Best Mix Down Process - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Mix Down Process
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best Mix Down Process

Hello Folks,
When I do a mix down from my DAW software (Sonar 8.0) I believe I am hearing a slight difference when I playback the exported file. Even though the difference is subtle I would like it to be exact. Is it maybe do to dithering? I was thinking about coming out of my sound card (Tascam 1804) and running it into another digital recording device like a Tascam 144 connected to another computer however setting up the second recorder for 44.1Khz 16 bit. That would give me a chance to use my outboard compressors during mix down. Also no need for dithering. Am I on the right track?
Looking for suggestions.
Doug
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I noticed that too. I just did a mix compare with the mix going out to my TSR-8 and also an ITB stereo master. The tape master just sounded better. Dunno, just sayin...
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never had a mixdown in Sonar sound different than the playback was. I've "heard" PT's mixdown programming makes an audible change, but I don't find this to be the case in Sonar.

Of course the recording to a tape deck will sound different - whether or not it is better is completely subjective.

If you are still unhappy with the bounce, re-recording and all that will be pointless unless you have really high-end converters, else you will just introduce the distortion/jitter/whatever into the mix that the low-end interface is likely to have when you re-record it.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Was this mix recorded at 16 44.1? is there alot of processing in the session? plugins, aux tracks, group tracks? freeze tracks etc... Have you time aligned the verbs delays etc....

And what is this sound difference exactly?, degradation in the sound? Can you maybe explain it more for us.

Does the tascam 144 have digital inputs?
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It seems like the EQ is a little diffeent. It is not drastic but some times I think it is a little duller in the highs. I typically record at 48k 24 bit.

The Tascam 1804 has S/PDIF out and the US144 has S/PDIF in.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you tried to bounce it without dithering? Keep same sample rate etc?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
its just something you learn from...i used to do that too..it all has to do with sample rates.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran ➑️
I've never had a mixdown in Sonar sound different than the playback was. I've "heard" PT's mixdown programming makes an audible change, but I don't find this to be the case in Sonar.

Of course the recording to a tape deck will sound different - whether or not it is better is completely subjective.

If you are still unhappy with the bounce, re-recording and all that will be pointless unless you have really high-end converters, else you will just introduce the distortion/jitter/whatever into the mix that the low-end interface is likely to have when you re-record it.
Well I get that it would sound different, but I was surprised I guess by the characteristic. Hard to describe, it was just there...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just bounce down to a track in the session in real time
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Why not go from computer to the other computer set at 44.1 16 bit. Wouldn't that eliminate dither? Also I was thinking of using a little outboard compression during the mix down. Can I put it in between the two systems?

Doug
I record the output of my cubase.. same problem.

Silverspike - TapeIt

tapeit 1 is free.

cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➑️
I record the output of my cubase.. same problem.

Silverspike - TapeIt

tapeit 1 is free.

cheers
cool.too bad no mac
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
mixedupsteve and aussietechie are onto it. Dont dither until you have a stereo file in the same sample rate/bitrate as the session is in. You can use all your outboard as long as you run the sesh in realtime back into the project. Only dither at the very last stage of dropping the bitrate of your 24 bit stereo file to 16.
Old 10th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Right this is how you do it!
1. Have a "master bus"
2. Everything goes through the "master bus" (either direct or indriectly, ie. snare.kick via "drum bus" THAN output "drum bus" vis "master bus"
Final finshed mix through "master bus", got it?
3. Bounce to track or export option you will need the follow;
16 bit and 44100hz for cd compatible wave
"source catergory" set to "buses"
NOW ONLY THE "MASTER" BUS HIGHLIGHTED, NO OTHER BUS!
What you now get is the true sound of the mix through the "master bus"
Please spread this info like a virus.
Different subject error message when mixingdown, all of a sudden not working;
dodgy sysex.
Solution save song, delete all sys ex or just the offending one than export. Exit Sonar, (dont save, so next time your sys ex are still there)
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I bounce in Real Time!!
Since I use DP, I do this:
http://www.dptips.net/2009/12/30/usi...ead-of-bounce/

cheers
πŸ“ Reply