The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX 163X Info.
Old 18th May 2009

🎧 10 years
DBX 163X Info.

Hi everyone...Well I have yet another question...I called a guy my dad know's to see if he had some preamp tubes (he builds the things) well he did not have any, and I asked him if he maybe had a compressor laying around and he said yes, I have an old dbx 163x laying in my clothset, I asked how much and he said, well...how's $10 sound..I bought it right away...Anyway,,to my question...What do you guy's use this thing on?
Old 18th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, it can go an just about anything IMO.

I have used it on on acoustic guitars, vocals, drum close mics, bass, violins, .....

I don't use it on everything all of the time, but I have tried it on many things and have always liked the result.

A genius little comp. I have a pair BTW and would like to have a couple more.
Old 18th May 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o ➑️
Well, it can go an just about anything IMO.

I have used it on on acoustic guitars, vocals, drum close mics, bass, violins, .....

I don't use it on everything all of the time, but I have tried it on many things and have always liked the result.

A genius little comp. I have a pair BTW and would like to have a couple more.
Thanks man..I guess I will just play around with it for a while...Guess it was a good deal for $10.00
Old 19th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hell yes, 163x's should go for around 40 - 50 bucks. Sometimes more these days, 10 dollars is pure theft. They are wonderful, I have six of them! Tracking with them is very cool. Not wonderful every time on every source... BUT DAMN CLOSE.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo2 ➑️
hell yes, 163x's should go for around 40 - 50 bucks. Sometimes more these days, 10 dollars is pure theft. They are wonderful, I have six of them! Tracking with them is very cool. Not wonderful every time on every source... BUT DAMN CLOSE.
Great man..I still haven't found time to play with it yat..but I cant wait

🎧 15 years
Talking

I wanna try one with a Gyraf 1176 once I can score one. I heard that people used to put an 1176 with a dbx 165 following it. The 163x is nowhere near the same as a 165 by the way but it definitely has its pundits and critics alike. Still I see one floating around in the big boy engineer racks every now and then so they must like that little black beauty on something!

I use mine for vocals, bass, guitars, kick drum, in a pinch Overheads will work too.

It has a really weird critter sound to it that goes well with tube and fet mics alike.

I use mine on vocals chained with an ART Pro Vla.

The 1176 will probably replace it for tracking since I'll be all over it for the next few months drooling over it (honeymoonin).

You ever love a piece of gear so much that you think it can solve EVERYTHING?

Damn this chorus sucks!

"What if we put an 1176 on it?"

Peace
Illumination

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️
I wanna try one with a Gyraf 1176 once I can score one. I heard that people used to put an 1176 with a dbx 165 following it. The 163x is nowhere near the same as a 165 by the way but it definitely has its pundits and critics alike. Still I see one floating around in the big boy engineer racks every now and then so they must like that little black beauty on something!

I use mine for vocals, bass, guitars, kick drum, in a pinch Overheads will work too.

It has a really weird critter sound to it that goes well with tube and fet mics alike.

I use mine on vocals chained with an ART Pro Vla.

The 1176 will probably replace it for tracking since I'll be all over it for the next few months drooling over it (honeymoonin).

You ever love a piece of gear so much that you think it can solve EVERYTHING?

Damn this chorus sucks!

"What if we put an 1176 on it?"

Peace
Illumination
LMFAO...YES I HAVE....ANd the funny thing is..It would work..not the unit itself but if it wernt for that piece of gear I would not have tought of what I did..Ya know what I mean, or am I just ramblin..Im still kind of dizzy from some horrible music I just listened to
Old 19th May 2009

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
What do you guy's use this thing on?
Certain electric guitar parts. Fender tweed and light use on spaghetti western tremolo seem to work well. I use it more like an audio bouncer, and less like an audio promoter (if that makes any sense...).

Expect some noise floor.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I concur that preamp -> 163x -> PRO VLA is a great chain.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo2 ➑️
I concur that preamp -> 163x -> PRO VLA is a great chain.
Im going to try it with a mpa gold micing a classic 30

🎧 10 years
There is a mod for it too, use the search, I'm too pooped to do it now, but, I will.
Old 20th May 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisindie ➑️
There is a mod for it too, use the search, I'm too pooped to do it now, but, I will.
I went to the sight that some oone put on the page, but 163x was not listed just 160x?
Old 21st May 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I went to the sight that some oone put on the page, but 163x was not listed just 160x?
Allow me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wiliams
Lots of them, Jim williams and others do them, this from TapeOp:

They get the VCA replaced with a that 2180, the opamps are National's, the power supply is rebuilt with large caps and a polyprop film bypass. The input impedance is lowered to 100k ohms. The hf roll-offs are removed. Phase compensation and power supply bypass caps are added. Ferrite beads are installed. All electrolytic caps are replaced. The audio cap gets polyprop film bypasses. Bandwidth is raised one octave on top, 3 octaves on the lows.

or

i replaced the 4558's with bb opa2134's in my dbx 163x's with good luck. you may need to add 0.1uf's to the power rails and a small (pf) cap for bandwidth limiting, depending on the circuit.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Allow me:
WOw..thanks man..After a while I think I start going cross eyed stairing at this monitor!!

🎧 10 years
I gotta dig mine out and start the modding too, I have some other stuff that could use a modding so, I'm going to set up my desk and get to it, right after the parts come in.
Old 23rd May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love using my 163X on bass guitar.

I find that my 160X gives the bass a really big fat/full sound whereas the 163X has a slightly thinner sound (but in a good way) that i often find more appropriate.
Old 24th May 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic ➑️

I find that my 160X gives the bass a really big fat/full sound whereas the 163X has a slightly thinner sound (but in a good way) that i often find more appropriate.
I just ran my bass through it and jamed for a while...nice sound but this bass sucks..it's frickin hum is loud..Im not a pro ( jack of all trades) so I dont know if it's the pickups or what!!

🎧 10 years
Probly the cable or dirt in the jack if it isn't a loose connection.

The best use of the DBX 163 is vocals, it's an "over-easy" compressor so it's transparent at lower levels to fairly high levels, it does have some very heavy compression too, so, I like it for versatility.

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Kinda takes out the low-mid honk for me as well. 163x is the balls!!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just ran my bass through it and jamed for a while...nice sound but this bass sucks..it's frickin hum is loud..Im not a pro ( jack of all trades) so I dont know if it's the pickups or what!!
did you run the bass into the dbx, or through the loop of your amp or after your DI?

rich

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
did you run the bass into the dbx, or through the loop of your amp or after your DI?

rich
I ran it through an mpa gold DI out into the dbx out into line in of maudio 610 into reaper , but it is very noisy all on its own and I don't know what to do....I think it's the pickups but Im not sure!!!

PS. Im using gold plated Planet Waves cable?
Old 25th May 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I'd get some whirlwind cable, easier to repair. They make on with Neutrik gold ends too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any actually use the DI on their 163X when tracking?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Any actually use the DI on their 163X when tracking?
I have used it many times on bass and electric violin. It does a very nice job.

🎧 10 years
Mines on the patch bay so I use it on anything. It usually does fine on whatever I patch into it.
Old 26th May 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mines on the patch bay so I use it on anything. It usually does fine on whatever I patch into it.
Same here...I cant blame the 160x for my noisy ass bass

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Same here...I can blame the 160x for my noisy ass bass
killer quote. between this and the chris lago song, i am less miserable today.

rich

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
killer quote. between this and the chris lago song, i am less miserable today.

rich
I ment "CANT" I missed the "T"...happy it worked out for you though!!
πŸ“ Reply