Quantcast
reamping queation - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reamping queation
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
reamping queation

I have a little labs redye, which is a passive di/reamp box. I want to know if i should plug the di directly into my a/d converter which does not have a preamp, or whether it is supposed to then go into the di on my preamp? ps, I am totally aware this is a stupid question.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Redeye is a DI--so it should plug into a mic pre to be boosted to line level.
Old 20th November 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanmd ➡️
I have a little labs redye, which is a passive di/reamp box. I want to know if i should plug the di directly into my a/d converter which does not have a preamp, or whether it is supposed to then go into the di on my preamp? ps, I am totally aware this is a stupid question.
No worries, the only stupid question is an un-asked one.

The RED-EYE's MIC LEVEL output should feed a microphone amplifier for amplification to +4 Pro Line Level strength. This is not to say that it cannot feed a balanced Converter or Tape Machine input. It will be very low however. Basically using a passive DI in the first place transforms the instrument level, unbalanced HI-Z signal, to microphone signal strength, balanced signal, which can feed much longer lengths without being subject to interference.

The Little Labs works one of two ways, ONE way at a time,

When in REAMP MODE;
The LINE INPUT will buffer to INSTRUMENT LEVEL REAMP OUT.

When in DI MODE;
The INSTRUMENT INPUT feeds the MIC LEVEL Balanced Output.

So, with your setup; I would patch the XLR balanced Output into a Preamplifier for proper signal amplification and then onto the converters.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…