Quantcast
Has anybody done an A/B test between cheap mixer preamp and high end one? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has anybody done an A/B test between cheap mixer preamp and high end one?
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here comes my save face post ala like the ITB/OTB blind test so here is my B.S.:

"I knew Joker was really the Behringer, I was just got songs in wrong order... I meant to say the other one was a rich fat recording...See when I was typing I got all confused of the two and did not realize I had the two mixed up in my reply until this morning, honest"

Hope you enjoyed my save face post, you guys are free to copy and paste in your next blind test reply!
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel ➡️
the behringer actually sounded better than the GR. not much better but in the worst case it sound at least as good, i don't care who you are. but you used 2 different mics, the songs are different, so that doesn't qualify as a test. but it's cool, just like i thought, a good engineer can get GREAT results out of semi pro gear.

we're heading towards 2010 people, COME ON.
stop living in the Abbey Road era already. We have much more options then we used to have, the competition is great, technologies are much better these days than they used to be in the 60's.
I agree with you here..people may love the old beatles albums like I do, but compared to todays standard the beatles "sound" is dirty and hissy, I used to use the ada8000 with my digi 003 for more i/o and it sounded good, but I was to busy to nit pick about one track sounding a little different (not better) than the other..IMO the great bands of the old would have been happier than hell to have a ****ty mbox back then!! The all of the snobs could sit here and tell us how their vintage $8,000.00 mbox is better than our apogee gear
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Gabriel ➡️
I've never had the chance to really understand what's the big difference between high end preamps and cheap preamps you usually find in small mixers.
for once i would like to hear the difference for myself to really understand what everybody's talking about, with my own ears, in order to see how significant (or not) it is to MY ears.
since i don't have the chance to make an a/b test by myself, has anybody done it and can upload some clips?

I was wondering when I recorded piano with a Behringer mixer, which I bought with my first condensers to get phantom power. It costed less than 100 euros for six channels, including 4 mic preamps, pan, eq, .... Then I got a Behringer valve preamp, the Ultragain 2200, which costs also less than 100 € today. At that time, my recorder was a Tascam CD writer. To get to direct-to-disk, I went to a firewire interface, the Edirol FA-66, which having two mic preamps made my Behringer gear useless. I was curious about what would be the benefit from something more recognized than Behringer, but not ready for 4 figures spending. I got then a Focusrite TwinTrak. And finally I was told by a pro that I should get a 'true' preamp and that the DAV BG1 would nice for what I did. I bought the DAV. A fews years ago, I found back the Behringer stuff in the attic and made a shoot-out with the Edirol, the focusrite and the DAV. The takes are here below in no particular order. The mics are Avenson Sto-2.

Quote:
what's the big difference
?

At least the price. About a factor 30 on the cost per channel here. Whether it matters or not to your ears, only you can answer.
Attached Files

1.mp3 (4.93 MB, 474 views)

2.mp3 (5.12 MB, 487 views)

3.mp3 (5.00 MB, 446 views)

4.mp3 (4.77 MB, 496 views)

5.mp3 (5.02 MB, 521 views)

Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The only thing that this comparison shows ... is that there are a million other factors that make a far greater impact on the recording quality of the finished product ... and that people are far too focused on minor things like mic pres.

Sure, if given the choice, always use the best possible gear you can get your hands on, up to and including cables and headphone amps. And that, of course, includes mic pres.

But I don't get the whole mic preamp hysteria. Their importance has been so over-blown (and not just on this board) through the years, it's ridiculous.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I feel the difference between pres at the mixing stage. My first setup was all behringer pres and mixing was hard to get stuff gel together. I thought that was a skill problem but after a while I could afford a better desk (Ghost) and then another better desk (D&R). Mixes get together much easier and gel more. Off course my skills have improved (at least I hope so ) but I feel the diff in pres more than I hear it. It's stacking them that makes the difference.

I hope 2010 will bring me a nice SCA setup....

Herwig
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
TBH i think that Joker generaly sounds like a better recording because the arrangement and performances more suit my taste, so it becomes nigh on impossible to obtain an objective viewpoint on the equipment used.

When you factor in the effort and skill that has gone into both recordings, any difference in gear quality becomes negligible for me.

So i guess i can admit to not REALLY hearing the difference, but will use my wild card and say that its because my subjective perception of the tracks is impeding any scientific analysis as opposed to me being a tone deaf, cloth eared, trance-cadet (who am i kidding?)

Either way, i enjoyed listening to both tracks. Cheers Wiz
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirror symmetry ➡️
TBH i think that Joker generaly sounds like a better recording because the arrangement and performances more suit my taste, so it becomes nigh on impossible to obtain an objective viewpoint on the equipment used.

When you factor in the effort and skill that has gone into both recordings, any difference in gear quality becomes negligible for me.

So i guess i can admit to not REALLY hearing the difference, but will use my wild card and say that its because my subjective perception of the tracks is impeding any scientific analysis as opposed to me being a tone deaf, cloth eared, trance-cadet (who am i kidding?)

Either way, i enjoyed listening to both tracks. Cheers Wiz
Hey thanks

and thanks everyone....the cool thing was this thread didnt degenerate...well not yet anyways....heh...into you gots to have high end...behringer blows etc.....

I like joker better than time too...the performances were better..and there was a spirit of fun when we were tracking the sax....and I think it comes across....

but anyways....thanks again everyone ...and I hope it helps someone, somewhere, sometime...

I know I always jumped on these types of things...

cheers

Wiz
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
awesome comparison, dfegad science.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
nice! i was so hoping that joker was the behringer. I don't know if you mixed it to screw time, but that was a cool test. And yes I do think it was a test. It showed that between 2 different units in completely different price brackets, its possible to make a better recording from either. My night just got better!
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➡️
I was wondering when I recorded piano with a Behringer mixer, which I bought with my first condensers to get phantom power. It costed less than 100 euros for six channels, including 4 mic preamps, pan, eq, .... Then I got a Behringer valve preamp, the Ultragain 2200, which costs also less than 100 € today. At that time, my recorder was a Tascam CD writer. To get to direct-to-disk, I went to a firewire interface, the Edirol FA-66, which having two mic preamps made my Behringer gear useless. I was curious about what would be the benefit from something more recognized than Behringer, but not ready for 4 figures spending. I got then a Focusrite TwinTrak. And finally I was told by a pro that I should get a 'true' preamp and that the DAV BG1 would nice for what I did. I bought the DAV. A fews years ago, I found back the Behringer stuff in the attic and made a shoot-out with the Edirol, the focusrite and the DAV. The takes are here below in no particular order. The mics are Avenson Sto-2.

?

At least the price. About a factor 30 on the cost per channel here. Whether it matters or not to your ears, only you can answer.
Didier, #5 is the best to me. Is it the BG1?
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted ➡️

I look at it like this:

If you record your sound through a ****ty pre-amp, it sucks, it's like finding a beautiful woman with great titties, sexy eyes and nice ass, and then smearing **** all over her face.

What's up with the locker room talk around this place? No wonder this forum is mostly a sausage fest. It feels like a bunch of jocks in a locker room around here most of the time. LOL
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicManic ➡️
Didier, #5 is the best to me. Is it the BG1?
You have got a PM.
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I would describe the difference between a generic on board mixer pre amp and a Neve pre amp as Burlap Vs Velvet.
Both are usable but the velvet is smoother... or maybe like Cuervo Vs Patron.
Old 30th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➡️

?

My ranking is 1, 2, 4, 5, and 3 in order of preference best to worst. Can you PM me the details too.
📝 Reply