Another Guy Asking "Which Reverb Unit Should I Get?" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another Guy Asking "Which Reverb Unit Should I Get?"
Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Another Guy Asking "Which Reverb Unit Should I Get?"

Hi,

So, as the thread title says, I'm looking for a solid, main reverb unit to use for my music. While most of my music is instrumental, and of an electronic nature, I do occasionally record vocals and thus need a unit that's suitable for both things. I have been using an MPX-1 for reverbs and other effects, but since my ears have gotten a little "smarter", let's just say that while the MPX is a good little unit, the seams are starting to show a bit and I want something better.

I'm willing to spend no more than 2,500 USD, looking for something that can do 96k (hopefully) and, again, something that will sound great on vocals and instruments.

Also, I'd like something that has a character-y reverb, but can also be made to sound like a real space if I need it to. Are there any good units that can do all this? I hope I don't sound crazy.

Here are some ideas in no order:

1. Quantec Yardstick - From what I've read online, this thing is amazing. Problem is, I've never heard it, nor do I know anyone who has/or has had it. Money and spec-wise, however, it seems to be what I need.

2. TC Electronic 4000 reverb - This machine seems solid, but some reviews I've read seem lukewarm on it. I like that it can emulate vintage 'verb units though.

3. PCM**** - Though it doesn't do 96k, I've heard this particular unit and I think it sounds excellent. I've seen it in various places for as little as 1,200 bucks brand new. But, yeah, no 96k. Then again, the EMT 250 is an 8-bit, 32khz machine (if I have that right), and it probably sounds better than the pcm****!

4. Bricasti M7 - This unit sounds amazing, but at 3,500 bucks, it's a little too much for me. Then again, I don't think I'd ever need to get another reverb unit. Ever. The M7 could be for me what the EMT 250 is for older producers/engineers/audio enthusiasts. On the other hand, the reverb i heard from this unit sounded frighteningly real- which is great. But, I'm also looking for the artificial-but-still-cool-reverb vibe if that makes any sense.

5. Lexicon 200 - Yes, it's ancient, and doesn't do 96k. But, it can be had for around 1,200 dollars. However, if it craps out on you, you're pretty much screwed. Then again, since it's part of the 480 family (or is that the 224 family?) it's got that classic Lexicon sound to it.

6. Lexicon 480 - Yes, it's ancient as well, doesn't do 96k, is 23 years old, isn't supported by Lexicon, and still costs 5k, but look, it's a 480. It's price tag is double what I want to spend, but, again, if I never had to buy another 'verb box, I would probably do it.

See why I need your help? I'm going nuts with this. LOL.

-- CLP
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you're mentioning things like the TC 4000 and Bricasti M7 then you shouldn't be posting in Low End Theory. If you were deciding between a TC m300 or Lexicon mpx-110 then sure. To answer your question, bump your budget to 3500 and get the Bricasti M7. Done.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What the hell? Oops. Didn't mean to post in the "low-end theory" man. Don't know what I was thinking.

Okay, one vote for the M7.

Thanks,

CLP
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hahaha.. I had to double check which forum I was in.. thought I had warped out of 'Low End' fer a sec.

My vote is for the TC4000

If you are interested in some outstanding reverbs with a different flavour... get an Ensoniq DP/4+. These discontinued units were popular in the mid-90s, and are a veritable gold mine of cool, funky verbs. You can often find used DP/4s on eBay and Craigslist for well under $300.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Gordzilla for the suggestion. The DP4 might be one of my top choices for secondary 'verb box, actually. Maybe a LXP-15 II as well.

I saw a DP4 at the Guitar Center near me several months ago. I shoulda jumped on it.

Okay, so, you're for the TC. A PCM 96 was suggested to me recently as well.

CLP
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you are going to spend that much money the M7 has got to be on the shortest shortlist.

V1 of the software that's now available does spaces, i.e. chambers, plates, halls, rooms and ambience...

V2, due later this year, will add effects. The designers, Brian, Casey and Tim, came from Lexicon and Kurzweil. They have something to prove. If their track record is a good indicator, V2 will put that box out front in effects as V1 did with spaces.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Being that verb is digital nowadays, why a hardware unit vs a plug or a few plugs?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if you have a HD system or a Powercore then i would try VSS3.
i know its from the M3000 not the M4000 but it is very good.

if you need a hardware unit, i think anything at that level will be good its more a matter of personal taste.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's a good question. Eventually I bet it'll be a toss-up.

The most important factor is the algorithm, the magic from the designer's head. It matters even more than the processing platform.

Hardware boxes have dedicated horsepower and the top units have more of it. That gives the designer a known quantity that they can count on.

Native computer-based verbs are getting better all the time and the horsepower available to them in a host computer increases all the time. That's why I think it'll eventually be designer's and buyer's choice.

DSP assisted verbs are in the middle, using dedicated DSPs and host computer CPUs.

Bricasti says the M7 has more processing power than any other box out there. I have one and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
Being that verb is digital nowadays, why a hardware unit vs a plug or a few plugs?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt ➑️
For some types of sound design and ambient style music, I haven't heard ANY plug-in verb that even comes close in its ability to create long, smooth, lush tails without sounding cheesy and metallic. Frankly, I don't think they exist . . . yet. I haven't tried all of the plugs available, but enough to feel confident in my statement. I keep experimenting with verb plugins and sometimes I think, "oh this is pretty nice" until I compare it to my old PCM 80 and I immediately say to myself "what was I thinking"? When A/B'd, in this way the plugs sound like crap. Again, I'm referring to material that requires long, smooth tails, not short plates or the other verbs that are commonly used in pop/rock/country music. I find a lot of plugins that can handle those applications quite well - especially convolution, UAD, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're on a Mac, I'd look into the PCM96.
Shame they dont support PCs.
480L seems to be going for really good prices these days.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I did a demo last month of the PCM96 and Bricasti M7.
Both great reverbs, but I kept the Bricasti. The problem I had with the Lexicon is that the software is not PC compatable. At almost a thousand dollars less, its still a good sounding reverb and also has nice delays and chorus.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
m7 first, then 4000. The rest - a bit "so what" for me. I demand source reverb and true stereo - the oher units are a bit lame in this dept (apart from first one which I don't know).
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got a Lex 200, Eventide H3000 D/SE, PCM 70, PCM 60 and SRV330 and an old Orban Spring Reverb... I gotta say that the PCM 60 is a wonderful thing. It sounds naturall, is a no-brainer to use and if it breaks (although I've had mine for 10 years and its been a rock) I know I can get another one on E-bay for 400 bucks. I'm actually thinking about getting another one. I like the Lex 200.. but too many people slobber over it and I just think its so so considering it takes up three times as much space as the PCM 60 and yes, you are screwed if it breaks. The PCM 70 doesn't get much love here either.. but it does have a couple verbs that sound stunning too.. my favorite is the default 5.0 Rich Plate. If I had a thousand bucks to spend on verbs, Id get a PCM 60 and PCM 70 and call it a day.
πŸ“ Reply