The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's in YOUR mic locker???
Old 31st July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestifer ➡️
about ten years ago i got sick and sold most of my gear.

in the past year have been rebuilding my personal mic collection.

this is what i am using today. i mostly record bands and artists with live musicians...so have always needed a fair amount of affordable, robust mics to cover live tracking dates.

groove tubes md1a tube. x2
groove tubes md1b FET
neumann u89
soundeluxe u195 FET
soundeluxe U99
coles 4038 ribbon (pair)
AEA R88 stereo ribbon
beyer m160 ribbon x3
beyer m201 x3
beyer m88
telefunken m82
telefunken m81
shure sm7x2
shure sm57x6
shure sm58x4
shure sm81 x3
shure beta 52, beta 56, beta 57
AKG d112 and d1000s
ev re15, re10, re11
lauten audio ls-308 x3
stager sr1a large ribbon
stager sr2 ribbons x2
oktava ml52 ribbon
cascade fathead2 ribbons x2
audio technica 4047FET, 4031 x2, 4033, pro37r
royer r101
diyre ribbons x2
sennheisser md421 x4
BLUE kickball x2, blue ball x3, mouse

my next purchase will be another lawson l47 and 251 set with the tube and fet bodies. i still love those microphones.
would love the 251... is there an AKG d1000s? I know there is an m, c, and e... never saw an 's'. Thx
Old 31st July 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Do you find the Lawson's to be somewhat brighter/open than the icons they're based on?

Generally I hear that with the Advanced Audio mic clips I've heard.
But I particularly like their 49/67/C800G styles.
Chris
Old 1st August 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 ➡️
Do you find the Lawson's to be somewhat brighter/open than the icons they're based on?

Chris
yeah definitely more open sounding than a few of the real u47's ive used. and quieter.

i just could never afford a really nice u47 and i've tried many of the clones and so many are really great.

i started using the lawsons back in the 90-'s and just are used to them and they always seem to work on a wide variety of singers pretty well.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave ➡️
would love the 251... is there an AKG d1000s? I know there is an m, c, and e... never saw an 's'. Thx
oh, sorry. thats a typing error. yeah, 1000e.

my shaky fingers on this little phone are prone to errors.

it is a great mic
Lives for gear
Quote:

Chris
i've heard really great things about all the advanced audio stuff too. i'd really like to check out their 67.

also there is a newer company called heiserman that has a few mics that friends are just raving over. i'm curious to try his 47 and 251 when they are available.

i've just had such great luck with the lawson stuff and my two best friends have studios that i work out of and they each have an l47 in their rooms so it's nice to have the same mic at my place.
Gear Guru

I'm biased towards the more "goey" side of the fence.
Meant in the best way of course.

So I do usually prefer the Vintage-y stuff, like the Heisermans.
My favorite 47 style tube mic of his, is the one with the M7 style capsule.

Also Ben @ Beesneez makes first rate capsules/microphones too.
Over in the "What Mic... Today" thread, in the Main Forum, I just posted a couple of BU67 vocals.

My recording skills are nowhere near the YouTube video of Seawell, where he goes over the BU67. (and he has a BU87 video too).
But it might be a helpful supplement to his fine work (and singing!).
Chris
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
My mic collection as of Aug 1 2022
Attached Thumbnails
What's in YOUR mic locker???-img_7146.jpeg  
Gear Guru

As of 3PM Central/Mountain Time?
Chris
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As of 3PM Central/Mountain Time?
Chris
Yes, that's exactly right!!
Old 1st August 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I tried a CAD GXL1200 today. Kind of dark but nothing really bad like cheap LDC mics. Very usable for a low-fi sound. I use the PuigTec to take out the mud and add some clarity.
Old 2nd August 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
For context, I record at home, either live or overdubbing + mostly reaper, on a mixpre 3 ll. Sometimes I record horns, strings, percussion, KB including large theater organ, live in venues where ensembles are accompanying silent movies.

3x Oktava mk-012 small diaphragm with cardioid, omni, hyper, & large diaphragm 102 capsules. I use omnis & hypers the most, on marimba, piano, cello, horns, accordion.. often use the omnis quite close. The 102 capsules sound great on acoustic guit, guzheng, zither/harp like sounds, & vocals. Close omni on double bass.

2x Line Audio OM1 small diaphragm - live (movie) theater recording, also great up close on bassy reed organ, double bass

2X Line Audio CM3 small diaphragm - similar, arco cello & viola

2X Beyerdynamic M201 TG dynamic - drums, percussion, piano, double bass, horns, vocal

2X Beyerdynamic M160 hyper cardioid ribbon - double bass, marimba, piano, vocal. Great accordion or bandoneon mic

1x MBHO MBD219 super cardioid dynamic - vocal, handheld, any close loud source
Old 2nd August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The 160s get a lot of deserved love around here. I got 2 recently & am amazed at the way they capture metallic ringing sounds. In addition to all the other stuff they capture so well.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
And finally, decent omnis make such a difference catching low end from farther off, especially from sources like theater or pipe organ.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Roberts ➡️
My mic collection as of Aug 1 2022
Beautiful family you have there!

I notice you've got a couple Vanguards along with more expensive specimens, and I'm curious how you think they stack up. I'm particularly curious about the V13 vs the Manley...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Beautiful family you have there!

I notice you've got a couple Vanguards along with more expensive specimens, and I'm curious how you think they stack up. I'm particularly curious about the V13 vs the Manley...
Thanks!

Vanguard is a great company and they build great mics. Very pleased with the build quality and sound as well as the people that own/run the company.

I haven't used the V13 (it's a Gen 1 btw) in a shoot out with the Manley. I'd say overall the Manley has a brighter voicing. I've used both on vocals at different times and they both perform very well. I'd add that I've used the V13 on instruments as well (in particular on fiddle) and have loved the result. When I think of the Manley, I think 'vocals only' for some reason. Hope that all makes some sense.

Last edited by Jim Roberts; 2nd August 2022 at 06:15 PM..
Old 2nd August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you! Great run-down indeed, I appreciate it.
Old 5th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
Thank you! Great run-down indeed, I appreciate it.
My studio has a v13 gen2 as well... It was my replacement when I had a custom c12vr stolen from me..

It's been working great for the same purposes as I used the c12vr.. very similar response just not as velvevty in the low mids.. Its still chocolatey but not velvety lol, if that makes any sense.

Male pop vocals, Auto-Tuned Rap, Female vocals, and guitars as well! I used to use our c12vr as a room mic for drums which captured the whole kit beautifully, i'd assume the v13 can do that well too then!
Old 6th August 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelcruz ➡️
.... not as velvevty in the low mids.. Its still chocolatey but not velvety lol, if that makes any sense.
HUH? No that makes no sense to me.
Old 10th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninworks ➡️
HUH? No that makes no sense to me.
Lol, I tried Hahaha! I’m as bad as my clients telling me to make the song sound like some super abstract image… by golly, I did it though! Hahah
Old 15th August 2022
Lives for gear

Mod MXL V67G with U87 Capsule and Nichicon Capacitors (Used on bright vocals & has a clean warm tube kind of sound)
Neumann TLM-103 (Used on dark vocals & has a clean shimmery kind of sound)
Old 15th August 2022
Here for the gear

2 RE20s
3*EV PL10s(my babies,gtr amps,Leslie tops, horns , toms and snare...these are my go to). Anybody want to sell theirs at a fair price?
3*ND 408s
2* Lauten LA 120s
4*SM 81
1 RE 320
1 BEYER 201
1 BETA 91
1 Senn 902
2*A\T 2035
Plenty of regular and Beta 57s,58s
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A lot less than most people here have. About fifteen years ago I had about twenty $300 and under mics. I sold everything and started looking for deals on more expensive microphones.

Neumann U87 - dented grill, no box. $1000 at a pawn shop with shock mount.

Mojave MA-200 - I have a pair of these. One was $500 on eBay the other was $650 locally

Mojave MA-201 - $400 eBay

Earthworks SR-69, SR-77, QTC-1 - traded a Zemaitis guitar I paid $300 for

Royer R-10 (unmatched pair) $400 each used on Reverb

EV CS15E - bought at online auction with a couple Turner 57 style mics for $100

Telefunken Drum Package - 2 M-80s, M-81 and kick mic - full pop, this was expensive but worth it because I use them on drums, guitars, bass amp, etc....

It took me over ten years to get here and I've bought and sold some other mics to arrive here.

Now I pretty much have everything I need for what I do. Mics are cool and I would love to have more but I would say buy the best you can afford and don't be afraid to look for deals.

I can say it's a lot easier to record with better mics (IMHO/YMMV).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For my small drum studio:

Neumann U87ai
Neumann km184 (pair)
Oktava mk012 (pair)
Sennheiser 421-II (pair)
Telefunken M80-SH
Telefunken M82
Shure Beta52
Shure SM57 (x3)
Beyerdynamic M201
Warm Audio WA-251
MicParts T47
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Archival, field, location and occasionally vocals and instruments for bands. Full time normal job makes this a hobby / favours:

SDCs:
Telefunken M61 cardiod pair - poor mans Schoeps
Line Audio CM4 4x - who says you can't have good sounding + cheap + well made mics?
Line Audio OM1 pair with acoustic balls
AT 4022 - omnis that punch way above their weight. poor man's DPAs, clear big and open
SE8 omni pair - probably going to sell these and get more AT or Telefunken SDCs and capsules. I usually grab the OM1 or 4022s because they blend with other mics better. But if you want that Neumann sound these can do it for half the price

Ribbon:
SAMAR AL95 pair - great spot mic for hard to capture instruments and vocals. basically don't even need EQ, and they're small

Dynamic:
AKG D1000E - go to guitar cabinet mic for high gain, good on snare too. hard to find one now with a working EQ switch
Shure Beta57 - the old version with the vertical side vents

LDC:
Nothing right now at all anymore. Sold 'em. Most people doing bands or vocals have these now, not much need for them with the SDCs that are much more useful for everything.

Looking at getting:
Telefunken M60 master set, these sound as good as Schoeps to my ears, like 95% there for 50% the price. Not a fan of the shiny metal capsules but you can't have everything

AT 4051b pair. The 4022 sounds so good I might as well get the ones with the swappable capsules and a tighter pattern. I usually say no to recording in bad rooms but these and the Telefunken hypers sound great

Roswell K67X, K47. Some color options for different instruments and vocals in a small body. vocalists tend to question my SDC + ribbon setup and I have to explain why I prefer them. The price, size, and sound is right. What's not to like when you can't justify high end mics for a hobby?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
This is a fun thread — interesting to write my list just as a stock-take! I’ve spent years doing live stuff hence all the dynamics, but slowly starting to turn the tide and build some more studio-relevant stuff.

1 x AEA R84 (new addition today!)
1 x Sontronics Aria
1 x Sontronics DM1b
3 x Sontronics DM1t
1 x Sontronics DM1s
2 x Sontronics STC1 (+ alternate omni capsules)
1 x Sontronics STC10
1 x Sontronics Corona
1 x Sontronics Halo
4 x Sontronics Solo
1 x Shure SM57
1 x Shure Beta 52a
1 x Shure Beta 58a
1 x Audix f5
1 x Audio Technica AE6100
1 x Custom-Made Subkick
1 x Big Red Vintage Telephone, converted into a mic
1 x Sanyo Talkbook Microcassette
1 x Austrian Audio OC7 (due any day now)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbesq ➡️
This is a fun thread — interesting to write my list just as a stock-take! I’ve spent years doing live stuff hence all the dynamics, but slowly starting to turn the tide and build some more studio-relevant stuff.

1 x AEA R84 (new addition today!)
1 x Sontronics Aria
1 x Sontronics DM1b
3 x Sontronics DM1t
1 x Sontronics DM1s
2 x Sontronics STC1 (+ alternate omni capsules)
1 x Sontronics STC10
1 x Sontronics Corona
1 x Sontronics Halo
4 x Sontronics Solo
1 x Shure SM57
1 x Shure Beta 52a
1 x Shure Beta 58a
1 x Audix f5
1 x Audio Technica AE6100
1 x Custom-Made Subkick
1 x Big Red Vintage Telephone, converted into a mic
1 x Sanyo Talkbook Microcassette
1 x Austrian Audio OC7 (due any day now)
What styles / models of LDC would y’all recommend to add alongside my Aria for variety? I’d like something with seductive mids… I sometimes find the Aria a touch bright for my liking.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelcruz ➡️
My studio has a v13 gen2 as well... It was my replacement when I had a custom c12vr stolen from me..

It's been working great for the same purposes as I used the c12vr.. very similar response just not as velvevty in the low mids.. Its still chocolatey but not velvety lol, if that makes any sense.

Male pop vocals, Auto-Tuned Rap, Female vocals, and guitars as well! I used to use our c12vr as a room mic for drums which captured the whole kit beautifully, i'd assume the v13 can do that well too then!
Sorry to hear of the theft.
Chris
I need to update things here!

I now have:

Neumann u87ai (for recording vocals);
Neumann km184 (pair, for recording acoustic guitar);
Neumann kms105 (I'm gonna sell it, probably);
Heil PR35 (I'm gonna sell it, probably);
DPA 2028 (replaced my kms105 for a condenser live vocal mic);
Sennheiser md441 (replaced my PR35 for a dynamic live vocal mic);

Not about microphones, but I'm thinking about get a SSL SiX to help in preamps/mixing, and to even use it live, in the weddings I make occasionally. I'm just researching about it to see if it might be overkill for my purposes (recording mixing and live mixing).
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey who has the best Oktava MC-012 mod out there at the moment? I had it done on a pair YEARS ago. I haven't used them in forever and went to record some acoustic guits and neither of them pass audio.

I also have a Mic Parts V-251 mod (from an acm-1200) that I screwed up and need professional help. Anyone suggest someone who can help?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Add me to the list of Oktava 012 fans. I've had mine since around 2000. They're great on overheads and acoustic guitar. I've also got:
  • Rode NT1
  • SM57
  • SM58
  • Blue Bluebird - a little dark for my taste, considering selling
  • Slate ML-1
  • Slate ML-2

The ML-2 is a new addition and I haven't had a chance to really put it to work yet. The ML-1 is fantastic. I don't really care if the U47 sounds like a U47 or not. It sounds great, and so do the other models in the right context. Getting that many colors in one package for that price is a game changer for people who don't have thousands to spend on mics. I'm sure the ML-2 will be the same.
📝 Reply