Quantcast
Honest Budget Monitors Under $300 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Honest Budget Monitors Under $300
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Honest Budget Monitors Under $300

Hey guys I'm currently in the market for some decent honest monitors. Currently I'm using Logic 9, Apogee duet, SM57, in a bedroom, but I am using some cheap old speakers and a decent pair of headphones. My setup is really for making good sounding demo's, using a lot of electronic and guitar based music. I don't want to get too crazy over the sound quality since my focus is much more on songwriting, but I do want something nice so I could hear the music clearly and accurately, and so my ears don't get so fatigued (the headphones drive me crazy after a while) . I have very critical ears, and more than anything I am trying to improve as a musician. I just want to be able to get good takes that could later be taken to a studio to mixed and mastered.

Remember to keep it under $300, and that I'm perfectly okay with going used.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I suggest that you consider a used pair of Tannoy original red 6.5" passive Reveals, plus a used small Alesis amp - RA100 or larger. This is easily done for $300, or less. This package would produce a monitor system that would transfer well to consumer listening systems, and would be superior to many of the flavor-of-the-month small active monitors, currently in the $300/pair range.

Best.
Byll
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the red Tannoys. Even the active 5 inch ones (Reveal 5 A) are good bang for the buck. You need to know learn their bass response though.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Second hand B&W DM1's. They literally deficate all over the Tannoys (owned both at one point, the Tannoys are good though) and you could probably pick up a pair for a ton. Something like a second hand Marrantz or Cambridge Audio amp would be a good place to start for your amp too. You might even have enough cash left over for some MDF, burlap, a pack of rigid fibre glass and a staple-gun

Last edited by beanface; 23rd November 2009 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: grammar bad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...brand new Yamaha HS-50M monitors...check out this dealer...if you call for the "Best Price" you should be able to get them for $149 each w/free shipping...

Yamaha HS-50M Studio Monitor - www.rmcaudiodirect.com

...excellent powered mixing monitors (not "hifi" speakers) for the price!...
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
any other suggestions
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtguitarist ➑️
any other suggestions
Try some Avantones/Auratones. You can get surprisingly good mixes if you check the bass in headphones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i like the krk rp5's in this range.
i would steer clear of the m-audio bx5a and behringer truths(truths....)

more important than any pair of monitors, though, is get that room sounding good. a pair of barefoots will sound like **** in a poorly treated room- bottom line.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Smile

.......check Musicians Friend every day and sooner or later KRK scratch and dents will come up, usually very cheap. RP 5 or 6.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the KRKs.

I've used the Tannoys for monitoring (although it was quite a while ago), and found them a bit of a nightmare - very coloured 'nice' sounding midrange, which makes them very unpredictable for mixing. Kinda soft/wooly bass too IMO.

Nice for listening though.

The KRKs are much more truthful IMO (even if they do exaggerate the bass a little, in a pleasant way).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yamaha HS80m's are the tit's cream (and that's a good thing)
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Wharfedale Diamond 8.2a ($150 each)

These speakers are a great value and most beloved on the gearslutz/tapeop forums.

Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 Pro from zZounds.com
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'll throw a +1 at the Red Tannoys. I've got a pair, and their main flaw is making things sound really good. But, they reveal things very well... so you just have to listen past the ear candy.

The KRK R5 G2's are also pretty good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I vouch for the KRK RP5 G2's in that price-range too.

Personally I would stay away from the Yamaha HS50's, as they lack a lot of low-end and the mids sound kinda aggressive.
Samson Resolv A6 and Mackie MR-5's are also decent.
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
went for the krk's. thanks for all the suggestions.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Glad you went with (IMO) the right choice! I don't know know what KRK did, but they got the formula right for budget monitors!

I haven't heard the Samson Resolv A range, but if my Resolv 50As were anything to go by, they'll be hopelessly soft, faaaaaar too sweet and uselessly unreliable (I've given up on mine even as casual listening speakers, they're just damn useless). NEVER again buying Samson kit after that saga (when I first got them, one was faulty out of the box).

Hopefully I was an anomaly though, I know people that have got along with their Rubicons as good budget monitors
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Should I get the RP5s over the Wharfedales?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Honestly I went with the krk's because they were really cheap used off of craigslist, and for my purposes they get the job done. You do get what you pay for though.
Old 11th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW, I ended up snagging the KRKs as well from zZounds new. I couldn't be happier!!!
Old 11th January 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtguitarist ➑️
Hey guys I'm currently in the market for some decent honest monitors. Currently I'm using Logic 9, Apogee duet, SM57, in a bedroom, but I am using some cheap old speakers and a decent pair of headphones. My setup is really for making good sounding demo's, using a lot of electronic and guitar based music. I don't want to get too crazy over the sound quality since my focus is much more on songwriting, but I do want something nice so I could hear the music clearly and accurately, and so my ears don't get so fatigued (the headphones drive me crazy after a while) . I have very critical ears, and more than anything I am trying to improve as a musician. I just want to be able to get good takes that could later be taken to a studio to mixed and mastered.

Remember to keep it under $300, and that I'm perfectly okay with going used.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yorkville YSM-1 canadian made. Ive been using these for about three years with an ra 100. I am getting pretty true mixes from them. $173 cdn each.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
the Wharfdales make everything sound amazing, which is not what you want. but they do sound amazing! good luck finding out what's going on in the highs.

better for listening to jamz on and kicking back, drinking beers after a session.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've said it before, I'll say it again,

NS-A635.
Old 12th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep over jack ➑️
the Wharfdales make everything sound amazing, which is not what you want. but they do sound amazing! good luck finding out what's going on in the highs.

better for listening to jamz on and kicking back, drinking beers after a session.
Yeah, I get the same problem with the Behringer Truth, they sound awesome, which sucks. I can work around them, but my ears surpassed them a while ago.

Of course, you'll get way more accuracy on any of these if you do some room treatment. I'd rather have $300 monitors in a treated room than $3000 monitors in an untreated room.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what about the alesis m1 active mk2s? $300 new... Delicious. 6.5" to boot...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
delicious...luscious sound...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yamaha MSP5 thumbsup

A bit over your budget new, but worth it!

Care,

Mike
Old 25th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah...Yamaha MSP 5 ...once you`ve mentioned an honest sound...
πŸ“ Reply