Quantcast
pocket POD or pocket POD express - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pocket POD or pocket POD express
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
pocket POD or pocket POD express

Hey guys, I own an X3 live by line 6...I usually record direct with it, and it sounds good. but I highly recommend using the XLR outputs on it and into the XLR input on your audio interface, if you guys wanna record direct. it sounds totally different. When I use a normal TRS line the sound is really harsh at the edges, like muddy and crackles at the edges...hard to explain..you probably know what I mean.

anyways, to my question...

I am thinking about buying either the pocket POD or the Pocket POD express. How are they when recorded directly to a mixer or an audio interface?

Maybe someone can post a sound sample? just the guitar sound it self with no other instruments. preferably a crunch tone....

thanks
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
anyone?
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There should not be an audible difference between XLR and TRS, unless there is a problem with the cable or connectors.

I own the Pocket POD and have gotten some decent sounds out of it, recording direct into my DAW, through an external preamp, and through a guitar amp miked up. I have never owned any other Line6 gear, so I can't really compare.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
When I had PODXT Live, I would connect via USB and use the GearBox or PodFarm plugin. This way you are using the X3 as an audio interface and a dongle for the plugin.

I prefer recording this way, because I can dial in a sound that is close to what I want, record the part and then tweak it later to work with the song and rest of the instrumentation.

Ron
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I own the XTLive but record direct into UX2 and use Gear Box, Pod Farm or Guitar Rig. Lately I've been using Addrenilin III amp sims into a Tech 21 Power Engine and miking with an SM57.

There's no reason to buy any more Pods if you already own the X3. It's the same algorithms in a smaller package, but less amps, less variability.

If you can't get what you need out of the X3, you aren't trying hard enough.
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider ➑️
I own the XTLive but record direct into UX2 and use Gear Box, Pod Farm or Guitar Rig. Lately I've been using Addrenilin III amp sims into a Tech 21 Power Engine and miking with an SM57.

There's no reason to buy any more Pods if you already own the X3. It's the same algorithms in a smaller package, but less amps, less variability.

If you can't get what you need out of the X3, you aren't trying hard enough.
I agree with this and the other posts 100%

why buy a scaled down version of what you already have? if the X3 can't do it you either aren't trying enough or it isn't the right tool for you to use and buying another POD won't be either
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe ➑️
I agree with this and the other posts 100%

why buy a scaled down version of what you already have? if the X3 can't do it you either aren't trying enough or it isn't the right tool for you to use and buying another POD won't be either
Oh I love my X3 I think it is amazing...and guys, XLR and TRS does sound different when recording direct...anyone who owns an X3 live should try this. it's very harsh...I found that the XLR sounded almost realistic...but when i used TRS it sounded kind of dull and harsh...hard to explain...

And the reason why I wanna buy the Pocket POD is because, I wanna use it live and just plug it in to a mixer, cuz many times here I'd go to a gig and the amps are very cheap quality...so I'd prefer to use something small like the pocket POD, and just use that as my "amp", by just using its' amp simluations...And i figured that the price is pretty good for the purpose that I would be using it for.

I have the sans amp GT2, but it isn't good direct. it has the same qualty as the X3 live when using the TRS cable...

so I don't know....can anyone be kind enough to post a sound sample of the pocket POD recorded direct?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my question is why not just use the X3? I'm confused as to why you need another POD at all.

I own an XT live myself and I absolutely love it. I added the Bass expansion pack, downloaded Pod Farm free, etc. I don't have the XLR outs on mine and I think it sounds great direct with the 1/4" cables and through USB.

Use your POD X3 live and in the studio. I just don't see why spending money on a scaled down version of what you already have is going to be beneficial in anyway.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My main reason is simplicity, and i don't wanna risk hurting the X3 cuz it seems very fragile. and I live in country where there is no official line6 dealer that will be able to fix an X3 properly if it brakes. so i'd rather spend a little bit more on something new and simple for my gigs. and keep my X3 live in the studio...and use something mobile for the road if you know what mean.

have you tried using an external distortion pedal before the line6? How'd that sound?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would not recommend the Pocket POD for live use. The navigation of menus and tweaking is not very intuitive, since most of the buttons have multiple functions. It's easy enough for recording, since you can spend the time getting it right and/or use the software on your computer to tweak it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubbernek ➑️
My main reason is simplicity, and i don't wanna risk hurting the X3 cuz it seems very fragile. and I live in country where there is no official line6 dealer that will be able to fix an X3 properly if it brakes. so i'd rather spend a little bit more on something new and simple for my gigs. and keep my X3 live in the studio...and use something mobile for the road if you know what mean.

have you tried using an external distortion pedal before the line6? How'd that sound?
they make cases and bags for them, I'm not sure what all your shows entail but there are professional guitarists that use the X3 on intense tours and they seem to hold up. Just know your gear and what it can handle. Don't stick it on the floor where people can step on it and keep it in a storage case when not in use so it can't be damaged that way.

Perhaps if gigging is your idea you should consider selling your X3 and instead of getting a pocket POD get the POD X3 live. That would be far more rugged and versatile from what you are telling me than buying a stripped down POD that's made of nothing but cheap plastic. My XT Live is built like a tank.

I use an A/B switcher I don't see why you'd want to run a distortion or overdrive in front of the POD X3 or an XT, they have models of the Rat, Tubescreamer, Fuzz Face, etc. If I want to use say my Superfuzz or Sparkle Drive I just switch my signal path entirely to my real pedalboard and go straight to my amp.

I suppose I could try doing it this weekend.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs ➑️
I would not recommend the Pocket POD for live use. The navigation of menus and tweaking is not very intuitive, since most of the buttons have multiple functions. It's easy enough for recording, since you can spend the time getting it right and/or use the software on your computer to tweak it.
so the sound quality of the POd pocket is no different than the X3 you reckon?
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubbernek ➑️
so the sound quality of the POd pocket is no different than the X3 you reckon?
I haven't compared them, but the Pocket POD models are based on the POD 2.0.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if that's the case their will be a noticeable difference in tone between the Pocket POD and the POD X3. I've used every generation of POD minus the pocket versions. The 2.0 was good when it came out but imho it doesn't hold a candle to the XT or X3. Still good quality (and usable) sounds but the XT and X3 to my ear are more pleasing.

I still just think you should stick to what you have or sell your X3 and upgrade to the Live version of the X3 if you are concerned about durability for gigging.

Honestly you will not have the available tone sculpting options with anything else.

And the ability to run a balanced XLR direct out live or in the studio would really come in handy imho. Plus with the X3 you can setup two rigs instead of one in the case of the XT or the 2.0 (and Pocket PODs).
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe ➑️
if that's the case their will be a noticeable difference in tone between the Pocket POD and the POD X3. I've used every generation of POD minus the pocket versions. The 2.0 was good when it came out but imho it doesn't hold a candle to the XT or X3. Still good quality (and usable) sounds but the XT and X3 to my ear are more pleasing.

I still just think you should stick to what you have or sell your X3 and upgrade to the Live version of the X3 if you are concerned about durability for gigging.

Honestly you will not have the available tone sculpting options with anything else.

And the ability to run a balanced XLR direct out live or in the studio would really come in handy imho. Plus with the X3 you can setup two rigs instead of one in the case of the XT or the 2.0 (and Pocket PODs).
So the pocket POD is based on the X2 models? yuck.....damn, I think I'll stick to X3 then...;-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm thinking this is perhaps as much to do with matching levels and impedance as much as anything

The Xt Pro I have has a switch on the back which you set according to what you're hooking up to - amp / pa / studio etc

Is this the same thing the OP is referring to..?

I've just got the UX2 to use with PodFarm in Logic and I have to say early impressions are excellent. Certainly not authentic or 'just like the real thing' as of course there is no substitute, but it is very useable thumbsup

The only thing I wasn't aware of is that Line 6 have adopted the attitude of, "Well if you're daft enough to upgrade, then that's your own stupid fault" when it comes to the issue of their gear not working under Snow Leopard I had no idea this was such a problem (yes, all weekend was spent reinstalling Leopard, applications and rescuing data just to get this thing working properly!)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Pocket Pod doesn't sound as good, and mine broke within a month of standard use. I fixed it, but then it broke again. I took it apart, and the soldering on the circuits underneath is very shoddy. Not very well made units at all, but not surprising considering the price.
πŸ“ Reply