Quantcast
What $300-under Mic Pre Amp will compliment a Shure SM7B mic? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What $300-under Mic Pre Amp will compliment a Shure SM7B mic?
Old 18th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarson ➑️
I was concerned, most people said 60 dB minimum, but I haven't had any problem getting clean tracks from my Presonus Digimax FS, and that only has 55 dB of gain. I usually hit about -20 for vocals at one notch below max (~49 dB), which is loud enough for 24 bit DAWs. The FS gets a little noisy on the top setting, so I keep it one back, works fine.

You're way good with your pres dude, pick it up.
yup, too many people are wooried about the carriage before the horse when it comes to the sm7b.
get the mic, see if the pre you have will work, if not, then get a new pre!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_unit ➑️
The SM7 is a good mic.

It will sound good no matter what you plug it in to. Unless it's broken.

Quit worrying about matching your mics to your pres. Any mic should work with any pre. The whole notion that you have to "match" a given mic to a given preamp is just a lot of mental masturbation for people who have too much time on their hands.

It's like asking what brand of motor oil goes well with AC Delco spark plugs.
I appreciate your enthusiasm. That said, mic'ing an acoustic guitar with a low output ribbon can give you unusable results with any pre not featuring clean, high gain.

I mean, if you record that way, no one will be mastrubating.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thearnicasync ➑️

I mean, if you record that way, no one will be mastrubating.
i hope no one is masturbating during my sessions. the cleanup alone, not to mention the smell! well, unless it is a hot girl....
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I still don't get all the "you need tons of clean gain to get good performance out of the Sm7b" stuff that gets bandied around here all the time????

heck I run the thing on a Solo 610 (which supposedly has gain deficiency and headroom problems)..i've run it on Mackie VLZ's, Old Joe Meeks, and Ive heard it on Great Rivers, Pacificas, etc. -

it sounds fine on them all - How much gain do you need to hit a DAW with a good signal at 24 bits? I try to peak at -12db and have no problem with any of them?
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by rty5150 ➑️
i hope no one is masturbating during my sessions. the cleanup alone, not to mention the smell! well, unless it is a hot girl....
What happens if the female singer is masturbating because of you, the producer?!? tutt
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was concerned, most people said 60 dB minimum, but I haven't had any problem getting clean tracks from my Presonus Digimax FS, and that only has 55 dB of gain. I usually hit about -20 for vocals at one notch below max (~49 dB), which is loud enough for 24 bit DAWs. The FS gets a little noisy on the top setting, so I keep it one back, works fine.

You're way good with your pres dude, pick it up.
thanks a lot for the reply! i'll try to get my hands on one as soon as i can
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
Will the new M-audio 2626 DAW pre's push the sm7!!!

I'm thinking of getting both
YES..I use mine with my 610 pre's when I want Clean signal..you do have to turn up the gain to 4 o'clock but I hear no noise...It does need a lot of gain...when I use my mpa gold with it the input and output are at 5'o'clock witch is hi for my taste but It works!!
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K ➑️
I still don't get all the "you need tons of clean gain to get good performance out of the Sm7b" stuff that gets bandied around here all the time????

heck I run the thing on a Solo 610 (which supposedly has gain deficiency and headroom problems)..i've run it on Mackie VLZ's, Old Joe Meeks, and Ive heard it on Great Rivers, Pacificas, etc. -

it sounds fine on them all - How much gain do you need to hit a DAW with a good signal at 24 bits? I try to peak at -12db and have no problem with any of them?
I have used it on 3 pre's and all of them have to be cranked above 3 o'clock to get a good signal..it's not a myth..it does need a lot of gain..a person didn't just make that up!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What if she's a squirter and she peed 10 minutes before the session?!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon ➑️
What if she's a squirter and she peed 10 minutes before the session?!
ahhh....the constant variable that is the "what if?"

here's another what if: what if she brought in a couple of hot friends and the session was "too sexy"?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ahhh....the constant variable that is the "what if?"

here's another what if: what if she brought in a couple of hot friends and the session was "too sexy"?
wait a tick! in this instance i could find a use for the sm-58!
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
I have used it on 3 pre's and all of them have to be cranked above 3 o'clock to get a good signal..it's not a myth..it does need a lot of gain..a person didn't just make that up!!
I just listed more then 3 pres and on none of them have I had to crank the pres past a usable gain structure - meaning to the point where it is too noisy - does it need some gain? Of course it does - what dynamic Mic doesn't but it absolutely does not need numbers like 65-70db of "clean" gain like some people seem to like to state - that is a myth - I've been using the thing for quite a long time with low and high end pres so it really doesn't matter to me whether "a person" made that up or not ..i go by how and what I use it with and I just listed at least two pres that don't have anywhere near that amount of "clean gain" on tap...

I understand how to gain structure in a DAW and how (and when) to use an SM7b
Lives for gear

Probably the most fair statement to make would be 65-70 dB of clean gain is preferable with it though, especially if we were referring to the analog days when S/N ratio was the primary concern. It's not necessary for successful use, but I would think it would give you more options.

I'm guessing a variable impedance would be the thing that would really benefit an SM7b.
Lives for gear

another question about the sm7b!

i didn't want to post a new thread about this..

but i was wondering that since i'll probably be buying an sm7b soon, would i still need an sm57 for recording guitar cabs? i've heard some recordings a friend made with both, and although they do sound a little different, i read that if you turn the presence boost on the sm7b it's almost the same as an sm57
Old 19th July 2009 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just listed more then 3 pres and on none of them have I had to crank the pres past a usable gain structure - meaning to the point where it is too noisy - does it need some gain? Of course it does - what dynamic Mic doesn't but it absolutely does not need numbers like 65-70db of "clean" gain like some people seem to like to state - that is a myth - I've been using the thing for quite a long time with low and high end pres so it really doesn't matter to me whether "a person" made that up or not ..i go by how and what I use it with and I just listed at least two pres that don't have anywhere near that amount of "clean gain" on tap...

I understand how to gain structure in a DAW and how (and when) to use an SM7b
Damn..you having menstrual problems..why do all the idiots come out like there being attacked when someone posts their experience...i COULD GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR KNOWLEDG OF GAIN STRUCTURE OK...just trying to help someone out so take your gain structure insecurities some where else.....I never said I had to turn the gain up so high that noise was introduced....matter of fact.. fuk off, so much for trying to help out, to many idiots like you interrupting a good conversation!!fuuck
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR ➑️
Damn..you having menstrual problems..why do all the idiots come out like there being attacked when someone posts their experience...i COULD GIVE A **** ABOUT YOUR KNOWLEDG OF GAIN STRUCTURE OK...just trying to help someone out so take your gain structure insecurities some where else.....I never said I had to turn the gain up so high that noise was introduced....matter of fact.. fuk off, so much for trying to help out, to many idiots like you interrupting a good conversation!!fuuck
Toddlers..
D K
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Probably the most fair statement to make would be 65-70 dB of clean gain is preferable with it though, especially if we were referring to the analog days when S/N ratio was the primary concern. It's not necessary for successful use, but I would think it would give you more options.

I'm guessing a variable impedance would be the thing that would really benefit an SM7b.
Agreed! - More gain would give you more options - I am probably guilty of only using this mic for certain things /sources. The variable impedance option is probably what makes pres like the GR so effective with it. I would really like to have that pre!! one day..one day..
Old 20th July 2009 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Toddlers..
Look I was more than likely making music while you were still in diapers..and I can understand getting noise off of your Joe Meek VC6 when cranked...I must have a defective 7b cuz It takes more gain then most of my Mic's..
Old 5th December 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Apogee Duet

I have been hearing great things about the Apogee Duet preamplifier. I have a (1) Shure SM7b mic. I am planning on creating a blog using my MAC 2x2.8 GHz Quad0Core Intel Xeon MAC with Garage Band. Any thoughts on this configuration would be appreciated.
Old 5th December 2009 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Well I had to CRANK my old Art mpa gold to push a sm7b..It worked but I was not comfortable having the input and output slammed ..Got a GAP 73 and that pushes the sm7 with gain to spare!!

WOW..this is OLD!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

Again the M Audio DMP3 kicks ass on both the SM7 and the RE20.

72 db of clean gain in version2.

66 db of clean gain version1.

perfect for ribbons and low level dynamics.

I use mine with my little Blondie. Very nice.

150 bucks gets you two channels of preamp. The MS1B sounds the same, Ive used and owned both.

The DMP3 has more features, like hi pass filtering and metering, plus a nice DI.

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov ➑️
72 db of clean gain in version2.

66 db of clean gain version1.
I read on the M-Audio website that the DMP3 v2 has 67dB of gain here?

M-AUDIO - DMP3 - Dual Microphone/Instrument Preamp

In the specs it says it has 72.5 dB of gain?

I also spoke to an M-Audio tech and he said both the old and new DMP3's are exactly the same apart from the paint. Apparently M-Audio gave it a facelift to fit in with their current Profire interfaces?
Old 6th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➑️
I read on the M-Audio website that the DMP3 v2 has 67dB of gain here?

M-AUDIO - DMP3 - Dual Microphone/Instrument Preamp

In the specs it says it has 72.5 dB of gain?

I also spoke to an M-Audio tech and he said both the old and new DMP3's are exactly the same apart from the paint. Apparently M-Audio gave it a facelift to fit in with their current Profire interfaces?
That's interesting if they did that. The old specs definitely say 66db. The new I've seen only 72 for version 2.

I wonder if they didn't change anything internally afterall?

Its still a very good preamp regardless of the issues with getting the specs right.

Works just fine on dynamics either way.

$75 a channel.heh

Peace
Illumination
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just noticed in my manual for the mkI it says Gain Range 13dB - 73 dB yet above it it says Maximum Gain 66dB?

I noticed that these specs differ :-

Maximum Input +10dBv (mkI) - + 14.6 dBu (mkII)

Maximum Output 22dB (mkI) - +27.5dBu (mkII)

Signal To Noise 115dB (mkI) - 120dB (mkII)

THD+N 0.02% (mkI) - 0.00035% (mkII)
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would go with the GAP 73, It pushes my 7b with gain to spare!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➑️
Just noticed in my manual for the mkI it says Gain Range 13dB - 73 dB yet above it it says Maximum Gain 66dB?

I noticed that these specs differ :-

Maximum Input +10dBv (mkI) - + 14.6 dBu (mkII)

Maximum Output 22dB (mkI) - +27.5dBu (mkII)

Signal To Noise 115dB (mkI) - 120dB (mkII)

THD+N 0.02% (mkI) - 0.00035% (mkII)

I think they are lying somewhere. I have ART PRO MPA 2, and it says in manual that you have impedance switch going from 150-2.4 khz, while on the actual unit it says 150, 600, 3khz.

Not really gonna make that much difference to me, but still a lie
Old 15th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'm a total noob so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

I'm building my own recording setup, the heart of which is going to be a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I've been reading about the SM7 and SM7B and the general consensus is that these mics need a lot of gain, but that they are fantastic, versatile mics, which puts them on my list of future equipment.

So here's the question - will I have enough gain on the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 to get good results from an SM7 or SM7B, or do I need to look into another preamp to put ahead of my interface so that I have enough gain to make the mic work well? Would I be wasting my time with an SM7 or SM7B with a Focusrite Saffire interface/preamp?
Old 16th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've run my sm7b through a Grace 101, an Aphex 107, and the stock preamps on a behringer ADA8000. The ADA8000 sounded crappy because you just can't crank the gain on those. but everything else worked out just fine.
Old 13th August 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

Hey. I use this Pre with my Sm7b.( dbx 386 | Sweetwater.com )..I also use this Pre with all the mics i own..(Akg c214 LDC, Sm57's and 58's and more) I love the all around sound of it and things it can accompish for a low price...Streetwater has them for $529 but i found mine 2nd hand a few years back for $375...A little bit more than you want to spend, but yea. Its a nice Pre for Vocals and instruments. Once the tubes in it warm up its great.
Ive had a Joe Meek ThreeQ ( The Joemeek threeQ ) as well which was pretty decent for a cheaper compact unit. Ive also had the Focusrite Octopre and a Grace101(with again was too clean for my liking)
I like the tubes..the digital pres are too clean sounding for my liking....Ive sold all of the other pre's in favor of the 2nd hand Dbx.
There again.. everyone is different and has different ears and likes different characteristics in their recordings/mixes...Good luck with whatever you choose. If i were you Id go to your local music shop and rent a few things and try them before you spend the money...

And yea, like someone said above, LDC's will haunt you if they arent being used in a proper room/booth. I used to have a home made Wooden box type vocal booth in my studio a few years ago to fix those problems but now i just use a completly different room to track from. You will notice the difference right away when you start using the Sm7b, It is a legendary vocal mic like the box says (haha) the low noise is great. Just remember to turn your 48v phantom power off before using it no matter which pre you use, or you will have a smoke show and no more sm7b.

Last edited by Aries; 13th August 2012 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: forgot info
Old 18th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
sm7b and t.c. electronics impact twin?

Hate to detour the thread, but as long as you're discussing the sm7b. Does anyone know if there's enough gain in the impact twin for it, or in the pres inside a yamaha 01V?
πŸ“ Reply