Quantcast
Behringer composer MDX2100 - Which Drawmer is it based on? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer composer MDX2100 - Which Drawmer is it based on?
Old 22nd March 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've just been gawping at the DL241 and MDX2100 circuit diagrams. Definitely "inspired".
Old 22nd May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Is there are difference between MDX 2100s assembled in Germany or China?
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel ➡️
Is there are difference between MDX 2100s assembled in Germany or China?
I think that era of Behringer was contract manufactured in China by Kwan Asia, and the MDX2200 onwards were made in their own Chinese factory. SMD and a more lightweight build, and the prices dropped right down. They all say "Designed in Germany" on the back. The late 80s and early 90s stuff was actually made in Germany - MDX402, blackface "Studio Compressor" etc. I think the MDX2100 is great. Good sound, good features and pretty solid build.
Old 16th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
I think the MDX2100 is great. Good sound, good features and pretty solid build.
Agreed!
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Does anyone else have an MDX 1200 ?

I'm getting clipping on bass guitars and bass synth. This does not happen on my MDX2100.

I'm wondering if my modifications caused this or if it's a stock issue with the MDX1200.
Old 16th September 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've got a 2100 here that's waiting for me to get more in/out.

A 241 for £25 incl. shipping is silly money.

I think it will get some decent use.
Old 22nd January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➡️
Fair enough, could have been that you had a chat with a technician or something along those lines

Any way, whatever it was designed after (evil tongues would say copied from) the almost 20 year old mdx 2100 still works, so no complaining from me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
I think it would be fun to buy a DL 241 from Drawmer and do a shootout and see how close they are. I am also using a (modded) MDX2100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
I've just been gawping at the DL241 and MDX2100 circuit diagrams. Definitely "inspired".

I got 3 MDX 2100 from the mid 90´s

I believe the MDX 2100 is the only good Behringer gear among the 2000 midi controller, MDX 2200 gave plastic sound, poor unit and the tube one was great as atrezzo, poor as compressor.

I was and I am obsessed with compressors and tried 15 or so.

I bought brand new for 750 euros a Drawmer DL 241, did side by side comparation and sold the 241 nand hated it.

The MDX gives hard punch, I do hardtechno.

The Drawmer was subtle so I hate that.

The Mdx sounds more like a DBX 1066 that I also own that a Drawmer.

I am back to music and buying for 100e a Focusrite compounder, great for techno since it alters the sound the way i want.

I dream to try the Distressor, might the real ultimate one for me or a hype?
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Very interesting!

I also use the MDX 2100 for hard techno (ish), it gives a sort of "electric" sound in the midrange, for lack of a good term. It's exciting sounding.

The later ones with the lit up buttons are trash waiting to happen, you will have to throw them out if they're not broken already, they will be soon.

Thanks for comparing the Drawmer, sounds like there are some significant differences.

I would recommend the Arousor plugin if you don't already have it. It's from Dave Derr so it's his software version of the Distressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akailama ➡️
I got 3 MDX 2100 from the mid 90´s

I believe the MDX 2100 is the only good Behringer gear among the 2000 midi controller, MDX 2200 gave plastic sound, poor unit and the tube one was great as atrezzo, poor as compressor.

I was and I am obsessed with compressors and tried 15 or so.

I bought brand new for 750 euros a Drawmer DL 241, did side by side comparation and sold the 241 nand hated it.

The MDX gives hard punch, I do hardtechno.

The Drawmer was subtle so I hate that.

The Mdx sounds more like a DBX 1066 that I also own that a Drawmer.

I am back to music and buying for 100e a Focusrite compounder, great for techno since it alters the sound the way i want.

I dream to try the Distressor, might the real ultimate one for me or a hype?
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Very interesting!

I also use the MDX 2100 for hard techno (ish), it gives a sort of "electric" sound in the midrange, for lack of a good term. It's exciting sounding.

The later ones with the lit up buttons are trash waiting to happen, you will have to throw them out if they're not broken already, they will be soon.

Thanks for comparing the Drawmer, sounds like there are some significant differences.

I would recommend the Arousor plugin if you don't already have it. It's from Dave Derr so it's his software version of the Distressor.

Thanks,

I have never used plug ins, in June i will set my studio again, has been unused since i quit in 2015.

I want to try that one you say and this other, seems the ultimate thing to conect to a sampler or TR to alter the hi hats as I love

You will also love ( for the Advent kind of SHHHHHH moded hats) but on the fly

https://www.hispasonic.com/noticias/...-nvelope/37414

Do you know something similar affordable?

There is one for sale used at 800. I would pay 500 or so, but yet other things to buy as a Lexicon pcm 91 and an Isla 2400 and Juno 2

I am getting today a Focusrite Compounder, it also smashed the sound in the way of the 2100 but way more, so lovely.

Got two Akais this month, 950 and 1000 to try them, never used a sampler before, I did no midi Djaxx 90´s like
Old 22nd January 2021
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You might look out for an older 4 channel Transient Designer rack hardware out there, I'm not sure of the prices though.

In the box, I like the Plugin Alliance SPL Transient Designer, and I also like the ones in iZotope Neutron Elements (essentially a free plugin) and the Eventide Elevate limiter bundle, for transient shaping of the mix bus, most typically.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
You might look out for an older 4 channel Transient Designer rack hardware out there, I'm not sure of the prices though.

In the box, I like the Plugin Alliance SPL Transient Designer, and I also like the ones in iZotope Neutron Elements (essentially a free plugin) and the Eventide Elevate limiter bundle, for transient shaping of the mix bus, most typically.

Do you know of any affordable hardware option? The 2 channel Transient Designer is not enough / either the 4.
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akailama ➡️
Do you know of any affordable hardware option? The 2 channel Transient Designer is not enough / either the 4.
I'm afraid I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's kind of surprising that hasn't been widely cloned or copied in hardware.
Old 14th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
FYI, I believe it was the Drawmer DL 241, based on what I've read on the netz.
This is what people said before there were internet forums, well besides rec.pro.audio on Usenet.

I at one point owned four MDX-2100's, these days I own four DL-241's (three are used in live racks, one in my studio) and I can tell you the Behringers sounded like crap even back then and the Drawmers sound great.

The Behringers might have been based on THE IDEA of a DL-241 but the reality is far far different.

I owned a pair of the Behringers concurrently with my first DL-241 so this is not going from memory, I actually A/B'd them.

I sold the Behringers ($50 each) to my drummer for use in his PA rack, sort of felt like I had ripped him off

I still own a few pieces of Behringer gear but nothing an important signal goes through.

Oh yeah the follow up MDX-2200 (I think they added a ratio control to the gate and some other stuff) sucked more ballz than the 2100, something I did not think was possible.

The best thing you can say about a 2100 is they sound better than an Alesis 3630

Analogeezer
📝 Reply