Tutorial on signal path in a Daw mixer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tutorial on signal path in a Daw mixer?
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Tutorial on signal path in a Daw mixer?

Hello folks,

I´ve never been that interested in learning how/where/why you should send the input signal through a DAW ( I use Logic Studio btw) until recently.
Is there a nice tutorial somewhere on the net that explains the basic stuff like - when to send for example the OH´s to a bus and what good will it do etc.

My workflow basically goes like this:
preamp-AD/DA- channel 1 in DAW mixer-stereo bus (for reverb etc)- output-monitors
Is this it? It doesn´t sound like a A+ mix if you know what I mean (hehe).
Or can I send the signal thru a bunch of busses with various effects, and it will be better than just putting all of the effects on the same bus ( because of the internal signal routing yada yada)?
What the hell are the busses/AUX´s good for except sending several channels through the same reverb etc?

Sorry for the shaky English skills, and for the (maybe) noobie questions.

David
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
A DAW is (or should be) all about versatility in that you can work how you want to, and probably more importantly can change things for different sessions.
Direct stereo mic to 2 tracks is easy but maybe you want to have loads more signals, with effects and so on which you can assign to busses or groups.
I am suprised the manuals for the software don't at least run through various scenarios.
It can make a simple stereo recording. It can emulate a 'real' desk with multitrack busses, it just depends how you like to work.
Matt s
Old 10th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Agreed with the above post. It is all about how you like working. You can keep it as simple or as complicated as you like it. That being said, it is often good to use aux's for reverbs and delays with the mix control on the delay's and reverbs set all the way wet. This allows you EQ and pan the verbs and delays separately from the original signal.

I am also surprised that most DAW's don't include more tutorials in their manuals. I guess if they did though, there wouldn't be a market for all those educational books and videos. I have the first book of the Apple Logic training series, and its pretty good, but most of what I know came from experimenting.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…