Quantcast
Akg c214 vs Akg c414 b/xls vs Cad m179, anyone? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akg c214 vs Akg c414 b/xls vs Cad m179, anyone?
Old 10th February 2009
Akg c214 vs Akg c414 b/xls vs Cad m179, anyone?

I'd like to hear samples of all three mics, anyone has them? I'm definitely interested in the C214 vs C414 b/xls comparison, but I want to know if the Cad M179 holds its own as well.

Post sound samples!
Old 10th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No clips but I tried the c214 and the c414 through an LA610 the other day and though the c214 sounded nice, it sounded nothing like a c414. The 214 was very open and boomy sounding while the 414 in cardioid pattern was MUCH smoother and way more focused. 214 would be good on rooms but The 414 still remains my choice for OH.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
That's good to know, heard some great things about the Cad M179 too. Heard some great samples of it.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
never tried it but I can say that I have a CAD Trion series ribbon that I love.
Old 18th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
anyone know the difference between the c214 and the c414?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofutch ➑️
anyone know the difference between the c214 and the c414?
The c214 is more colored (I like it better for vocals) whereas the c414 is smoother, more neutral.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
c214's not advisable for overheads then? they are priced quite nicely i was beginning to thing the difference was just the access to polar patterns?
Lives for gear

akg advertises the c214 as a more affordable c414

but so far from what i've heard they sound very different

is it mic shootout time yet??
Old 19th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that's funny because they are totally different the 214 is an electret design and the 414 is a true capacitor condenser.

The 414 is a multi pattern and the 214 is cardioid fixed pattern.

They not only from a design standpoint are different but they are all very different sonically.

And that's just a simple approach. Depending on the version of the 414 you are comparing the 214 to. And there are dozens.

I'll be posting a clip of a song I've been writing/working on later and I used two CAD M177 mics on it acoustic guitar and vocals. It's not great but it can give a sample of the M177 in action.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
CAD M177 on acoustic guitar and vocals for demo

this was a demo I did recently in my apartment.

Treatment: packing blankets and auralex xpanders (plus ghetto gobos aka sofas)
mics: 2 CAD M177
vocal mic placed about 4-6 inches away with a stedman proscreen XL mic pointing slightly toward forehead
acoustic guitar mic placed about 12 inches away at 12th fret pointing slightly toward bridge

cables: Blue Kiwi quad mic cables
Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 i/o
DAW: reaper, light EQ and compression applied
me singing and playing guitar
for those interested the guitar used was an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R solid spruce top with solid rosewood back and sides. I have a bone nut, bone saddle, and bone bridge pins. Strings were 13-56 Martin Phosphor Bronze.

keep in mind this is a very rough mix and it's a demo of a song I wrote only a week ago. I'm busy and I don't have tons of time to record or really work on my songs so it is what it is. I mainly wanted to get the ideas I had down. I'm not expecting to make a living off of it.

Unfortunately I don't have a comparison with the AKG mics. I may be able to do a rough comparison if I go to my friends studio and record this song for real though

But hopefully it can show a little bit of what this mic is capable of minus my less than stellar/perfect performance and environment.
Attached Files

sorry acoustic demo.mp3 (5.09 MB, 11882 views)

Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I got a 214 and liked it somewhat on acoustic. Vocals were unusable to my ears. No matter what, it was way too boomy and uncontrollable. Sold it last week.
Old 21st July 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoltStudios ➑️
I got a 214 and liked it somewhat on acoustic. Vocals were unusable to my ears. No matter what, it was way too boomy and uncontrollable. Sold it last week.
Did you use the low cut on it though?
Old 30th July 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tried either the C214 or C414 on electric guitars?
I was lookin to get a really nice guitar cab mic. I usually record with marshalls, and peavey amp heads through a mesa rectifier cab. MOSTLY heavier bands, but also some lighter rock bands

currently i have a few SM 57's a MD 421 ,audix I5, and a sterling audio tube condensor mic. i usually double mic the cab

home studio setup
pro tools LE with a 003 rack

just lookin for something to really brighten up the guitar tone and sound clear and caputre the real sound
The 214 definitely brightens up and gives color to the tone, I love it.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i know mic placement, amps ,pre amps, and so many other variables can make the tone but im trying to find someting that can sound like August Burns Red's album Messengers, if anyones heard that.
i go through tons of amps, mics and everything haha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used C414 and 179 on guitar amps, at different times and places and amps, but they were pretty good if you spend a while working with polar patterns and placement and try to zone in the tone you want from the amp.

Had the 414 on a metal cranked amp and it put the tone I had on the amp straight to the DAW. The 179 was on a similar tone last night and I think for that I found about a foot back in cardiod got a good rhythm tone, but that's just me in the setting.

179 great bang for the bucks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowitsallagame ➑️
Has anyone tried either the C214 or C414 on electric guitars?
I was lookin to get a really nice guitar cab mic. I usually record with marshalls, and peavey amp heads through a mesa rectifier cab. MOSTLY heavier bands, but also some lighter rock bands

just lookin for something to really brighten up the guitar tone and sound clear and caputre the real sound
A lot of people that use a second mic on heavy guitars absolutely RAVE about the ribbons for this purpose. Based on what Ive heard around here, I'd probably get a Fathead, or an Apex 205/210 and mod it.

I'm sure the right condenser might work well too. My Studio Projects B1 actually works pretty well for this purpose for a $100 mic. Damn, if that mic isn't one of the best value workhorse mics around, I don't know what is.

Sorry for the hijack Chris.
Lives for gear

You may have already read this, but a dude posted a review over at Harmony Central that said this:

"I really like the sound of this microphone. It is definitely colored. I originally purchased it because it sounded better on my voice than any other microphone I have tried. I did direct comparisons with a Studio Projects C1, Rode NT1A, KSM44 and KSM32, and MXL 2003. In the past, I have used an AKG 414, Neumann TLM 103, and Audio Technica 4050 to record my vocals. The fact that this microphone sounds better on my voice does not discredit the value of those other microphones; it's just that the coloration of the microphone lines up with what my voice needs.

To describe the color of the microphone, it has something of an emphasis in the low midrange area. This can make different sources either sound thicker and warmer or more muddy, depending on what you're recording. It also has a little bit of high-end boost, as most condenser microphones do. It is a pretty smooth boost, with much less of an emphasis than most cheap condenser microphones, and no harshness to my ears. It is highly sensitive to pops, so a pop filter is a must on vocals."

Nothing too earth-shattering, but somewhat related, nonetheless. heh
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks a lot guys!

im probably just going to get the c414 and try it out. its like 1000 new from like sweetwater, so im hoping the price is worth the tone im going to get out of it, and not get a better sound out of my 100 dollar sm57 haha

i never tried or even looked at a ribbon mic tho...that one wud def be in the budget tho! =]
Old 31st July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Funnily enough I tried all three of those mics today...
I was astonished how different the 214 and 414B-XLS sounded, not even vaguely similar to me. The CAD was actually quite a decent mic and would certainly be a worthy purchase... but not in the same league as the 414 (which is not a huge surprise of course)
Old 11th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The CAD M9 tube is a nice mic! ($299)
Very nice on acoustic guitar and male vocals.
Supposed to be pretty good on OHs but I never tried....
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm looking at c214 just wondering if anyone else has tried. Found a good price on ebay... AKG C214-ST Matched Stereo Pair - eBay (item 220513960235 end time Dec-20-09 17:10:52 PST)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappindabass ➑️
I'm looking at c214 just wondering if anyone else has tried. Found a good price on ebay... AKG C214-ST Matched Stereo Pair - eBay (item 220513960235 end time Dec-20-09 17:10:52 PST)
You won't regret it. Good mic, works well for different types of singers. Way to resurrect my thread btw!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was just looking at the sales info on the 214 and it says "AKG’s Legendary 1” Edge-Terminated Large Diaphragm SoundΒ΄so it's not an electret, or the sales info is wrong. Is anyone using a pair for OH's? What do you like/not like about them for OH.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio ➑️
I was just looking at the sales info on the 214 and it says "AKG’s Legendary 1” Edge-Terminated Large Diaphragm SoundΒ΄so it's not an electret, or the sales info is wrong. Is anyone using a pair for OH's? What do you like/not like about them for OH.
no no, they're trying to mislead you with cheezy marketing tricks.

they do actually say that it's an electret design somewhere in their marketing material, you have to read everything very carefully.

it's the same size and visual appearance as one side of the "legendary" older akg capsule. but then most akg capsules also look like the older famous akg capsule and most of them sound nothing like it.

you know the 414 is actually several different mics. there are lots of versions, all have VERY different capsules and sounds. so any thread where people say they used a 414 without specifying TL or ULM or whatever all those stupid akg version numbers are is, in my opinion, very misleading.

there are very bright 414s, very dark ones, very warm and vocal friendly ones. most of the great ones haven't been made for a couple of decades. none of the modern 414s sound anything like the best of the vintage 414s due to using dramatically different capsules, although visually they look almost identical.

the legendary capsule akg talks about is the one from the vintage c12. and it is nothing like the 414 or the 214.

the c214 is back electret, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing (typically a little bit more internal noise, although good designs reduce that enough to be trivial). some of my favorite mics are back electrets. but is the 214 anything like the better akg mics? nope. it has much more in common with the sound of the cheap akg perception mics imho, which can also be quite useful but are by no means typical of the expensive vintage great akg microphone sound.
No 414 beats the 414EB with CK12 capsule. Best 414 ever made.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
No 414 beats the 414EB with CK12 capsule. Best 414 ever made.
YES YES YES, that's the one mic I was trying to frickin remember the model number for LoL. thanks Chris!

that's the only 414 that has the "legendary" akg capsule they refer to in their marketing stuff for the 214. and the rest of the 414s sound quite different from it.

the EB was an excellent mic.

the other mic that had the ck12 capsule (I hope I have my capsule model numbers right here) was the akg "the tube" mic. the original version of it at least. That was an AMAZING vocal microphone, a poor man's c12 with a spec less sizzle than the c12. very hard to find these days, only used versions exist, and you have to watch that the one you buy didn't have it's capsule swapped out (people will scam you whenever possible it seems).

but we're talkign much more money than this thread is all about here... maybe getting a bit off track LoL. sorry, my bad.
Old 17th December 2009 | Show parent
There's one for sale in the classifieds for 2grand. By The way, the 414EB is the mic I use when I do pro sessions outside of my home studio. They have a very well maintained c414eb at the studio I go to.
Old 15th February 2010
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Question AKG C414 B-XLII contrast with Rode NT1A

Hi,

Well currently I have a Rode NT-1A as my only large Diaghram Condenser. but had noticed that the AKG C414 B-XLII seems quite cheap at the moment. at < Β£500 And thought it might be a bit different to the Rode?

the AKG C414 seems a pretty safe bet for a LDC no? I mean they seem to get a lot of use / are quite flexible. and might provide a nice contrast to the rode on Vocals?
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Can someone link or upload a side-by-side of any AKG 414 vs a CAD m179? (Drum overheads or distortion guitars, ideally)

Allegedly these 2 sound similar, but I can't find a single example. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to upgrade from the CAD or not.
πŸ“ Reply