Quantcast
Mix test on small speakers? Too much Bottom. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix test on small speakers? Too much Bottom.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mix test on small speakers? Too much Bottom.

Hey all,
Mixing/working on my main system ... I switch back & forth to a small set of speakers (like the Sony SRS8...etc... thanks Charels Dye). Sometimes I go to a small boombox with a "MEGA BASS" button, or that JBL "On The Road" mini white thing.

Anyway, It seems most all commercial releases sound good/great on these. Even super bottom heavy stuff like Black Eyed Peas.

So when I hear my mixes breaking up on them (sometimes only when I press the "Mega Bass Buttom "), I'd like to get better at finding the area that I am out of headroom etc, so I can get my mixes to "travel" well to most systems.
I am mainly a songwriter/producer.... so I've been trying to get better at the mix thing for a few years now.
Any tips on how to zero in on the troubled freq area to carve?
Usually I can only hear this on small consumer systems which reveal the clipping/flabby/distortion low end etc.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a similar prob - cutting below 40Hz helped in my case (after getting the chance to hear several of my tracks on some very good mains)
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
I had a similar prob - cutting below 40Hz helped in my case (after getting the chance to hear several of my tracks on some very good mains)
Yea, I HPF most channels, and that has helped a lot, but I'm still looking for more insight etc.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I cut allot of bass tracks from 0hz till 40/50hz. Why? 90procent of the people push directly the "+1 gizillian bassboost" button on there small systems...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…