Quantcast
Better Kick - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Better Kick
Old 31st July 2005
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Better Kick

I have been doing sound locally for about 3 years. The setup is anywhere form 3 to 6 bands, 1hr each. One of the things that I have noticed that I would like to improve is the sound of the various kick drums. I could easily install a trigger onto the kick when I am installing the microphone. Then I could mix the direct input with the triggered input to get a better sound out of it.
My question: is there a sampler or some other device that when triggered will let me adjust the sound that comes out of it? I do not need a unit that gives me every sound a drum set can make, (for $1800) just something simple for a kick drum.
any ideas?

thanks
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
have you tried the sub-kick....
i have two now....one for the b-15 and one for the kick
both purchased in the last three months............
they've been a big hit with a lot of experienced engineers....
there's not much else i know of for $249 that has made
so many people so excited - it works out to about $40 per engineer.....
in your case, with live sound and lots of bands, you might
get that down to $ 3 per drummer.......

be well

- jack
Old 2nd August 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I've used Alesis D4's in the past, it's not a great unit, and the sounds kind of suck, but it does have some kick settings that work in a live setting:

Alesis D4

Just run your kick mic into it, then take the output to another channel of your board and mix it in.

I wouldn't do it on a recording (ok, I have and no one ever noticed), but live it's a super easy quick fix for under $200
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hey.

I guess you may have already found your answer, but I do a lot of live sound and have worked with some real crappy systems in the past, so as a matter of interest, what is wrong with the kick sound you are getting with your current system?

Do you use a regular kick drum for each event?
Do you use a regular system for each event?
Is the system underpowered?
Is it a lack of low end "air" or a lack of chesty "thump" that is making you look towards triggers??

Ciao

11 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
if you are using something like cubase, nuendo, logic (sequencer) you can buy a drumtrigger (used one on ebay) just for converting the kicktrigger-signal into midi, than record that midi track.

go on and buy battery or battery 2 (VST-plugin) and you can have every kickdrumsound you can imagine.

for general improvement, use a multibandcompressor on the kickdrum.

the subkick thing:
you can build one on your own. get an old speaker (from your old hifi-system) with enough inches. build a wooden hang for the speaker to place it infront of your drumkick. then connect the output from the speakers with an XLR and go to the preamp. now youi have a subkick for 10 euros/dollars.

good luck
๐Ÿ“ Reply