, but with three adat ports instead of one, wordclock in/out instead of none, and two midi ports instead of one, for the same price, I would have gone for the 9652 over the AIO.

The AIO is supposed to ship with the breakout cable too, which means I would definitely have wanted to go with a trusted supplier over an ebay one as well, and got the full-on real deal, with no quibble returns policy etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, but I decided that the AIO was more flexible than the 9652 (it has analog and AES ports, which the 9652 lacks - plus it can handle 192kHz sampling rates). The AIO is supposed to have lower latency, as well.

Anyway, I couldn't find any retailers selling a new 9652 for less than $699 - and that price doesn't include the analog expansion board that I need (which costs over $225 at most stores that I could find). There were a couple cheaper used 9652's on Ebay, but I wanted to go with a new card. The seller that I chose in an official RME dealer and has a 7 day return policy and the unit is covered with a 2-year warranty.

The AIO comes with an unbalanced breakout cable, but I need balanced for my setup, thus I had to buy one separately. I can get the word clock expander later for less than $175.

Quote:
I'd love to say 'well done', and it's a good card, but for what you just paid, you could have got a brand new 9652 including breakout.!

And that's without doing any shopping around or deal hunting.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to feel bad about your purchase, but with three adat ports instead of one, wordclock in/out instead of none, and two midi ports instead of one, for the same price, I would have gone for the 9652 over the AIO.

The AIO is supposed to ship with the breakout cable too, which means I would definitely have wanted to go with a trusted supplier over an ebay one as well, and got the full-on real deal, with no quibble returns policy etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➑️
So, I ended up going with the HDSPe AIO PCIe card - got a new one on Ebay for $600, which seems like a good price (picked up a balanced breakout cable for it, too - unfortunately, $79 was the cheapest that I could find it).

Now, I just need to save up for a UA 2192!! There's a used on Ebay right now for $2075 - really wish I had the cash for it!

Steinberg has the rebate on the 816 which would get you down to $699, its supposed to be nice.
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➑️

Anyway, I couldn't find any retailers selling a new 9652 for less than $699 - and that price doesn't include the analog expansion board that I need (which costs over $225 at most stores that I could find). There were a couple cheaper used 9652's on Ebay, but I wanted to go with a new card.
Fair enough, but buying used is where you get your money to work for you, so to speak. As I said, I picked up my 9652 for $200, and saw a second 9652 going for Β£90 (<$150) but I let it go. Stupid, but there you go.

People in general look after gear they paid some cash for, you've got to be really unlucky to pick up a dud, and ebay will protect you (crappy policy if you're selling though!).

This is all after the fact anyway, you got a good card so you're sorted
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This is all after the fact anyway, you got a good card so you're sorted
We shall see - still have to wait a week for it to arrive - I hope the converters sound as good (if not better) than my defunct FF800.

Now I am drooling over ADC/DAC converters like the Mytek or UA 2192 - gotta figure out how to afford another big purchase (might have to sell off some guitars).
πŸ“ Reply