Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sub or new speakers?

Hi all,

Thanks for any help or advice given
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you havent done any acoustic treatment a sub could make matters worse. I am in a similar boat as you and I simply make my low-end decisions on a nice set of headphones.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker ➑️
Hi all,

I have 5inch active monitors connected to my audio interface. I feel that I am lacking a lot of low end bass.

I am thinking of either getting 8inch monitors or a set of pc monitors with a subwoofer. Something like this:
"http://macbitz.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/logitech-z2300.jpg"

However my only concern is how the subwoofer would interfere with my main 5" monitors, as they do not have a cross over. Also I am unsure how I would connect them to my audio interface (apart from through the headphone port).
Whether your room is treated or not is a pretty important factor when you're considering adding a sub. Chances are that you're already experiencing acoustic issues that are making lack of bass even more noticeable, and while I understand that it seems like adding a sub would solve that problem, it'll actually make it even worse. You'd definitely have to add a crossover as well.

Given the the choice and assuming that you're working in an untreated space, I'd go with the 8" monitors. For that matter, the 5" speakers might be just fine.

Frank
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 ➑️
Whether your room is treated or not is a pretty important factor when you're considering adding a sub. Chances are that you're already experiencing acoustic issues that are making lack of bass even more noticeable, and while I understand that it seems like adding a sub would solve that problem, it'll actually make it even worse. You'd definitely have to add a crossover as well.

Given the the choice and assuming that you're working in an untreated space, I'd go with the 8" monitors. For that matter, the 5" speakers might be just fine.

Frank
Nice! I love when I get things right by Frank!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for the kind replies.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$h Marty ➑️
Nice! I love when I get things right by Frank!
Hahah...sorry man. I didn't even see your response or might have deleted mine.

200GBP isn't much for a proper pair of 8" speakers. Then again, I can't imagine it being enough to a sub and cross over either.

Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which speakers are we talking about?

It's no use just saying 'an 8" speaker'. I've used 6.5" speakers which go deeper than some 8" speakers, and 5" speakers which go deeper than some 6.5" speakers.

Also don't confuse 'exaggerated bass' with 'deep bass'. Many monitor speakers (Genelec springs to mind) simply have more bass than they should to compensate for the fact they don't actually go very deep...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am looking for deep bass which is relatively accurate.
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You aren't really going to get that at this price - and I've never found subwoofers to be particularly accurate for music - you always get funny things going on around the crossover point unless your acoustics and budget allow for a truly ideal setup.

Depending on what you want to use the monitors for, I'd save your cash and wait a bit - I've never heard a budget monitor speaker with accurate deep bass. Tapcos are all bass-boom (although relatively pleasant sounding), Samsons don't really HAVE any low end, KRKs (my favourite budget monitor) have a relatively inaccurate but powerful low end which makes them very nice to work on, and I really can't think of anything positive to say about the M-Audios I've heard so far.

Never heard a Behringer monitor, and although I've read that they're 'surprisingly good for Behringer', the company's track record would suggest they're less than stellar.
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'd go with an awesome pair of headphones for your price range. I prefer Senn. HD 280 Pro.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…