Quantcast
I don't want to monitor during record... *HELP* - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I don't want to monitor during record... *HELP*
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't want to monitor during record... *HELP*

So obviously when you record something you want to be able to hear what you are recording however I am in a special situation.

I am recording some ojibwa translation voice over and basically the goal is to keep this as simple as possible.

That being said I have the translator standing about 3 feet behind me talking into an SM7.... we aren't using headphones. The SM7 is pretty low level but just to avoid any feedback and or phasing I am turning down the SM7 track every time we record a line and then turning it back up so we can listen to the line and quickly "tighten it up" with editing.

So far everything is working well and I like our set up, however I don't want to keep having to turn the volume down during record and back up during playback.....and I don't want to use headphones...

So is there a way to make pro-tools not monitor during recording?
Old 9th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have u tried just muting the track?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Or monitor at a low level and place the sm7 so that the pickup pattern is rejecting the monitors. I do pilot vocals all the time with the mic 3 feet from the speakers, but the low monitor level and the pickup pattern make bleed inaudible.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know if this will work for sure (I'm not at my studio at the moment), but if you're using PTLE, then you could put it in Low Latency Mode and set the track's output to a bus instead of the Analog Out 1-2 or whatever you have it named. This might disable the busses while the track is record-enabled. Maybe.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
All are good answers. If you can't mute a track that's being recorded, pan everything you want to hear to one speaker, everything you don't want to hear to the other, and click off the other speaker.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan ➑️
Or monitor at a low level and place the sm7 so that the pickup pattern is rejecting the monitors. I do pilot vocals all the time with the mic 3 feet from the speakers, but the low monitor level and the pickup pattern make bleed inaudible.
Yeah I have tried muting the track....Actutually I am using a D-command so its almost easyer for me to just pull down the fader.

Either way these are really fast paced sessions and as pathetic as it sounds my arms actually hurt from reaching to move the fader or hit the mute button / soloing and all that crap.... and using the mouse would take way too long.

I started just leaving the track up well I was recording and the phase isn't really audible like uncle duncan said.....

Although I would still feel better if i wasn't monitoring in record...... just for ****s.... I guess its just OCD kicking in.

I guess i was just wondering if there is just some setting I could simply change..... other wise its not even worth changing........ not really worth doing some big work around over when the phase isn't really audible.

Like I said I just want to keep it simple.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
On an HD system you could instantiate an RTAS plugin (like the Digi 1-band EQ) that has a volume fader and crank it all the way up (+18 on the Digi EQ), then bring your channel fader down to whatever level you're tracking at. When you're recording, the plug will be bypassed and the track volume will be low, during playback the EQ plug will become active and boost your level.

Not ideal, but it'd work.

On an LE system, make an aux track with the same input, then add the Digi 1-band EQ and flip the phase on it.

Edit: but make sure you've got a 1-band EQ bypassed on your record track as well, otherwise it might not null properly. Use the EQ on the Aux track to boost around 3k to get a good working level during tracking.

Again, not ideal, but it'd work.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
alt+k - should change your input monitoring mode.

and you can turn it off in one of the dropdowns as well if the keyboard shortcut isn't that anymore (if you're on mac, it might be command+k).

the kyboard shortcut was used on an old PT 6.x LE rig - I have 8 at home, and i can turn off input monitoring in one of the top dropdowns.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreon ➑️
alt+k - should change your input monitoring mode.

and you can turn it off in one of the dropdowns as well if the keyboard shortcut isn't that anymore (if you're on mac, it might be command+k).

the kyboard shortcut was used on an old PT 6.x LE rig - I have 8 at home, and i can turn off input monitoring in one of the top dropdowns.
He'd still be able to here it in record mode which is what I think he is trying to not do...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
He'd still be able to here it in record mode which is what I think he is trying to not do...
haha, guess i should have assumed that everyone with all these fairly annoying workarounds were for a reason.

thanks for the correction.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreon ➑️
haha, guess i should have assumed that everyone with all these fairly annoying workarounds were for a reason.

thanks for the correction.
πŸ“ Reply