Quantcast
Feedback about Mackie Monitors - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Feedback about Mackie Monitors
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The HR series, 6s and 8s are THX certified, don't know if that's what you mean but I imagine so. You get a test certificate with each one too with that particular speaker's response curve, unless the documentation is false then they are pretty damn flat.
I can post one up if you like.

The only issues I have with mine are with bass clarity and stereo imaging, and both those things are a result of my room, not the speakers.

I listen to everything through mine, and with material that has been mixed professionally (and well) the quality of detail is fantastic, even in this untreated room.

It took me a while to get used to them, but now I prefer them to the Harbeth Acoustics Compact 7s I was using to begin with (which are 'real' hi-fi speakers, still more detail in the hr624s, definitely less coloured, I didn't really know what that term meant until I compared those two sets of speakers).
The Harbeths were gorgeous, wish I still had them. I sold them to a friend but the bastard won't let me buy them back off him!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
more detail in the hr624s, definitely less coloured
I agree. I've had 624s in my home theater for several years now, and they are absolutely clear sounding and very flat. They also play very loudly! A lot of popular speakers are not flat, and have an intentional dip of 2 to 8 dB in the harshness range around 2 to 4 KHz. So those speakers come across as "smooth" and "non-fatiguing" even though they are not accurate. I can understand that sort of gimmickry in hi-fi speakers, but it upsets me to see this stuff marketed to recording studio types.

--Ethan
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
They also have cheap components in the amp stages which - although won't affect you in day to day use at normal volume - in any serious use....they're gonna either burn out or burn their own tweeters.
I must be lucky. Mine have been tolerating abuse for about 10 years including numerous electrical surges, lots of travel, and more accidental blasts of noise than I can count.
Maybe they started using cheaper components after the first year or so of production? I'm not sure what about their sonics would restrict them to "creating only". I've bought several other monitors over the years but the HR824s always stayed. I'm confused if we're talking about the same monitor here but, to each his own.
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had mine for 5 years, they have also taken abuse, been in moving trucks about 8 times, also suffered surges and extreme volumes (oops), and one of them has been dropped putting a hole through a wood floor. The speaker didn't even get scratched. No kidding. They are heavy!
This pair were made in china.

And yes they are insanely loud, they could be used as PA speakers.

+/-1.5dB 52Hz-20KHz
+/-3dB @ 49Hz and 22KHz.

Would be nice to have the matching sub though.

I'm not really sure why the Adam A7s get so much over-zealous love and the mackies suffer so much derision, especially when by all accounts the Adams are inherently flawed compared to the hr series.
It's poor marketing by mackie combined with the fact that the adam brand seems 'cooler' to people, I think.
I don't think I'll ever need to change these speakers out, I can't wait to hear what they sound like in a fully treated room!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE ➡️
I must be lucky. Mine have been tolerating abuse for about 10 years including numerous electrical surges, lots of travel, and more accidental blasts of noise than I can count.
Maybe they started using cheaper components after the first year or so of production? I'm not sure what about their sonics would restrict them to "creating only". I've bought several other monitors over the years but the HR824s always stayed. I'm confused if we're talking about the same monitor here but, to each his own.
the thing about cheap components isn't necessarily about creating bad stuff. But the GOOD stuff makes an assurance of that! So yes - you may well have a very robust set of speakers and thats great. My issue with the Mackies {and this isn't a serious issue since for the price they are good} - the sonic qualities are compromised. I find the speakers unclear in the lows and mids, I find the amps in the actives {are there passives?} unclear! BUT only when compared to a set of Sigma 6.2s or ATC etc....
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
the thing about cheap components isn't necessarily about creating bad stuff. But the GOOD stuff makes an assurance of that! So yes - you may well have a very robust set of speakers and thats great. My issue with the Mackies {and this isn't a serious issue since for the price they are good} - the sonic qualities are compromised. I find the speakers unclear in the lows and mids, I find the amps in the actives {are there passives?} unclear! BUT only when compared to a set of Sigma 6.2s or ATC etc....
Oh, I'm very much with you on that!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I find the speakers unclear in the lows and mids, I find the amps in the actives {are there passives?} unclear! BUT only when compared to a set of Sigma 6.2s or ATC etc....
Well that's hardly fair is it I'm sure I'd toss them if someone offered me a pair of something in the upper class.
Old 6th December 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisdeejay ➡️
I'm thinking about buying a pair of Mackie monitors in order to improve a bit my sound quality. I don't know if they are the best "cheap" option to allow a clear mix.

First of all, I though about buying the Mackie MR8 but I think they are too big for my studio (I'll try to upload some pics of it if neccesary) so this is the reason why now I'm thinking about the Mackie MR5.

Another option are the Behringer Truth B2031a but Mackie is a better mark in my opinion so I'm not very sure about what to do.

As you can see, my budget is very limited (no more than 350 - 370 euro) and my studio is neither soundproof. I just need some monitors to make a mix as clear as possible.

Any feedback or help to chose the best option for my case? Many thanks
I'm using 824s and Avantones. Beware of using the 824s in a small or untreated room. If I was going to buy monitors again I would get Avantones and 624s (or small genelecs.)

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well that's hardly fair is it I'm sure I'd toss them if someone offered me a pair of something in the upper class.
heh true. But that's the only real comparison you can make. How do they stand up "as is"..... Heck - generally in audio there a lots of things that are good value at the low end, you just accept the compromises because of the dosh!!

so - are the good? No. Are they good when considering the money? Yes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In reality the question is more like, "at this stage, is spending £3,000 more going to make me mix better?"

No.

"Are the HR624s going to stop me learning how to get a god mix?"

No.

Until the answer to either of those changes, I'm good with the Mackies!

If people can learn to get great mixes on NS10s, they sure as hell can learn to do it on the HR series!
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In reality the question is more like, "at this stage, is spending £3,000 more going to make me mix better?"

No.

"Are the HR624s going to stop me learning how to get a god mix?"

No.

Until the answer to either of those changes, I'm good with the Mackies!

If people can learn to get great mixes on NS10s, they sure as hell can learn to do it on the HR series!
of course. But Ns10s were/are good for very different reasons. Not great for frequency related stuff but GREAT for transient stuff.... super tight....

And I LOVE your sig strip - watching old Morcambe and Wise this past week or so...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have had my 824's MKI;s for around 2 years and I love them,

however my friend might be selling some Genelec 1032a's, I have not had chance to listen to them properly yet so before I do, has anybody else listened to the 1032a's compared to the mackie's

As far as i understand the design is very similar, I know the 1032a's are a larger speaker but does anybody think that they offer any improvement over the mackies as they cost quite a bit more.......

I will make my own informed decision but any insight if you have used both would be appreciated....

BTW Does anybody own the Mackie 824 MKII's how are they?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
of course. But Ns10s were/are good for very different reasons. Not great for frequency related stuff but GREAT for transient stuff.... super tight....

And I LOVE your sig strip - watching old Morcambe and Wise this past week or so...
Lol! I know, I still laugh whenever I imagine him grabbing Andre Previn, classic heh
Old 15th March 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Oh, God!! I had forgotten about this post (shame on me). Finally, I have bough a pair of Mackie MR5 with 2 stands and I'm more than happy with them.heh The acoustic of my studio isn't the best but I have improved a lot my mixes. Now I'm trying to avoid my old headphones all the time. I only use them to pan properly some sounds.

Mackie MR5 were quite cheap and I can see they are doing what I wanted. Of course, they aren't 100% plain but I can't complain anyway.
📝 Reply