Quantcast
Another "What Monitor" Thread - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Another "What Monitor" Thread
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Another "What Monitor" Thread

So I went to guitar center yesterday (the one around me is actually pretty sweet) and a,b,c'd three pairs of interest. Mackie 824mk2's were a, Dynaudio bm5a's were b, and c were Event asp8's. The fourth monitor I'm considering are Krk RP8's.
Mackies flat out didn't impress me in any way, I actually thought they were the cheapest monitor they had out until I looked at them. I refernced some of my favorite songs, and everything seemed, best I can describe, boosted a bit at the ends and the mids seemed to lack something. Just personal prefernce I guess.
The dynaudio sounded a decent amount like my car stereo, where I listen to a majority of my music. I leave the mids and highs alone, crossover at 100hz into a small 10" sub and slightly boost the bass. My car stereo compensates for deficinies in my ears, and so do these monitors.
The Events had one positive over the others, and that was clarity and space between instruments. I could hear individual instruments with more ease, but for monitoring at low levels, these seemed to be overkill. I couldn't get as accurate a sound from them as the dynaudio at lower levels.
Now the Krk's we use at my school aren't in the least bit bad sounding, all the mixes I've done on them came out good, but after a couple hours they do fatigue my ears. Taking a break isn't a big problem, but I'm not sure they're exactly what I want.
Right now the prices stand around:
a.$800
b.$800
c.$800
d.$300
Guitar Center is having a sale coming up, so I'm guessing waiting would be in my best interest. If I go with cheaper monitors, I can invest money into room treating. If I go with more expensive, I have to wait to treat the room. My room is 8'x12'x15' so treating it would make a world's differnce.
Old 13th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr4444 ➡️
So I went to guitar center yesterday (the one around me is actually pretty sweet) and a,b,c'd three pairs of interest. Mackie 824mk2's were a, Dynaudio bm5a's were b, and c were Event asp8's. The fourth monitor I'm considering are Krk RP8's.
Mackies flat out didn't impress me in any way, I actually thought they were the cheapest monitor they had out until I looked at them. I refernced some of my favorite songs, and everything seemed, best I can describe, boosted a bit at the ends and the mids seemed to lack something. Just personal prefernce I guess.
The dynaudio sounded a decent amount like my car stereo, where I listen to a majority of my music. I leave the mids and highs alone, crossover at 100hz into a small 10" sub and slightly boost the bass. My car stereo compensates for deficinies in my ears, and so do these monitors.
The Events had one positive over the others, and that was clarity and space between instruments. I could hear individual instruments with more ease, but for monitoring at low levels, these seemed to be overkill. I couldn't get as accurate a sound from them as the dynaudio at lower levels.
Now the Krk's we use at my school aren't in the least bit bad sounding, all the mixes I've done on them came out good, but after a couple hours they do fatigue my ears. Taking a break isn't a big problem, but I'm not sure they're exactly what I want.
Right now the prices stand around:
a.$800
b.$800
c.$800
d.$300
Guitar Center is having a sale coming up, so I'm guessing waiting would be in my best interest. If I go with cheaper monitors, I can invest money into room treating. If I go with more expensive, I have to wait to treat the room. My room is 8'x12'x15' so treating it would make a world's differnce.
To be honest go with what you like the best because you are the one how has to listen to them the most. I do like the dynaudio speakers they have smooth low end. The KRK speakers are nice as well i like them about as much as i like the dynaudios. It all boils down to what you are happy listening to. If you are not in love with then don't get them.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Maybe ask if they don't work out if you can try another pair.

I think the Yamaha HS80M, or MSP7 should be in that mix of budget monitors to check out.

War
Old 14th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Yea, if you have the funds HS80's are really nice to listen to.

I have the HS50's, they're clean, but the HS80's has so much more low end that I wish I'd saved.
📝 Reply