Quantcast
Thoughts on New Mackie Onyx-i Series? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thoughts on New Mackie Onyx-i Series?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thoughts on New Mackie Onyx-i Series?

I can't find any reviews or thoughts on the newer Mackie Onyx-i series. Does any here have experience with these? I'd love some reviews, thoughts, and opinion. I'm considering buying a 1220i mixer. It seems to meet all my needs for recording I.E. drums, hands on feel, and it'd go straight in my macbook pro with logic. I'm a little concerned about the drivers and reliablity. It seems people had a lot issues with the previous series. If I don't get a good vibe about these mixers I'll probably go and myself an Apogee Duet.

Thanks,
Brice
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Come on, somebody, anybody!?! I have hard time believing no one on this board has spent used one of these. Anyhow I really need some help in decided how to setup my personal studio and these seemed to be a great first step. Yay? Nay?
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Well, it would appear few if any GSers have tried the new i-series yet, time will give you some opinions....... I've only had the previous generation Onyx mixers (and the Duet as well). I must say I was disappointed with the lack of support/development Mackie made with drivers for the Onyx series (and their firewire products in general).

While I would ordinarily have been tempted to look at the new i-series myself as an upgrade to my Mackie Onyx 1620 with firewire, Mackie's lack of support for their gear is such that I would most certainly now consider one of the Allen & Heath Z-series firewire mixers instead. Mackie support and development just plain sucks...... it's non-existant.

Love the Duet though!

Steve
Old 19th November 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I don"t know anything about the i series but I have had to deal with Mackie with the original ONYX. Although they did reply to the problems I have had with it, I haven't got it working because of incompatibilities.
This mixer has been out for a long time and the drivers still suck. Even with the most common computer available they don't seem to get their drivers together.
They are a big company and make great products but the drivers are a big joke that will stop a lot of potential buyers.
I hope Allan and Heath are better but who knows.
I just want my equipment to work as it should.
Don't go the Mackie way.
Old 19th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have the older 1620. I never had many problems with the drivers, so I love it. I am intrugued by the new i series stuff but i have no real need for an upgrade and i can't really afford it so I'll keep the 1620 for now...
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonkSF โžก๏ธ
I can't find any reviews or thoughts on the newer Mackie Onyx-i series. Does any here have experience with these? I'd love some reviews, thoughts, and opinion. I'm considering buying a 1220i mixer. It seems to meet all my needs for recording I.E. drums, hands on feel, and it'd go straight in my macbook pro with logic. I'm a little concerned about the drivers and reliablity. It seems people had a lot issues with the previous series. If I don't get a good vibe about these mixers I'll probably go and myself an Apogee Duet.

Thanks,
Brice
I own the previous 1220 with Firewire option, and it's personally been a dream for me. I use Mainstage live a lot, and the Mackie allows me to simultaneously use the Firewire option (for Mainstage's effects and instruments) while at the same time using the analog mixer for outboard instruments and microphones. I probably transport that thing, with tons of abuse, four times a week with my band. The only thing that has happened so far is...nothing!

Using Logic and Mainstage I have had zero driver / latency issues, and the thing is built like a tank. I'm also abusing the crap out of it!
๐Ÿ“ Reply