Quantcast
Apogee One as DAC to Adam A7s - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee One as DAC to Adam A7s
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Apogee One as DAC to Adam A7s

I mix on my July 09 MacbookPro which has 2 x USB & 1 x Firewire ports, but no expresscard slot.

I use a Focusrite LiquidMix plugged into the firewire port, which only leaves USB to run a DAC to my Adam A7s.

Will my Apogee One be good enough for this? (using a 1/8" stereo jack -> 2 phono lead)

Or should I get a better USB DAC - any recommendations?

Or a different way of doing the whole thing?
Old 14th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
After a little more research it seems I could use the "optical digital audio" output on my MacbookPro

connected with a "Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable"

to a standalone DAC, such as the Apogee Mini-Dac

thoughts?
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Don't quote me on this but I don't think the converters and that in the One match the higher standards of other apogee gear. The Mini DAC might though, but I'm not 100% on that.

Best USB interface I can think of is the RME Fireface UC, depends how much you wanna spend at the mo.
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Seems like a good match to me.

How does it sound to you?
Old 21st June 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maku ➑️
After a little more research it seems I could use the "optical digital audio" output on my MacbookPro

connected with a "Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable"

to a standalone DAC, such as the Apogee Mini-Dac

thoughts?
BUMP...

What did you end up doing? Did you successfully use your Apogee One as a DAC for monitoring?
Old 22nd June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You can find stellar deals on the older firewire duet. They make a fine front end to monitors, tho I use mine with the emotiva airmotivs...
Old 23rd June 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban_blanco ➑️
BUMP...

What did you end up doing? Did you successfully use your Apogee One as a DAC for monitoring?
I grew pretty quickly out of that idea - had a Duet 1, then a Duet 2 and now use an Ensemble & Rosetta setup.
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have A7's. Also an Apogee One, and the Apogee Mini-Me and Mini-Dac.

I use the One for portable stuff. I can tell you this, the Mini-Me/Mini-Dac combo sounds better than the One does. They are both clear, but I would go as far as to say that I even found the One to be brighter. Comparing converters is hard business. But I will tell you the first time I heard the Mini-Me and Mini-Dac with my old HR-824's, I had to have them. It was like a blanket was lifted from in front of the speakers. I also think the clock on the mini-me helps considerably.

I do feel the same way about the Apogee One. It's fantastic for it's size, and the sound is excellent. But then you are comparing a $250 product, to something that costed around $1000 new for just the Mini-Dac alone. The mini series used to be porable...I had the carrying cases and all. Now portable fits in my pocket

Just realized this thread is way old. Maybe this information will be useful to esteban
πŸ“ Reply