Quantcast
Alesis 24 Ch HD recorder VS. Pro Tools 002r + PreSonus 8 Ch Adat Box - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis 24 Ch HD recorder VS. Pro Tools 002r + PreSonus 8 Ch Adat Box
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Alesis 24 Ch HD recorder VS. Pro Tools 002r + PreSonus 8 Ch Adat Box

Does anyone have any technical knowledge of the Alesis HD24 (24 bit 48khz) digital hard disc recorder? How are the A/D converters? And has anyone dumped tracks into digital editing software such as Pro Tools from the Ethernet port? How does it all work, how does it all sound?
I want a lot of tracks to record at one time to get a live feel out of the band. I've been told the A/D converters are not so good on the Alesis, and was told to just go with the 002r and an adat 8 channel converter/pre-amp (pre-sonus) to give me 16 tracks, but I want more tracks than 16.
I already have an M-Box and Waves Gold bundle Plug-Ins.
So whats going to be better, ditch the alesis and go with the digi/adat combo, or use the alesis, and dump my 24 tracks into pro tools and mix on the M-Box?
I'm staying at 24/48 because my computer can not handle higher sample rates, so the 002r is not important for higher sample rates.
Oh, and my console will be a mackie 32x8x2.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You said you want more than 16 so really you have answered your own question, the alesis has 24, is more stable and hassle free then a computer and will sound just as good as any 002 and adat type combo.

The only thing I don't know is how long the transfer takes. could be a pain or not.
Old 24th July 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Transfer over ethernet will cause you to commit suicide. If you want to dump into the computer - Id very highly and strongly recommend either hooking up the ADAT Lightpipe into a capable soundcard, or, for less than $200, getting the firewire transfer hardware. You do not want to use the ethernet unless you have all the time in the world.

As for sound and all - it is a great unit and sounds excellent. Its also easy to use.

Which one to get? Well, it sort of depends how youd rather work. I prefer to track without a computer and edit on one, so I track to HD24XR and lightpipe out to the computer.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-slice
, but I want more tracks than 16.

Thinking about it, The number of times I have used more than 16 to record basic tracks for a live band is rare, unless you are multi micing multi amping guitars (which is more likely in an overdub situation anyway) you most likely be OK with 16. Unless of course Keyboard players come back in fashion.

For live bands it usually 8 or 10 for drums, 2 for bass, and even if you have 2 guitar amps and 2 mics each, that still leaves 1 for a vocal. Now of course if a drummer turns up with 2 kicks, 5 toms, and 4 of the band sing, and there is a keyboard player with 2 stereo keyboards, then 16 is going to leave you short.

But that situation vary rarely happens. and there are always workarounds, for example,

you may combine bass amp and DI to 1 track or just use one,

you may combine snare top and under to 1 track or just use one,

only use 1 mic on amps (I prefer 1 mic in the right place to 2 any-day),

share a mic between close toms

don't do stereo room mics

print both kiks to one track (not recommended)

do all the backup singers as overdubs

print all the keys to stereo (not recommended)

treat lead vocals as a guide only and don't print it (not recommended)

tell the drummer to stick his 5 toms up his a s s (very recommended)

there are always ways to compromise ans still have control.

every now and then a situation will arise when 20 to 24 inputs (and more) will be needed, think about the kind of work you do and want to do in the future, for basic band tracking 16 will do just fine.
Old 24th July 2005 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 15 years
I'd try to limit yourself to 16 inputs (or 18, as the Digi002 can handle up to 18 inputs: 8 analog, 8 on ADAT, 2 on spdif). The Digi002 setup will be way more flexible, and saves you from transfer/backup hassles.
Old 25th July 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I've used the HD24 quite a bit and I've done dumped it to protools. like they said, definately don't do ethernet. other than that, i think the ad/da's are just fine. may be better ones out there, idk. i'm still fairly new to this. But the school i go to uses the hd24 and love it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm not a big fan of the HD24s....

I once turned on one when I was mixing after leaving for the night and for some reason the HD24 thought it would erase all my tracks...........

So I'm slightly jaded.

But I would recomend protools anyway. When tracking, you figure you'll be using around 12-16 inputs at a time unless you in Nashville....
Lowdbrent
An HD24 is more stable than any computer, as it boots from RAM, not a hard drive. It is not likely to crash. In fact, I have never had one crash. I have had my PT HD rig crash, and I know darn well that 002 rigs can be more finnicky.

You can't always just pick up and go with an 002 rig. You can't rent it out to others than need a back up HD24.

Either way the data is on a drive and that is where the big question of missing files comes into play, not in the interface or processor. Time is money in either case. If you are working with low budget bands on a 002 or a HD24, they probably don't have alot of cash anyway, so I can't say that one would save time over the other. You will still have to do a back up of some sort. So, if you consider the time needed for that, loading into a DAW is kind of moot point really.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I'm recording with the HD24 and mixing in LE. I like this for a number of reasons. The HD24 has been completely solid for me, though I don't have that many hours on it. I don't like recording to computers. A limited number of tracks forces players, and especially vocalists, to make choices before or during the session and not leave me with 200gigs of bloopers to comp. That's not a small matter when working for little or no money. Anyway, there's a yahoo group for the Alesis. There's lots of info there. Good luck,
Oliver.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not familiar with the Alesis, but I have a Mackie SDR2496, which is quite a similar kind of machine; I use it for all of the location gigs; I do my editing and mixing in Pro Tools LE/002R. My advice is, if you already have a Pro Tools system (even if it's just an Mbox) and need more than 16 simultaneous inputs just go with the Alesis; I found a quick and convenient way to do file transfers between my mobile rig and the Pro Tools DAW: I just mounted one of the Lian Li trays on the Mackie and had an identical one on the computer: all I have to do is just power down everything once I'm done recording, unplug the drive from the Mackie (whcih reads and records on standard FAT32 formatted drives) and plug it in the Pro Tools workstation; in pro Tools I just line up the audio files in the tracks and I'm ready to go. Now, I don't know if the Alesis has a difefrent way to handle tracks and files but I see it's got two drive bays as well...may be worth a try.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal
Thinking about it, The number of times I have used more than 16 to record basic tracks for a live band is rare, unless you are multi micing multi amping guitars (which is more likely in an overdub situation anyway) you most likely be OK with 16. Unless of course Keyboard players come back in fashion.

For live bands it usually 8 or 10 for drums, 2 for bass, and even if you have 2 guitar amps and 2 mics each, that still leaves 1 for a vocal. Now of course if a drummer turns up with 2 kicks, 5 toms, and 4 of the band sing, and there is a keyboard player with 2 stereo keyboards, then 16 is going to leave you short.

But that situation vary rarely happens. and there are always workarounds, for example,

you may combine bass amp and DI to 1 track or just use one,

you may combine snare top and under to 1 track or just use one,

only use 1 mic on amps (I prefer 1 mic in the right place to 2 any-day),

share a mic between close toms

don't do stereo room mics

print both kiks to one track (not recommended)

do all the backup singers as overdubs

print all the keys to stereo (not recommended)

treat lead vocals as a guide only and don't print it (not recommended)

tell the drummer to stick his 5 toms up his a s s (very recommended)

there are always ways to compromise ans still have control.

every now and then a situation will arise when 20 to 24 inputs (and more) will be needed, think about the kind of work you do and want to do in the future, for basic band tracking 16 will do just fine.

I do live recording for a living, and i limped along on 16 tracks for awhile, and yes, you can do a lot to scrape/overdub, etc, but in the end you're going to wish you had 24. I'm up to 32 now but rarely ever get over 24. when doing live recording you only get one shot at it...you may as well have as many tracks at your disposal as you can. thumbsup
πŸ“ Reply