Quantcast
Micing Bass Amps - Best mic and tips? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Micing Bass Amps - Best mic and tips?
Old 9th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Micing Bass Amps - Best mic and tips?

I know a lot of people simply rely on DI for electic bass. I'm doing that, but I also want to get a mic on the amp for more gritty speaker sounds.

This is home recording, so volume levels have to be low. Think '3' on the Twin Reverb I'm using for recording bass at home.

I have used a CAD KBM 412 kick mic, a Shure Beta 52, SM57, RODE NT (at about 3 feet off axis) and had pretty good results with all of them.

The Sm57 was better than the Beta 52, though the Beta 52 is a quality mic, for sure, just a litte too clean.

I'm looking for the low end and the cheapo CAD delivers it nicely, and I count on the DI for detail. The Rode was good, but had to get the amp a little louder than I like.

What about some of the AKG on Sennheiser mics for kick drum?

I've heard samples of the Audix I6, but really didn't like it at all...to hyped for my tastes.

I'm placing the dynamic mics much the way that I would a guitar amp...close, of axis, pointing at the space between the cone and edge.

I'm trying to get some of the 'thunder' that you can only get from a live amp.

Anyone want to share their favorite techniques for micing a bass amp in conjunction with DI?

THANKS
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
people often uses a delay line in the 1-8ms range on the mic coming from the amp to line it up with the DI signal.
it takes a bit more time to go through an amp, into a mic, etc... the DI path is more direct.

my current fav mic for bass amp is beyer m380 - kinda hard to find though.
sennheiser 421 works well. so does an re20.

I have loved (and still mean to purchase) the AKG d12 (not d112!) on bass amps.
I mean really loved it.
they are vintage and cost double the price of a d112, but totally awesome.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AKG D112, EV RE 20, and in a pinch when all my mics are being used an SM 58.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I pretty much always go for an RE20. The trick, amazingly enough, is to have a really great sounding bass rig. Most of the time I blend the DI signal with an early 70s Ampeg V4 going into an SVT 4x10 cab. Mic placement is almost a non-issue.

But, since volume is of concern here, I'd probably try to track down an Epiphone Valve Jr and put that through a 410 or a 210, then blend it with the DI signal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boundry technique with your favoraite LDC (or a PZM).
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworkshop ➑️
I have used a CAD KBM 412 kick mic, a Shure Beta 52, SM57, RODE NT (at about 3 feet off axis) and had pretty good results with all of them.

The Sm57 was better than the Beta 52, though the Beta 52 is a quality mic, for sure, just a litte too clean.

It sounds like you've got this thing all worked out.

Was there a question there, or did you just feel like sharing?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I like the SM7 (not 57) as far as mics go, though any number of mics can work well, depending on what you're going for. Make sure you're not getting any resonant frequencies or disappearing notes from the cab.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
and, you might start out when using the mic to determine its placement by taking the instruemnt lead, and with the amp on, hold the tip of the plug in your fingers, and get down next to the speaker and listen for where the 'warmth' of the ensuing hum in most pleasant. park your mic right there...and pretty close to the cabinet grille.

failing that, i.e. if there is no discernable 'best spot' for the hum, you can try varying the mic placement from center cone outward until you find the best sounding spot. of course, the closer to the cone, the more high frequency content you'll likely capture with the mic.

regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
D112, SM7 or RE20...I like the D6 as well.

Frank
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
and, as far as mics are concerned, i have had notable success with sennheiser md421n, and blue's 'the ball' (let the testicular jokes begin)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Along with the other great mic'ing suggestions here....

If you don't already have one... I would recommend getting a re-amp device. Then you would have many more options, and opportunity to track your amp tracks at more 'neighbor friendly' times.. not to mention, not having to fuss over mic placement etc., while trying to concentrate on getting a good groove etc.

For example.. my buddy has an Ampeg B100R, and I often will go over and re-amp my bass tracks into it. Great little amp btw... outstanding vibe and grind when you want it. I will bring along a variety of mics to try, and usually go home with a smile (and some nice fat tracks to blend with my DI'ed ones).

I have a Radial X-Amp re-amp box... works great. There are a passle of other brands out there that are also worthy of consideration.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
R92 should work too?? greetz peter
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I've been using either an SM57, or an Audio Technica 4033.
I used to use the d112 until I figured out that I hated it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Best results I have had is with either a 421 or a K2.
K2 really is GREAT on bass amp!

Never really had good results with kick mics on bass amps.
Attached Thumbnails
Micing Bass Amps - Best mic and tips?-k2.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Depends on my approach...

If i'm u sing the DI for the meat and potatoes, and the cabinet to fill in some body, space and grind, I'll go with my EV 408B, or a senn. e906 or 421.

If I'm going to let the cabinet sound be the primary tone, I'll usually go with an Audix D6, Shure Beta52 or my 4047SV paired with something thick on the preamp end. Either tubey or transformer style.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
D112 + an SM57 and EQ for the best qualities of each.
Also like the SM7b .... never tried my K2. I'll have to experiment with that.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurydime ➑️
and, as far as mics are concerned, i have had notable success with sennheiser md421n, and blue's 'the ball' (let the testicular jokes begin)
+1 on the ball... for $100 its a surprisingly decent bass mic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
D112 mic'ed and DI. I'm still saving up for an RE20...
Ngr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
RE 20 and AT4033, I do that on an Ampeg 8x10 cab and an SVT 350 head. check phase carefully
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze ➑️
D112 + an SM57 and EQ for the best qualities of each.
Also like the SM7b .... never tried my K2. I'll have to experiment with that.
Don't forget the Bears blankets with the K2....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just like Yetti I have had great results with my Rode K2, I see a lot of people using dynamic mics as default but you should try different mics to capture the sound you want and not having to EQ a lot when mixing.

The K2 has been giving me that midrange presence that the bass needs to cut through a rock mix not needing much eq, and the definition comes from condensers being brighter than dynamic mics, the low end is also nice and tight.

I love my Shure Beta 52 on kick, not as much on bass.
For better kick and bass separation in the mix I think its best to use different mics on these two sources.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Fathead II Ribbon Mic....$400.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman ➑️
my current fav mic for bass amp is beyer m380 - kinda hard to find though.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanceman ➑️
...the AKG d12 (not d112!) on bass amps.
I mean really loved it.
they are vintage and cost double the price of a d112, but totally awesome.
+2
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
sennheiser 441... the best
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➑️
Don't forget the Bears blankets with the K2....
I don't know... would a Broncos blanket get the same result (I'm guessing not as much punch)??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apex 205 between 1-3 feet from the grill, biiiiig round, smooth tone. gorge. I really like the sontronics sigma & superlux r102 active ribbons at the same distance too. For more intimate tones iv'e found that the MXL M3 sounds superb. D112 & SM57 are always winners too on the more generic side of things.

Toby
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Smile Thanks for all the great input!

Wow, there are a lot of great thoughts here. I have plenty of things to think about and to try. THANKS!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. Take the parallel out and connect that to a clean DI (so you can re-amp or process the clean signal with Guitar Rig or whatever you want to use if you need extra distortion). Then use a bass mic (D112, M380, RE20 all work well) and a treble mic (I like a 57 or a 421) on separate speakers. Than you have all the bases covered when it comes to mixdown.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze ➑️
I don't know... would a Broncos blanket get the same result (I'm guessing not as much punch)??
Better go with the Avalanche for the best punch.
All good.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It should also be noted that low frequencies need more space in the room to fully develop. Close-micing a bass amp probably won't offer the biggest sound, distance-micing, close-micing, and a DI all together would sound pretty meaty once you correct all your phase differences.
πŸ“ Reply