Quantcast
Mackie Big Knob Issue - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Big Knob Issue
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➡️
so I guess I'll just come right out of the converters into my monitors which are active?
And just attenuate the monitors?
yeah - but be careful eh and dont make it a permanent solution !!!
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
yeah - but be careful eh and dont make it a permanent solution !!!
thumbsup
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
oh ****...the big knob is gonna have to become a headphone amp or paper weight. major difference in fidelity without it in the chain..

the thing that confuses me thus far is that the stereo track I print back back to in pro tools from my smart c1 distorts my monitors if i leave the fader at 0 for monitoring...if I back it down for monitoring it clears up in the monitors. Therefor the monitors must be getting clipped at the input stage
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Hi
Just looked at the block schematic for the BK.
The mono function happens after the trim pot AND the main volume pot (the BK itself) so the possibility of level mismatch at points other than full up or down does not surprise me.
They have stuffed too many 'features' in to obtain accuracy (or would need a serious amount of accurate components).
Bear in mind however that even (or especially) passive 'controllers' have their own set of compromises.
Matt S
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
on my rig at home all i do is mixing...so I am keeping it converters right into monitors
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
exwel's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Moderator
 
narcoman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➡️
on my rig at home all i do is mixing...so I am keeping it converters right into monitors
hey - please put an attenuator in there somewhere.... I blasted out one set of tweeters on my Sigma 6.2s about three years ago with "direct from DA".... Save that horrible panic you get struggling at max white noise fest from a crashed audio driver!!
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
vls's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
So... there are some news: I went to the Nano Patch and everything is fine! Big Knob is now doing the TV stuff
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
hey - please put an attenuator in there somewhere.... I blasted out one set of tweeters on my Sigma 6.2s about three years ago with "direct from DA".... Save that horrible panic you get struggling at max white noise fest from a crashed audio driver!!
will dothumbsup I can foresee trouble
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
AmongstTheLiving's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Say you wanted to monitor directly from your converters. Is there a headphone box out there that will pass audio without affecting it so you can still monitor from phones?

I guess I could always just patch it in to another set of stereo outputs and monitor the stereo mix buss in parallel, but what about those poor bastards with only 2 outputs?
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Hi
Doesn't 'Digital' grate! (Isn't Digital great).
Matt S
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmongstTheLiving ➡️
Say you wanted to monitor directly from your converters. Is there a headphone box out there that will pass audio without affecting it so you can still monitor from phones?

I guess I could always just patch it in to another set of stereo outputs and monitor the stereo mix buss in parallel, but what about those poor bastards with only 2 outputs?
yea I thought about this...what I am gonna do is take a mult off my converters and bang that into the BK for cans
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 54 views: 8202
Avatar for clan
clan 23rd June 2004
replies: 1 views: 1385
Avatar for snapmastering
snapmastering 8th April 2007
replies: 1258 views: 311423
Avatar for Brakka
Brakka 21st December 2019
replies: 2427 views: 422505
Avatar for funka
funka 13 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump