3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What kind of music are you recording?

-SD
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This is my first post. Sweet.

Anyway, An Ampeg SVT Classic or an SVT-2 through an 4x10 or 8x10. Would recommend an 8x10 but 4x10 cabs work and sound fine.

I would then mic up with a U87. They are phat sounding mics on bass. I would try to place this where the cone joins to the cone cover. The DI signal would be blended with the amp. This would be capture by a BSS or RedDI box.

This is only my opinion but hope it helps. I mainly record rock bands.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgez ➡️
This is my first post. Sweet.

Anyway, An Ampeg SVT Classic or an SVT-2 through an 4x10 or 8x10. Would recommend an 8x10 but 4x10 cabs work and sound fine.
For studio I'd definitely say that the 410 is more useful. It's ported, so it goes lower than the 810. This is handy when you've got a bassist with a 5-string. It's also got an adjustable tweeter, which saves my ass whenever someone comes by the studio with a muddy-sounding bass.

SVT810
Frequency Response (-3dB): 58Hz-5kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz

SVT410
Frequency Response (-3dB): 48Hz-18kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 28Hz
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➡️
Best results I have had is with either a 421 or a K2.
K2 really is GREAT on bass amp!

Never really had good results with kick mics on bass amps.
Nice, how much was the "Bears" bass trap
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose ➡️
Nice, how much was the "Bears" bass trap
They are cheap now since the Bears suck!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiebert ➡️
It should also be noted that low frequencies need more space in the room to fully develop.
Huh?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The best bass tracks in a mix are the ones that sound like ass soloed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM7b up close +DI, plus an LDC in the back for fun, though it rarely is used much in the mix. Little Labs IPB on the DI to find the sweet spot.
Old 26th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford ➡️
Huh?
I know what he is saying....yes, the sign wave diagram will show some larger arcing curves from the sound source...
Be that as it may....If the mic sounds sweeter closer to the speaker, I will move it in closer. I almost dismissed the K2 as thin sounding when I first tried it about 16" away, but moving it in made it sound great.
I have experimented with 441, 421, d2, d4, d112, nd868, sm7, 57, lots of different mics, lots of different bassists and styles, but the K2 is really a great choice for bass amp micing.
Try it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti ➡️
I know what he is saying....yes, the sign wave diagram will show some larger arcing curves from the sound source...
Aren't all sound waves altered by room characteristics and atmospheric pressure? Does anyone really mic a bass cabinet from a distanced because the 'sound is more developed' and not because they're micing the bass amp interacting with the room?

Sorry, but I've read this before and I've never understood the idea. The poster seems to imply that you need to be the distance of a completed wave to get the sound of a given frequency, and that doesn't seem logical to me, but physics was never my thing.

OnT:
I use a '64 Ampeg SB-12 in conjunction with a direct box engineered by a friend of mine we've dubbed the Edmunator (Ed Pettersen designed it and he and Bob Olhsson use it on most their sessions).

On the SB-12 I use a Heil PR40 for pillowy, a M88 for more definition or an SM7 if the sound wants to be somewhere between the two. I like the idea of grabbing the end of the instrument cable to find the sweet spot. Great idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also have never bought into the idea that low frequencies need space for the waveform to develop. If that was true, you wouldn't be able to hear any bass at all in headphones. Yeah, low frequency waveforms are bigger, but if the diaphragm of your mic is vibrating at 80 Hz, thats the frequency it is going to record.

I love the D12 on bass cab, dont like the d112. Lately I have been using the audix d6. Everyone complains that the d6 is hyped, maybe it is, but I use less eq with that mic than with other mics, and to me, that is a good thing. I also really like a sm58, it helps the bass cut through the mix really well, but doesn't have the balls of some other mics.

Overall I have always liked the sound of a miced bass cab better than di, but you absolutely have to have a great sounding bass cab! And sometimes resonant frequencies can be cool if they are the right frequencies.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA ➡️
If that was true, you wouldn't be able to hear any bass at all in headphones.
Unfortunately for this string of logic, the bass you hear in headphones is largely psychoacoustic.

Not that I'm a proponent of distant micing a bass cab. I also agree that close micing captures plenty of low end.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Bass is pretty easy to mic up, depending on the sound in the room. Get that right, and just about any decent microphone at the proper distance should work. Small d condensers often have great bass response and can work. I got a wonderful bass tone once with an AT4051.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like using two mics and a direct line signal.

I like using an ATM250, MD421, SM57, e609, or PR40 up close (1-4 inches away positioned to taste, I just move until it sounds good).

Then I like to use a room mic from a few feet away (again positioned to taste wherever it sounds best to my ear) I use a CAD M177 but there are many options. I used to use my GT66 and it shined for this application, but alas I was stupid and sold her.

I blend the three signals together to taste, depends on the style, player, desired result, etc. Honestly you can get by without the room mic but it does add a nice vibe many times.

The bassist in my band insists that he and I track at the same time so unfortunately I only get to use either a plain DI signal or the DI signal and a close mic on his amp (Hartke 2x10" cab). Just cuz I'm short on inputs and mics right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank ➡️
Unfortunately for this string of logic, the bass you hear in headphones is largely psychoacoustic.

Can you please explain? I'm not sure what you mean by this statement.

From Dictionary.com

Psychoacoustic-
–noun (used with a singular verb) the study of sound perception.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can you please explain? I'm not sure what you mean by this statement.

From Dictionary.com

Psychoacoustic-

Take a RTA mic and measure the response of your headphones about where you ear sits. You'll note that it isn't exactly flat, certainly no where near how you perceive it. So how do we hear bass in headphones? Your brain hears the harmonics/overtones in the signal and fills in the fundamental (or whatever missing frequency) and you hear the full bass tone. I believe the sonic maximizer uses a similar effect, in reducing the fundamental while cranking up the 1st, 2nd, and possibly third harmonics of the note, so you perceive more bass.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to be throwing out misinformation here!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank ➡️
Take a RTA mic and measure the response of your headphones about where you ear sits. You'll note that it isn't exactly flat, certainly no where near how you perceive it. So how do we hear bass in headphones? Your brain hears the harmonics/overtones in the signal and fills in the fundamental (or whatever missing frequency) and you hear the full bass tone. I believe the sonic maximizer uses a similar effect, in reducing the fundamental while cranking up the 1st, 2nd, and possibly third harmonics of the note, so you perceive more bass.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to be throwing out misinformation here!
Back to the original point of low frequency waves needing "room to develop." If I hold the headphone further away from my ear, I don't hear the bass better. Headphones do produce less bass than a speaker, but that is because of speaker size and power, not distance from the ear.

If I hold my ear 1" away from a 12" woofer, I can hear a 40 Hz tone just fine. I think that disproves the theory of low frequency waves needing "room to develop." Of course it will sound different further away because of the sound wave interacting with your room.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If I hold the headphone further away from my ear, I don't hear the bass better.
Agreed, I hope I wasn't misleading with my explanation.

Quote:
If I hold my ear 1" away from a 12" woofer, I can hear a 40 Hz tone just fine.
I can't argue with this, but remember you are hearing that "mature" wave from the room as well as the direct source. In an Anechoic Chamber, you may not find this to be the case.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

From Dictionary.com

Psychoacoustic-
Two seconds more of googling and you would have gotten this:
Psychoacoustics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll vote for the MD421 or SM7B.
Old 9th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsound ➡️
I love the Avalon 737 DI on bass!
But If I use it i can't send the instrument signal to the amplifier because the avalon have not intrument link!!
I would miking my bass cabinet, and mix the avanlon DI signal and the mic signal!!!
How can I do?? It's not possible???

Thanks!!
This (multiple duplicate) post was also answered in this thread, FWIW. .
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Micing Bass Amps - Best mic and tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank

Two seconds more of googling and you would have gotten this:
Psychoacoustics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, but you didn't use plural form in the post before
Lives for gear

26 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➡️
Bass is pretty easy to mic up, depending on the sound in the room. Get that right, and just about any decent microphone at the proper distance should work. Small d condensers often have great bass response and can work. I got a wonderful bass tone once with an AT4051.
Correct. The distance is to let the sound interact with the space. But, if you prefer the sound right up against the speaker, then close-mic. And yes, a quality SDC will give good articulation and accuracy, and can have deep extended bottom. I've gotten great results with AT 4041, for example.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sometimes I like it close to the speaker...favs: SM7 or 421.
Sometimes I like it in the room...using: AT4047 or U87 (sometime in fig. 8).

But it really depends ()...most time I´m setting up one close and one with a little distance (distance...guess what? it depends heh). Tracking both and look afterwards, which fits best for the song...ahh and by the way, I´ll always record a clean DI signal, too.
📝 Reply