Quantcast
Suggestions on a vintage sounding pre (under or around $700). - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggestions on a vintage sounding pre (under or around $700).
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Suggestions on a vintage sounding pre (under or around $700).

Well, I'm looking for a nice warm vintage sounding pre to run drums/vocals through.

Need something with nice mid/lows, considering how most of the vocals are going to be male.

Id prefer to stay under or around 700. Recently i've been looking at the Gap 73s. I planned on picking two up and using the housing.

Does anyone have any feedback on these pre's? or suggestions of their own?

Also, they are mainly going to be used with smb7 and at 4047. So i need a decent amount of gain.

thanks for the help/suggestions.
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yep, get a pair, they rock. Ur not gonna get anything near for the price.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
On the zenpro site they offer various mods for the gap 73

Golden Age Pre-73

has anyone tried these out? or know what type of differences they would make in the overall feel of the sound?
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...I would call Warren at ZenPro...let him know what specific applications you'll be using the PRE73 pres for and he'll explain the benefit of each mod...he's not a hard-sell guy...very sincere and trustworthy...he has actually recommended less expensive alternatives to me when he believes something in particular would better suit my needs...

...and as for the PRE73...great right out of the box!...but the modded variations do offer some advantages...either way, you will be impressed...great value...Bo at GAP is serious about developing very cost-effective products that really deliver value...I'm waiting on his new GAP compressor which is still being tweaked...
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried the Avedis MA5 ? That would be in my budget. If it gives more a vintage/warm sound I wouldn't mind spending the extra money. I heard that the noise is more noticable though.

or thoughts on the ISA 1?
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
last i knew the chameleon labs pres were in that price range...I've never heard one so i cant speak for them...but it might be something to look at
πŸ“ Reply