Quantcast
Heavily-reverbed drum sound (Raveonettes, JMC, Spector, etc) in Logic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Heavily-reverbed drum sound (Raveonettes, JMC, Spector, etc) in Logic
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Heavily-reverbed drum sound (Raveonettes, JMC, Spector, etc) in Logic

I'm looking for some help in getting that heavily-reverbed (nearly distorted) drum sound that is employed by The Raveonettes ("Black Satin")and The Jesus and Mary Chain (particularly on the latter's song "Just Like Honey"). It's the Phil Spector Wall-of-Sound drums, a la "Be My Baby", but a little more extreme/processed.

I'm using Logic Express 9 (so I don't have Space Designer), and no matter what samples I use from UltraBeat or the Logic kits, I can't seem to get that sound with the various Logic plugins. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on:

a) How to tweak the Logic plugins to approximate this sound, or...

b) Any third party plugins that would assist in this (reasonably priced ones), or...

c) Any drum samples that might help.

I'm working with a Mac Pro, Logic Express, all software synths (mostly Arturia, outside of the Logic synths) triggered from an Akai MPK49. My setup is modest, at best, so I know that I may only be able to get an approximation of what I'm looking for. But any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Brandon
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i don't think you'll be able to get this sound with samples. maybe there's samples of non-close-mic'd drums or just overheads, this will get you closer to it, given the right shells are used. But IMHO you must record the drum takes twice (for the Spector sound), and since samples will give you more or less the same hit every time, it will sound unnatural (to say the least)...
JAMC is easier - it's just a single drum kit drowned in a huge reverb, but a convincing plate without Space Designer? I'm sure there must be free convolution reverb AU/VST's for OSX?
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
no chance!!

BUT you might have a good approximation with Addictive Drums or BFD2. you'll also need a reverb capable of really good plate impressions and/or springs. Chamber will be good too.

Don't use too much of the close mics - keep it rooms and overheads and you'll be away. But striagght samples and "space designer"...... you'll end up chasing your tail!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Compress the reverb. Sometimes I even like (when using the reverb as an insert) to have a bit of drive after the reverb.

Also, get Logic Pro. I know for a fact that Sune Wagner of Raveonettes runs almost everything through the Space Designer.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm aware that I may very well be chasing my tail, here. I suppose that I'll be happy if I can find something that gets me in the general vicinity (and to be clear, it's not the original Spector sound I'm going for, but the F'ed-up version of that sound).

I'll definitely look into Addictive Drums and BFD2. And, I know that there are decent plate reverb plugins out there...I'm currently looking into them. Just wondering if anyone had good experiences with any in particular that might be useful to me in this situation.

Gracehoper--thanks for the heads-up on reverb compression. I'll give it a try. I hear you, re: Logic Pro. It's on the near horizon for me. I recently took the training wheels off from Garage Band into LE and am already itching to get beyond that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why not using "poor plate" with a vicious amount of drive, compression and eq? Worth a try maybe (though i've never used it on drums...)

🎧 10 years
ssh narco -ssshhhhh
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just took five minutes to throw this together for you in Superior Drummer 2.0 as a quick demo

It's a 4-bar simple pattern. 'Dry' is just the standard default kit and 'Verb' is the same sounds, but with more room ambience brought in, the close mics muted and some compression added to the room sound

No big effort made and literally took five minutes to program, create the general vibe and bounce. I hope this helps a little thumbsup
Attached Files

Dry.mp3 (319.3 KB, 1315 views)

Verb.mp3 (319.3 KB, 1393 views)

Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cover'd--thanks for the samples! I went to check out Superior Drummer, but couldn't find a demo version.

I've playing around with stacking reverbs and after hours of doing so, I managed to come up with a combo (Silver, Platinum, and a 3rd party plugin--TAL reverb) that has gotten me closest to what I'm looking for (along with some Chan EQ for Overhead Drum Mics).

Though, I just downloaded the demo version of Addictive Drums (good call, Narco), and even with the one kit that comes with the demo I'm pretty sure that it'll get me where I need to go. The drum samples themselves are better than anything in Ultrabeat and the ability to tweak mic placement and kit-specific reverbs are key. After messing around for 10 minutes, I had something close to what I need...but if I don't call it a night now, my obsession will take me into sunrise.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk.nyc ➑️
Cover'd--thanks for the samples! I went to check out Superior Drummer, but couldn't find a demo version.

I've playing around with stacking reverbs and after hours of doing so, I managed to come up with a combo (Silver, Platinum, and a 3rd party plugin--TAL reverb) that has gotten me closest to what I'm looking for (along with some Chan EQ for Overhead Drum Mics).

Though, I just downloaded the demo version of Addictive Drums (good call, Narco), and even with the one kit that comes with the demo I'm pretty sure that it'll get me where I need to go. The drum samples themselves are better than anything in Ultrabeat and the ability to tweak mic placement and kit-specific reverbs are key. After messing around for 10 minutes, I had something close to what I need...but if I don't call it a night now, my obsession will take me into sunrise.
Like the interface on Addictive drums. Works really well with a TD kit....
πŸ“ Reply