Quantcast
MOTU 828 mk2 analog outs and logic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 828 mk2 analog outs and logic
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MOTU 828 mk2 analog outs and logic

Why are my analog outs (marked 1-8 on rear panel) on my 828 different in logic? If I want to chose analog 1 on the MOTU I have to select output 3 in a channel within logic if that makes sense. So on the MOTU they are marked 1-8 and within logic they are 3-10. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 6th February 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasan ➑️
Why are my analog outs (marked 1-8 on rear panel) on my 828 different in logic? If I want to chose analog 1 on the MOTU I have to select output 3 in a channel within logic if that makes sense. So on the MOTU they are marked 1-8 and within logic they are 3-10. Am I doing something wrong?
MOTU are idiots, enough said. Same thing here with mine using Logic.
In cubase, it will allow me to change and label it properly. Im with you though it get REAL confusing trying to remember where stuff is located. I actually have a sheet I typed up and put on my rack so I can look at it
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I feel better now I know I'm "not alone". Is there no way of changing this then?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
MOTU are idiots, enough said. Same thing here with mine using Logic.
In cubase, it will allow me to change and label it properly. Im with you though it get REAL confusing trying to remember where stuff is located. I actually have a sheet I typed up and put on my rack so I can look at it
MOTU are idiots? How do you figure? That interface has a main output. That is the first published output (1-2). The other analog outs are 3-10. Are they idiots for giving you 10 outputs? Or you don't like the order they are published in? Did it occur to you that if they published the outputs in a different order someone else might be mad? Or maybe Logic should have a better facility for naming/rearranging outputs? I mean, in DP (made by those "idots" at MOTU) this isn't a problem because I can change the order of outs and name them. I mean, geez, you said yourself in Cubase it was a non issue. But it's MOTU's fault?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand the published outs on the MOTU. I was curious whether you could change the output names in Logic so they were all numbered the samebut I guess you can't?

🎧 10 years
You can in DP!

Totally unhelpful i know, but it's pretty sweet.

There's got to be a way in logic to rename stuff....in DP ins/outs/busses are mapped to physical outputs/inputs in the astronomically idiotically named "Bundles" window. must be something like that in Logic too.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Right.

My (darkside) DAW lets one give the drivers "friendly names" -- but that's not a big deal since it uses the MOTU names, anyway, so my 828mkII's main outs are called "MOTU Main Outs" and the others, "MOTU Analog 1/2"... etc. (My video editor, Vegas, also uses the MOTU names. No friendly names, though.)

Very handy. Very... logical...

heh
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➑️
MOTU are idiots? How do you figure? That interface has a main output. That is the first published output (1-2). The other analog outs are 3-10. Are they idiots for giving you 10 outputs? Or you don't like the order they are published in? Did it occur to you that if they published the outputs in a different order someone else might be mad? Or maybe Logic should have a better facility for naming/rearranging outputs? I mean, in DP (made by those "idots" at MOTU) this isn't a problem because I can change the order of outs and name them. I mean, geez, you said yourself in Cubase it was a non issue. But it's MOTU's fault?
Maybe you DONT get it my man. On the BACK of my MOTU 828 MKii the outputs are labeled

L/R Main outs
Outputs 1-8 , NOT 3-10 as you say

NOW, when you go into your DAW software, this case Logic which you dont have, the inputs come up as 1-10 here. That means that in Logic ;you have to remember that the outputs though labeled 1-10 DO NOT coincide with the labeling on the back of the unit. SO output 3 in your software is now actually output 1 on the back of the MOTU, output 4 is actually output number 2 on the MOTU. Get it???????

Take a look at the input path as its just as convoluted there as well.

Cubase JUST fixed this in version 4. Logic is still starting with number 1 being the Mic input on the front. ALL the other interfaces out there label their inputs and output appropriately with the driver as the front mic inputs being 1 and 2 and the back being 3- whatever, not so with MOTU.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
Maybe you DONT get it my man. On the BACK of my MOTU 828 MKii the outputs are labeled

L/R Main outs
Outputs 1-8 , NOT 3-10 as you say

NOW, when you go into your DAW software, this case Logic which you dont have, the inputs come up as 1-10 here. That means that in Logic ;you have to remember that the outputs though labeled 1-10 DO NOT coincide with the labeling on the back of the unit. SO output 3 in your software is now actually output 1 on the back of the MOTU, output 4 is actually output number 2 on the MOTU. Get it???????

Take a look at the input path as its just as convoluted there as well.

Cubase JUST fixed this in version 4. Logic is still starting with number 1 being the Mic input on the front. ALL the other interfaces out there label their inputs and output appropriately with the driver as the front mic inputs being 1 and 2 and the back being 3- whatever, not so with MOTU.
You should definitely write Apple and tell them to fix Logic's apparent inability to name I/O. Maybe MOTU will send them a copy of DP so they can see what that feature looks like.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Why can't you label the I/O whatever you want in Logic?

Options

Audio

I/O Labels
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you can actually change the hardware i/o labels in logic easily.. Ive done it for my 828.. Don't remember how but it took me like 2 minutes to figure it out.. it's called i/o labels I think..

oh, adam beat me to it

huub
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➑️
you can actually change the hardware i/o labels in logic easily.. Ive done it for my 828.. Don't remember how but it took me like 2 minutes to figure it out.. it's called i/o labels I think..

huub
Great, then what are we arguing about? My bitch is someone saying MOTU are idiots because of a labeling issue in a DAW not made by MOTU. Just because the 8 individual analog outs are 1-8 doesn't mean they're supposed to be the first 8. It's not like the label on the back says "1-8, in your software". 1-8 simply refers to the sequence of individual analog outs (non main outs).
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Great, then what are we arguing about? My bitch is someone saying MOTU are idiots because of a labeling issue in a DAW not made by MOTU.
Mark of the Uniform and Smigital Reformer.....live to fight another day
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️

Options

Audio

I/O Labels
Works great
Deleted User
Quote:
My bitch is someone saying MOTU are idiots because of a labeling issue in a DAW not made by MOTU.
We are arguing about YOU not wanting ME to have a diff opinion than YOU. Simple, I dont care what you think about how I feel about MOTU, end of story

There WAS a time when you could NOT change the I/O labeling in the DAWs themselves
Maybe your too young to remember thatheh. Im sure everything is wonderful in DP

Those I/O boxes made my MOTU are SUPPOSED to work with other daws BTW, not just DP. Again, my perspective was from a Cubase one and NOT Logic in this case. I hardly ever open up Logic and just did tonight to check this out.

The question has been answered so Im done here
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Great, this thread helps me also quite a bit! But I have another question which relates to this i guess..

I also have a Motu 828mkiii and work in logic pro 8, and my main outs are 9-10, since my analogue outs are 1-8. Now I have a problem with this because all my previews (like a loop, a sample or just in the sample editor) are sending to analogue 1-2. So I can't hear them! And I just can't find the way to change their outputs! Does someone have a clue..?

Thanks!
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielbusscher ➑️
Great, this thread helps me also quite a bit! But I have another question which relates to this i guess..

I also have a Motu 828mkiii and work in logic pro 8, and my main outs are 9-10, since my analogue outs are 1-8. Now I have a problem with this because all my previews (like a loop, a sample or just in the sample editor) are sending to analogue 1-2. So I can't hear them! And I just can't find the way to change their outputs! Does someone have a clue..?

Thanks!
In Logic's Mixer Page, there is a way to view ALL, which will show you the PRELISTEN track. Set this track to 9-10, save the session as a template and you'll be ready for battle. Or you can use CUE MIX to route audio to 9-10. I would change the PRELISTEN track.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Options

Audio

I/O Labels
Thanks very much for the heads up. Am in my studio just now and have re-labelled all outputs using your top tip. I'm a happy chappie.
Best, joe.
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasan ➑️
Thanks very much for the heads up. Am in my studio just now and have re-labelled all outputs using your top tip. I'm a happy chappie.
Best, joe.
Glad to help!!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks man!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You could always use a label maker and relabel the back of the MOTU and be happy with the default software settings
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven ➑️
You could always use a label maker and relabel the back of the MOTU and be happy with the default software settings
Or use the Cue mix control panel to label them to whatever you want.
Old 27th August 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
still not a perfect fix

Quote:
In Logic's Mixer Page, there is a way to view ALL, which will show you the PRELISTEN track. Set this track to 9-10, save the session as a template and you'll be ready for battle. Or you can use CUE MIX to route audio to 9-10. I would change the PRELISTEN track.
There is a problem with this solution though, when you go to add a new track logic will default the audio outs back to 1-2, sure you can change this in the menu before you add the tracks but the environment still believes that 1-2 are the default output

is there a way to assign 9-10 as logic's official default out?
Old 27th August 2009 | Show parent
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2000 ➑️
There is a problem with this solution though, when you go to add a new track logic will default the audio outs back to 1-2, sure you can change this in the menu before you add the tracks but the environment still believes that 1-2 are the default output

is there a way to assign 9-10 as logic's official default out?
Not sure what you mean about the environment.

You can use create new track, [+] which brings the dialog up, and lets you assign the track, or multiple tracks however you want. This is how I achieve routing multichannel layout with one command. You can route 16 channels at a time, and have them cascade to 1:1 routing, or mirror outputs to 9-10 for however many tracks you create.....its however you command it to be. The way I see it, you should absolutely be able to set up your session the way you like it, with all your routing and settings, and save it as a template, so its recall able and you don't have to move the mouse, more than you have to.
πŸ“ Reply