DI - Active or Passive - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DI - Active or Passive
Old 10th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
DI - Active or Passive

Hi guys - very quick question.

I want to DI passive bass and a strat and a tele, and that's it.

Active DI or Passive?

Thanks

Chris
Old 10th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4175 ➑️
Hi guys - very quick question.

I want to DI passive bass and a strat and a tele, and that's it.

Active DI or Passive?

Thanks

Chris
yes!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
yes!
Kidding! Depends on what you need for #1 the tone, and #2 the rest of your gear.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
active di's(use amplifiers)and can make a better sounding box in the inexpensive categorie because amps are cheaper than transformers.
for bass and guitars passive di's(transformers) sound a lot sweeter with less noise but good ones are expensive such as the radial jdi with jensen transformers.$200
i personally much prefer passive. the $30 ones work but for around $100 it gets much better. for $200 and up, it gets seriously better. also, no batteries or power needed.
hope that helps.
Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the comments. I have ordered a JDI, but was a bit worried that the input impedance will be too low for the bass and guitars (their site seems to suggest it is fine for passive bass, but probably not for elect guitars) - am I wrong?
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. I have ordered a JDI, but was a bit worried that the input impedance will be too low for the bass and guitars (their site seems to suggest it is fine for passive bass, but probably not for elect guitars) - am I wrong?
Radial Makes a GREAT product, I wouldn't worry. Just Plug in your instrument and go!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with Adam.. you'll be good to go with the JDI for bass and guitars
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
The Radial is a great DI.. IME, it's the pre you use behind it that'll be in question.. Good luck...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
which would you get better sound out of, a radial or a grace m101 through the di input?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I like the Radials pretty well, but check out a Groove Tubes DITTO box. It can be found used in the same price range and sounds really nice. The only downside is it's a little big to bring out to gig with.

The Grace is very nice as well, but is much cleaner sounding. I like very much for bass, especially.

I liked the instrument input on the API 3124+, but that's a different price range altogether.

Edwin
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

What's the turns ratio of the transformer and what's the input impedance of the mic pre-amp you are hooking it up to?

You need to get up to the 200k - 400k region for guitar inputs.

-tINY

Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh pre-amps. See there's the thing. I am currently going into the hi-Z on my EMU 0404 USB. So the plan was to go through the DI into the EMU preamp.

The whole aim of this exercise is to improve the sound, so should this still achieve it?

For tINY - the input impedance of the JDI is listed as 10kOhm, not sure about the winds or the impedance on the EMU though.

Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want clean.
Bass through Grace.
+1
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ahh pre-amps. See there's the thing. I am currently going into the hi-Z on my EMU 0404 USB. So the plan was to go through the DI into the EMU preamp.

The whole aim of this exercise is to improve the sound, so should this still achieve it?

For tINY - the input impedance of the JDI is listed as 10kOhm, not sure about the winds or the impedance on the EMU though.

Chris
Probably could look into a DI with variable output gain.. ( ie..Ditto as mentioned, I have two....., U-5, Brick, etc...) if you can swing the budget.. This way, you probably won't need a preamp...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A variable impedance source, like an electric guitar with passive pickups and variable tone and volume controls, will often work better with an active DI. An active DI will present a fixed high-impedance input, and the sound won't change as the volume and tone controls are changed. A passive DI might change its sound as the volume and tone are changed on the guitar as the guitar's resistor-and-capacitor components will interact with the DI's transformer.

Instruments with active pickups or outputs (vintage synths, for example) will often work better in a passive DI.

Acoustic instruments with piezo pickups will often work best with an active DI. The active DI will hopefully have a high input impedance (1 megohm or higher), and this may sound smoother with piezo pickups that have high output impedances.

In any case, it always helps to try both and choose the sound that you like.
πŸ“ Reply