Buying a mic and seting it up - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying a mic and seting it up
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Buying a mic and seting it up

Hello gearslutz,

A friend of mine is looking into buying a cheap studio quality microphone and he's asking me for help. The problem is: I can't help him.

I've been searching around trying to find answers to my questions however these simple questions seem to be common knowledge for everyone else and I can't find any answers. I have only just recently joined the producing scene in my bedroom over the internet and I am just beginning to use hardware. And I know nothing about it. Well I'm not sure if any of that information was necessary, at least you know where I'm coming from.

What kind of mic? Ribbon, dynamic, or condenser? Do I need a soundcard to route the mic to the computer? Do I need a preamp? How do I hook the mic up to the computer (with a sound card, without, with a preamp)? How much will this equipment cost to get a good job done?

Some more info:

My friend wants to record hip-hop, Jay-Z style is the only way I can think of it. However I would like to use it too. To record my own samples of outdoor and indoor FX. We aren't selling any of the music or samples. Just a learning experience. We don't have a real budget but we're hoping to set up for under $400.

All help is greatly appreciated,
zaporzan

PS: I originally posted this is the "So much gear, so little time!" thread and I was told I'd find more answers here
Old 9th February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Did you use the search function on this site yet? This forum is pretty much full of the exact same question.

There's a Rap/Hip Hop production forum too, might want to pop over there and read some of the similar threads.
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
believe it or not you can use a mic pre in an old cassette dek that costs nothing.
look for my mumrap mp3 i posted on gs.
ok found it...this thread...a comic rap vocal.(useing cassette dek pre plus 57 mic.)
Best mic/preamp combo
you could get a used dynamic mic like a shure sm57.
then you need a sound card interface.
a toneport gx is 50 buks.
so total would be prolly around 100 buks.
57 mic >> xlr to quarter inch adaptor>>cass dek mic pre input.
line out of cass dek to toneport gx input.
this is about the cheapest route ..and i get good quality.
(ive used much hi end over the years..)

there are zillions of other options.
check out zzounds.com n other on line retailers for more mic n mic pre options n sound devices.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since you are just having fun, just grab this: Audio-Technica AT2020 USB | Sweetwater.com

It connects directly to the computer with USB so you don't have to have a preamp or converter. It's all built in. I would never make "pro" recordings with this, but again, just for learning you can't go wrong.

With that, download Reaper at REAPER | About and start learning. Total investment: $150 (free shipping too!).
πŸ“ Reply