The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this right?
Old 15th November 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Is this right?

I'm going to be connecting an 8 channel DigiMax8 D8 pre-amp into my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 via a lightpipe to get 8 more inputs on my interface. It goes like this:

DigiMax8 LightPipe/ADAT OUT ---> Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 LightPipe/ADAT IN

1. Is the signal arriving via ADAT from DIGIMAX the same speed as the signal connected directly into Focusrite interface? (Meaning the sound comes into my DAW at the same speed via ADAT and XLR/TRS inputs on my interface, or is there a difference in latency between them)

2. DIGIMAX has "Clock" button on the front, this is pretty much obsolete, considering I'm not clocking DIGIMAX to my interface, but rather using it in an analog way. Am I thinking right?

All help appreciated
Old 15th November 2009
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Mikeren's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted ➑️
DigiMax8 LightPipe/ADAT OUT ---> Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 LightPipe/ADAT IN

1. Is the signal arriving via ADAT from DIGIMAX the same speed as the signal connected directly into Focusrite interface? (Meaning the sound comes into my DAW at the same speed via ADAT and XLR/TRS inputs on my interface, or is there a difference in latency between them)

2. DIGIMAX has "Clock" button on the front, this is pretty much obsolete, considering I'm not clocking DIGIMAX to my interface, but rather using it in an analog way. Am I thinking right?

All help appreciated

No noticeable latency between ADAT inputs and analog direct. Technically, maybe so--audibly no.

You're not going to use the Digimax 'in a analog way'. ADAT is digital, and the clock is actually the most common problem.
The sample rate (clock) has to be set the same on the Digimax and Focusrite.

Equally important is that one unit is the master for clocking and the other is the slave.
You'll have to check your manuals to confirm you set it up right.

In my set up the ADAT pre doesn't have any digital in so it has to be set as the master and the DAW clocks to it as a slave.
(The way you have yours connected, you'll have to do the same).

Failure to get the rates and clocking correct will result in clicks and pops in your audio.

Good luck
MR
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeren ➑️
No noticeable latency between ADAT inputs and analog direct. Technically, maybe so--audibly no.

You're not going to use the Digimax 'in a analog way'. ADAT is digital, and the clock is actually the most common problem.
The sample rate (clock) has to be set the same on the Digimax and Focusrite.

Equally important is that one unit is the master for clocking and the other is the slave.
You'll have to check your manuals to confirm you set it up right.

In my set up the ADAT pre doesn't have any digital in so it has to be set as the master and the DAW clocks to it as a slave.
(The way you have yours connected, you'll have to do the same).

Failure to get the rates and clocking correct will result in clicks and pops in your audio.

Good luck
MR
Good info man

I didn't buy DigiMax yet, just trying to figure it out so I don't buy something wrong.

The only thing I'm not clear about then is what should I set DigiMax to?

1. 48 khz clocking rate on DigiMax, this is the clocking rate of my Focusrite Saffire right now.

or

2. External on the Digimax, so it clocks to Focusrite's internal clock, regardless of what settings I set my Focusrite to (seems more logical)
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Mikeren's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The clock rate and the external/internal settings are separate.

The clock sample rate must be the same individually on the pre and interface.

The relationship of master and slave is obvious, its whose output goes into whose input...

So, timing goes with the digital connection (when no wordclock is available).

Which ever piece is the output (Digimax) has to be set to master (internal) and the input (Saffire) set to slave (external).

Same sample rate and clock master/slave set up--that's it.
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeren ➑️
The clock rate and the external/internal settings are separate.

The clock sample rate must be the same individually on the pre and interface.

The relationship of master and slave is obvious, its whose output goes into whose input...

So, timing goes with the digital connection (when no wordclock is available).

Which ever piece is the output (Digimax) has to be set to master (internal) and the input (Saffire) set to slave (external).

Same sample rate and clock master/slave set up--that's it.


HAHAHAHA...you confused me SO MUCH now man heh

This is really misleading, do I need to set the same 48 hz clock rate on both of them, or mess with internal/external?



I don't get it, wouldn't Saffire Pro need to be the master/internal, since I'm plugging Digimax via lightpipe into Focusrite Saffire?

(Saffire is the interface I'm using for my DAW)


SOOOOOO CONFUUUUUUSED
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Mikeren's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
You have to do BOTH!

You are making it hard on yourself--I've said the same thing every time...I am certainly not misleading you!

(1) The clock rate has to be the same on both.

(2) The device you are coming out of (Digimax) is set to master, the device you are going into (Saffire) is set to slave.

If you wanted to make the Saffire the master clock you would need to run an additional digital cable from its ADAT out to the Digimax ADAT in (if it even has one) just for clocking. You could then (and only then) set the Saffire to internal (master) and Digimax to external (slave).
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeren ➑️
You have to do BOTH!

You are making it hard on yourself--I've said the same thing every time...I am certainly not misleading you!

(1) The clock rate has to be the same on both.

(2) The device you are coming out of (Digimax) is set to master, the device you are going into (Saffire) is set to slave.

If you wanted to make the Saffire the master clock you would need to run an additional digital cable from its ADAT out to the Digimax ADAT in (if it even has one) just for clocking. You could then (and only then) set the Saffire to internal (master) and Digimax to external (slave).

I'm pretty sure you can only set Digimax to either, 44.1, 48, Internal, or External, you can't set it both to 44.1 and Internal (that's why I'm confused)

I get your second part though man
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
bump
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Mikeren's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've told you EXACTLY how to hook it up--more than once.
If you have the manual you must have missed this part...

"• Clock. This button sets the DigiMax D8 to External digital sync or sets the Internal sample rate.
o Press the Clock button once to set the clock to internal sync and your sample rate to 44.1 kHz.
This will make the DigiMax D8 the Master clock of your system. It will be sending out word clock via the ADAT output.
o Press the Clock button twice to set the clock to internal sync and your sample rate to 48 kHz.
o Press the Clock button three times to set the clock to external sync. This will make the DigiMax
D8 look for a master clock via the BNC word clock input. Your sample rate will automatically change to match that of your master clock.
Please note: If you are using the DigiMax D8 to record into a DAW application like Logic, ProTools, Cubase or Sonar, you must set the sample rate inside your host application to match the sample rate you set on your master clock generator."

Good luck.
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeren ➑️
I've told you EXACTY how to hook it up--more than once.
If you have the manual you must have missed this part...

"β€’ Clock. This button sets the DigiMax D8 to External digital sync or sets the Internal sample rate.
o Press the Clock button once to set the clock to internal sync and your sample rate to 44.1 kHz.
This will make the DigiMax D8 the Master clock of your system. It will be sending out word clock via the ADAT output.
o Press the Clock button twice to set the clock to internal sync and your sample rate to 48 kHz.
o Press the Clock button three times to set the clock to external sync. This will make the DigiMax
D8 look for a master clock via the BNC word clock input. Your sample rate will automatically change to match that of your master clock.
Please note: If you are using the DigiMax D8 to record into a DAW application like Logic, ProTools, Cubase or Sonar, you must set the sample rate inside your host application to match the sample rate you set on your master clock generator."

Good luck.
Thanks man
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Mikeren's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
No problem. I'm glad you got it!

MR
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 50 views: 45509
Avatar for anilnc
anilnc 23rd June 2011
replies: 2347 views: 396129
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 4 days ago
replies: 15929 views: 1524295
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump