Quantcast
VOCALS RnB; how many vocal tracks in stack? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VOCALS RnB; how many vocal tracks in stack?
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
VOCALS RnB; how many vocal tracks in stack?

I would like to see some numbers in this fase
In the RnB/Urban populair songs in general:
How many vocal backingtracks are there in the totall stack of a chorus(approximentely) in general? With the folowing 3 details:

1. Let's say for songs where the lead singer also sings the backings so ''one artist songs''.

Songs like: Lately - Jon B (backings in chorus).
Icebox - Omario (backings in chorus).

2. Thick/big harmony songs with 3-5 band members as a group:

Dru Hill - in my bed, Boys II men etc...

3. And a class of it's own Michael Jackson's backing vocals in a chorus:

Like: Rock my world, remember the time, someone took your hand out etc...

I would like to see some numbers for a totall end stack with tracks.
Engineers/producers,technical staff who know this because of some expierence with this genre. Or because they've worked with some of these artists in the past?
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Sorry bout the multiple posts, it didn't say it got posted...my fault.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Post read this one, easier to read!!!!!

Ok I usually stack the main hook lead 5 times and I make sure they are sung the exact same way each time or as close to as possible.

Once u get the first solid lead hook, do 4 more stacks and pan 2 of those out to about 30-60 left and right to fill out the lead (leave the first stack lead in the center).

Then use the other two stacks to fill in the empty spots of the left and right hook stacks so it sounds like one full lead vocal or a choir (that's how I like mine), or to where it sounds the best to u.

Then I usually do 2 more harmonies with 3 stacks a piece, leaving one main harmony from each centered, and panning the remaining two from each to fill out the main hook leads.

I also like to either leave one stack unmuted and use it as a guide to sing the other stacks, or sing each stack individually with each previous stack muted.

I know some say they can't tell if it sounds like the previous stack, but if I'm singing the stacks, I know what's good and what needs to be redone, and when you sing each stack with the others muted, it comes out sounding amazing. Just be sure you sing them as close to the same as possible. Try it out and let me know what you think.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
experience

If you are wondering about my expertise, I've been singing, rapping, engineering, and producing vocals, beats, and writing lyrics for about 10 years, so I know what works for me.

Nathan Alexander new album to drop early 2010 on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

or just search for Nathan Alexander. Lemmee know if you think I'm qualified.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thans for your reply and im sure its pretty cool what you doing.
But its not what i ment.

i would like to see numbers of tracks from famous artiests/songs and so on. from people who workt with artist who are famous.
or at least som details and indications about numbers
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei โžก๏ธ
thans for your reply and im sure its pretty cool what you doing.
But its not what i ment.

i would like to see numbers of tracks from famous artiests/songs and so on. from people who workt with artist who are famous.
or at least som details and indications about numbers
..so you want to know if lil' john has 215 tracks going per song, right?..you will find very ridiculous amounts of tracks being used in all kids of music today...Im sure if you did a little searching on google about you favorite records there would be some info as to track count!thumbsup, may take a little bit of digging but I'm sure if you searched here on GS you would find some info also!!

PS..
Quote:
How many vocal backingtracks are there in the totall stack of a chorus
Sounds EXACTLY like griff described, maybe a better explanation of what your looking for!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…