Quantcast
Primacoustic Iso Pad... other options? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Primacoustic Iso Pad... other options?
Old 8th February 2009
  #1
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Primacoustic Iso Pad... other options?

Primacoustic | RX5-DF - Recoil Stabilizer (Single) | Z860 1505

I want some sort of isolation for my speakers since they sit on my desk. Anybody have any cheap DIY solutions that work relatively well, or other options besides the link I listed above? Thanks!
Old 8th February 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterbator ➑️
Primacoustic | RX5-DF - Recoil Stabilizer (Single) | Z860 1505

I want some sort of isolation for my speakers since they sit on my desk. Anybody have any cheap DIY solutions that work relatively well, or other options besides the link I listed above? Thanks!
Two BIG rectangle spounges...works great for little $...I would never fall for those iso pads..although people the wasted their money already will falame me now!!!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
sorbothane hemispheres. u can get 8 of them on ebay for $14. they work great.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 ➑️
sorbothane hemispheres. u can get 8 of them on ebay for $14. they work great.
+1...see, All kinds of ways
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 ➑️
sorbothane hemispheres. u can get 8 of them on ebay for $14. they work great.
Awesome, I'll buy some! Hmm... I have 5" monitor drivers (Tannoy Reveal 5a)... think the 3/4" is enough, or should I upgrade to the 2"ers? =O
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I made a homebrew of the Recoil Stabilizers, using a set of Auralex MoPads, topped by a 10lb circular dumbell weight and a computer mouse pad atop of that. Total cost for a pair was about $70, whereas a pair of the Recoil Stabilizers are over $200.

I don't know if my mockup works identically to the Recoil Stabilizers, but my listening tests showed a definite improvment in clarity over the MoPads alone, just as people have reported with the Recoil Stabilizers. Based on that, I'm pleased.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshaw ➑️
I made a homebrew of the Recoil Stabilizers, using a set of Auralex MoPads, topped by a 10lb circular dumbell weight and a computer mouse pad atop of that. Total cost for a pair was about $70, whereas a pair of the Recoil Stabilizers are over $200.

I don't know if my mockup works identically to the Recoil Stabilizers, but my listening tests showed a definite improvment in clarity over the MoPads alone, just as people have reported with the Recoil Stabilizers. Based on that, I'm pleased.
Cool! DIY stuff seems way more satisfying anyways :P. I'll have to mess around and see what I like best. Thanks for all the tips, slutz!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
mamm7215's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah I've got the Mopads and went and had 1/4" plate steel cut to size mimicking the Primeacoustic ones. $23.00 for the steel cut and all. Adam A7's here. Helped a bit.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Nut
 
Bobbaganouche's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
got to try the recoil stabilizers before buying them. tested against mopads. the stabilizer does have a slight advantage in its ability to decouple bass frequencies from whatever surface your boxes are on, however, if you are using 5 or 6 inch monitors or even some 8's with a weak low frequency ouput you wont notice much of any difference from the $35 moPads.

kudos on the DIY stuff. the sorbothane looks cool as well!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
SANDS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I used the sweet packing that my Mackies and Dynaudios came in. I cut them in half and used the bottom portion, looks ghetto, works great. I'm poor and I love it. Used the money I saved there and bought some scotch, now I have good speaker iso and a glass of good scotch to drink while mixing.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump