Quantcast
A push in some direction.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A push in some direction....
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
A pre and a pair....

It's about recording season (busy) for our little studio. Got a few bands (6) coming in for the next couple of months. So here's my dilemma.
I've got $2000 to spend on a few things. I need a really good matched pair and maybe a cool dual pre. This is only a plee for a good push in the back over one or more of these selections. Or other possibilities?

For mics I have to choose from:
C414XLS can get these for $611 a piece new.
KSM44's can get these for $445 a piece new
Josephson C42
Blue Dragonflys around $4-500 a piece new.
AKG 451b can get these for $280 a piece new.

I've used a few of these and a few I have not. I do the research online and on paper. God do I do the research. It's a blast.

For pre's I have to choose from:
Trident S20 can get it for $600 new
another Bae, OSA or two? I have a few more spaces in the rack for these. But it would be quite a bit more for 2 channels versus the Trident.
Langevin Dual Combo
TOFT

My front end is good. Not the best, but definitely good enough. My acoustic environment is good. My monitoring is very good. I realize that I can get away with not buying any of these and producing a good product. But I would also like to knock out a few cool new pieces for the ride ahead. Again, I have searched the forums.

Thanks for checking it out and thanks for the input.
Old 17th August 2005
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Anyone.
Old 17th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I like the Dragonfly's for quite a few things. They are a bit finnicky with placement, but once you hit the sweetspot they are pretty amazing - I've used one on ac gtr, fiddle, cello, FOK mic for drums, etc. If we had 2 I would try them on OH's and have no reason to believe they would not work in that application. Good for some vox, too.

For pres, since you have some space available in the API rack I think it's a nobrainer to fill a couple more spaces! What do you have in it so far?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
It's an 11 spacer with only 4 OSA's (2C's,2L's) in it. I want some BAE's. I like them alot. I like the OSA's alot though. I plan on filling this with pre's only and buying another rack down the road for the 550's, 560's, 525's, Purple comp., and the OSA comp.

The only reason I'm at a standstill on the pre's is that I wanted some bang for the buck. Since I can get the Trident way lower than market value I thought about jumping on it.

The mic problem is the main one I'm worrying over. I have some good dynamics and a couple good condensers. I would just like to get a good matched pair of workhorses. This is why I've kind of leaned toward the KSM44's or C414's. I've also neglected the SDC's, because I only have a matched pair of MC012's that I dig. So maybe I'm lookin in the wrong spot. It sucks being young and "dumb with money". But I wouldn't change it for the world.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Go for the Bae's if you can. The Dragonfly's make pretty good "go-to" mics, as long as you take the time to place them (which might take a little longer than some other mics). Oh, and they are GREAT on clean electric guitar!

The KSM44's would be a more flexible (cuz of the multiple polar patterns). Do you have any multipatterns already? You could also consider a pair of AT4050's or AT4047's.

Edit: just saw the price you can get on the Trident. Never used one, but that IS a good deal. You could buy it anyway, try it, and if it doesn't work out sell it without a monetary loss...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I do have a 4050. I wouldn't mind a pair I guess, although I don't think I would go to them first for overheads. Maybe. I like the 414's most of the time. I've only used the KSM 27's (same capsule as the 44? Cheaper!!) but I do like them. The dragonfly is cool as well. Am I missing a major contender? An R-121 and a cheap pair of SDC's is kind of looking good.

Probably going to go with the 2 BAE's or the 2 OSA-L3's. Maybe one of each and the Trident.

Come on guys, tell me what to buy. joking Just need the advice.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
What about a pair of Beyer M160's!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I've always been a 414 guy. I know some people really don't care for them, but I really like mine (the old EBs) At one time or another, I have used them at every position on the drum set, and for pianos, acoustic guitars, chamber music in x-y and orchestras in Mid-Side.

I don't often choose them first on vocals, but I have one or two clients who match up with the 414 very well, so you never know.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Believe you me, the M160 was definitely on the list of candidates. The 414's are kind of falling to the wayside. I'm thinking maybe the 451b pair and another 4050. Or the KSM44 pair and a 451. Looking at the Biz and the Big Daddy. Damn. Wish I could just buy it all.
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have heard nothing but good things about that model 414. I want two myself. Bob O. digs it, and so did Lynn Fuston. I would say they have listened to a lot of mics between em.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Very true. And I do heed the word of those two thumbsup . I just need to squeeze the most out of my cash right now. I know, I know, I know. I'm not supposed to cheap out and have to replace the **** later. I don't think the 451 or KSM44 is cheaping out though. It's just a toss up between a matched pair of larges or a matched pair of smalls. With either of those I can get three good mics out of $1000-$1100. With the AKG's, I just get the 414's and start cutting into my pre money as well.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Any other advice? There are about 5 people on this whole board that have anything to say about the S20. It seems positive. If I get a BAE 312 or an OSA of some sort for around $500. Then get the Trident, I think I will be alright with the $1100-$1200 spent. Which leaves roughly the same amount for mics. The budget is $2300 now.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was on the drum recording workshop at TapeOpCon. We used a pair of Dragonflies for OH and they sounded amazing. We did have to switch the preamps. Once we plugged the Grace 201 the Dragonflies KILLED!

A friend with a pair told me that the Blue mics are a little pre-finicky, but when you find the right match...MMMM.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mic wise, my vote would be for the 414's. Great for drums, ambience, guitar cabs and at a push, brass/strings.

Pre wise, if you can afford it, a pair of BAE's. I'd be interested to try the Langevins having never played with them personally (I've heard good things).
Old 20th August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I just jumped off the other side of the bridge on this. I bought 2 SM81's, until I get the C42's, a Royer R 121, an API 512c, and an FMR RNLA. Hell yeah. Got the Royer for a smokin' $700. **** yeah.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
................and the Trident S20.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber
Any other advice? There are about 5 people on this whole board that have anything to say about the S20. It seems positive. If I get a BAE 312 or an OSA of some sort for around $500. Then get the Trident, I think I will be alright with the $1100-$1200 spent. Which leaves roughly the same amount for mics. The budget is $2300 now.

I checked it out when I was looking for my first *good* pre. Just a stupid kid wandering around in guitar center. After hearing it, even in the *pro-audio* room there, I found it to be really bright and lacking any meat or balls as I like to say. I ended up going with the MP-2nv....which is all of your budget, but is awesome.
A few months later I was freelancing at a studio that had the Trident pre and once again I found it to be really really bright. Ended up on the drum room mics which were taped to the floor. It didn't quite capture the lows I normally want from floor mics but it did a great job of giving the cymbals and the drums a physical space. It's a cool pre...but not my first choice on anything really. But YMMV.

-justin herlocker
Old 21st August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Where are you seeing the Dragonfly for $500?
Old 21st August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
A friend. Just one of those favor things, you know.
Old 22nd August 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I need to find a friend at a Blue dealer...
πŸ“ Reply