apogee duet vs. focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
apogee duet vs. focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
apogee duet vs. focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP

hello there,

I really need you advice. I need an audio-interface for around 400 bucks.
I can`t decide between the apoogee duet or the focusrite saffire pro 24 DSP.

is the pre-amp and the ADC of the focusrite on the same level as the duet?
focusrite uses a jitter elimination technology. so this must be a clean ADC I guess but the question is more if the apogee ADC makes a hearable difference and what unit sounds more "expensive".

it`s possible to bypass the pre-amp of the focusrite like in the duet to use the unit with other pre-amps?
I`m also interested in the saffire DSP-effects but only if they are really good. I got some in my E-MU card which are better than any plug-in I know... so the DSP-effects of the fousrite should be on the same level.

also the focusrite is able to emulate different rooms for monitoring. this is a nice feature but I guess there is already some software that could do this too or am I wrong?

best wishes

treewhispers
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Apogee Duet vs. Saffire Pro 24

BUMP.
Old 8th October 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
im thinking about going with a echo audiofire. no experience but they look like a bargain for the price.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I would, instead, look at the Presonus Firestudio Mobile. More inputs, solid preamps... I, personally have had great luck with Presonus products.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have a focusrite saffire pro 40 and i have heard a apogee 200 converter and its night and day to me.
Old 9th October 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've just bought the Apogee duet and i had the Focusrite Saffire Pro. The Duet sounds ****ing wicked. The Focusrite is also sounding great but i reckon the Duet sounds just that bit better. Really enjoying the Duet!! Unfortunately the Duet has less ins and outs plus no midi (theres a midi breakout cable). In saying that, at the moment i have the tertra, emx1, and the apc running through the computer. EMX1 via Midi in/out to USB cable. No Problems so far with that. The Focusrite suited me at the time for my PC based set-up. The Apogee wins for sound and integration though, now that i'm mac based. If you need all those ins/outs maybe the Focusrite is for you. The Apogee ensemble is a whacking £1500 too, if your wanting more ins/out from Apogee. Hence my Duet decision. Plus, Apogee is where its at right now. most people in the know will tell you this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo ➡️
As far as "why" the Duet (subjectively) offers better preamps and conversion...I'd say it simply boils down to the design and engineering. You're looking at a $500 no-frills box with two channels of analog I/O, with one knob controlling everything in software versus a $1200 box with eight channels of analog I/O, ten channels of digital I/O, with a big chassis with a bunch of knobs, connectors, etc...it's not surprising that the Duet sounds better when it's actually more expensive on a channel-by-channel basis (and, not surprisingly, on par sonically with Apogee's $1950 Ensemble, which is pretty close to the 003 in terms of features but quite a bit better sonically (again, objectively, of course)...

Hope that helps.
📝 Reply