The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aphex Compellor 320A opinions?
Old 12th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aphex Compellor 320A opinions?

Heard this unit mentioned in another thread and was wondering about it...

I'm mostly tracking singer-songwriter Americana: vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass (and once in a blue moon drums). Already have an RNC and an RNLA but they have only one set of controls for both channels and would like to have another dual mono comp to work with.

From what I can gather this is more on the clean and uncolored side. What are its strengths and weaknesses?
Thanks
Old 13th May 2009

🎧 15 years
Clean, smooth and slow. Doesn't grab at all. I use them on acoustic instruments on a fairly regular basis. Kind of a forgotten item but a real steal used if you like what they do. I have a pair of them and they earn their keep.
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
Clean, smooth and slow. Doesn't grab at all. I use them on acoustic instruments on a fairly regular basis. Kind of a forgotten item but a real steal used if you like what they do. I have a pair of them and they earn their keep.
Are they much different than the earlier 300 model?
Thanks

🎧 15 years
Honestly I couldn't even tell you which ones I have. As far as I know all compellors have the same basic sound/circuitry.

update. i looked at some units on Ebay and mine are the older versions. Still, I believe a Compellor is a Compellor is a.........anyway, I got my last one for less than $200 on Ebay and it was well worth it.
Old 13th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John N ➑️
From what I can gather this is more on the clean and uncolored side.
When I first used one, I would have sworn the inputs were directly wired to the outputs. I finally got one pumping after sending it some abusive metal guitar levels. I am sure it is quite useful, I was just much more inexperienced when I encountered this unit. I wouldn't mind one for my rack, especially for what you can get a used one for. They were quite spendy when they came out as I recall .
Old 13th May 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N ➑️
Heard this unit mentioned in another thread and was wondering about it...

I'm mostly tracking singer-songwriter Americana: vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, bass (and once in a blue moon drums). Already have an RNC and an RNLA but they have only one set of controls for both channels and would like to have another dual mono comp to work with.

From what I can gather this is more on the clean and uncolored side. What are its strengths and weaknesses?
Thanks
i had two Symetrix 421,
similar to aphex compellor
its like an Automatic Gain Control "AGC Leveler"
its a verry sutile effect, but sounds so amazing.
becouse its upward & downward compression from the threshold point.
most compressors are agressive downward compression.
AGC Level tightens up the sounds like a face lift,
like botox or something. it was so amazing for synth pads.
were a bit noisy but i miss them so much.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The 320 "A" has better bass handling capabilities. They made a slight change to the original.

The Compellor is not color, it's POLISH. Can really pull a mix together.

Many US FM radio stations use them as a pre-processor to great effect.
Smoothes out bad gain riding by the DJ.

Compellor
Old 22nd May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
jumping back in after the thread seems to have petered out...

but I'm wondering if the Compellor is similar to the RNC's 'Super Nice' mode?

both are said to be gentle and subtle...??
Old 22nd May 2009
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I believe the companion unit to the compeller is the aphex 720 dominator II. In the '80s I would imagine many fm stations used the two in series in the broadcast chain leading up to the optimod / whatever - perhaps still so today. I really like the dominator... a somewhat transparant brick wall peak limiter that can act like a compressor with decent tone shaping through multi-band peak limiting. Back on track with the compeller, I've long wanted one based solely on the quality and operating characteristics of the dominator. I say go for it. Keep in mind its a +4 balanced piece of gear.

Thats how it sounds to me, +/- 3db.

Dave P.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh, I have the FMR RNC as well.... for my applications, in super nice mode its so smooth on vocals. A big +1 here.

Dave P.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd ➑️
I believe the companion unit to the compeller is the aphex 720 dominator II. In the '80s I would imagine many fm stations used the two in series in the broadcast chain leading up to the optimod / whatever - perhaps still so today. I really like the dominator... a somewhat transparant brick wall peak limiter that can act like a compressor with decent tone shaping through multi-band peak limiting. Back on track with the compeller, I've long wanted one based solely on the quality and operating characteristics of the dominator. I say go for it. Keep in mind its a +4 balanced piece of gear.

Thats how it sounds to me, +/- 3db.

Dave P.
PM'd you....
πŸ“ Reply