wierd question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wierd question
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut
🎧 15 years
wierd question

on my mixer theres "inserts" what do thos do. Thats probably a dumb question.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac
🎧 15 years
it does exactly what it says:
it's an insertpoint in the signal chain for a piece of gear, i.e a reverb unit, or the like.
Old 5th August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear
🎧 15 years
An insert point is like a detour in the signal path. For example, on a channel insert, if the insert appears pre EQ, then before the EQ section, the signal from that channel goes out of the console to whatever you have plugged into the insert point, through that piece of gear, and back to the console just before the EQ. Many consoles have unbalanced insert points that appear on one TRS jack where the tip is the send and the ring is the return (or vise-versa), largely as a cost-sutting measure. Keep in mind that with an insert, the entire signal passes through the insert point, so it's not like an aux send or something where the wet signal is re-combined with the dry signal. Insert points are usually used with outboard that creates a change in the character of the actual signal (like an EQ or dynamics processor).

Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump