Quantcast
MOTU 828 mk2 analog outs and logic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU 828 mk2 analog outs and logic
Old 6th February 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
montanasan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
MOTU 828 mk2 analog outs and logic

Why are my analog outs (marked 1-8 on rear panel) on my 828 different in logic? If I want to chose analog 1 on the MOTU I have to select output 3 in a channel within logic if that makes sense. So on the MOTU they are marked 1-8 and within logic they are 3-10. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 6th February 2009
  #2
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasan ➑️
Why are my analog outs (marked 1-8 on rear panel) on my 828 different in logic? If I want to chose analog 1 on the MOTU I have to select output 3 in a channel within logic if that makes sense. So on the MOTU they are marked 1-8 and within logic they are 3-10. Am I doing something wrong?
MOTU are idiots, enough said. Same thing here with mine using Logic.
In cubase, it will allow me to change and label it properly. Im with you though it get REAL confusing trying to remember where stuff is located. I actually have a sheet I typed up and put on my rack so I can look at it
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
montanasan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I feel better now I know I'm "not alone". Is there no way of changing this then?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dannygold's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
MOTU are idiots, enough said. Same thing here with mine using Logic.
In cubase, it will allow me to change and label it properly. Im with you though it get REAL confusing trying to remember where stuff is located. I actually have a sheet I typed up and put on my rack so I can look at it
MOTU are idiots? How do you figure? That interface has a main output. That is the first published output (1-2). The other analog outs are 3-10. Are they idiots for giving you 10 outputs? Or you don't like the order they are published in? Did it occur to you that if they published the outputs in a different order someone else might be mad? Or maybe Logic should have a better facility for naming/rearranging outputs? I mean, in DP (made by those "idots" at MOTU) this isn't a problem because I can change the order of outs and name them. I mean, geez, you said yourself in Cubase it was a non issue. But it's MOTU's fault?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
montanasan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I understand the published outs on the MOTU. I was curious whether you could change the output names in Logic so they were all numbered the samebut I guess you can't?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
You can in DP!

Totally unhelpful i know, but it's pretty sweet.

There's got to be a way in logic to rename stuff....in DP ins/outs/busses are mapped to physical outputs/inputs in the astronomically idiotically named "Bundles" window. must be something like that in Logic too.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Right.

My (darkside) DAW lets one give the drivers "friendly names" -- but that's not a big deal since it uses the MOTU names, anyway, so my 828mkII's main outs are called "MOTU Main Outs" and the others, "MOTU Analog 1/2"... etc. (My video editor, Vegas, also uses the MOTU names. No friendly names, though.)

Very handy. Very... logical...

heh
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➑️
MOTU are idiots? How do you figure? That interface has a main output. That is the first published output (1-2). The other analog outs are 3-10. Are they idiots for giving you 10 outputs? Or you don't like the order they are published in? Did it occur to you that if they published the outputs in a different order someone else might be mad? Or maybe Logic should have a better facility for naming/rearranging outputs? I mean, in DP (made by those "idots" at MOTU) this isn't a problem because I can change the order of outs and name them. I mean, geez, you said yourself in Cubase it was a non issue. But it's MOTU's fault?
Maybe you DONT get it my man. On the BACK of my MOTU 828 MKii the outputs are labeled

L/R Main outs
Outputs 1-8 , NOT 3-10 as you say

NOW, when you go into your DAW software, this case Logic which you dont have, the inputs come up as 1-10 here. That means that in Logic ;you have to remember that the outputs though labeled 1-10 DO NOT coincide with the labeling on the back of the unit. SO output 3 in your software is now actually output 1 on the back of the MOTU, output 4 is actually output number 2 on the MOTU. Get it???????

Take a look at the input path as its just as convoluted there as well.

Cubase JUST fixed this in version 4. Logic is still starting with number 1 being the Mic input on the front. ALL the other interfaces out there label their inputs and output appropriately with the driver as the front mic inputs being 1 and 2 and the back being 3- whatever, not so with MOTU.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
dannygold's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
Maybe you DONT get it my man. On the BACK of my MOTU 828 MKii the outputs are labeled

L/R Main outs
Outputs 1-8 , NOT 3-10 as you say

NOW, when you go into your DAW software, this case Logic which you dont have, the inputs come up as 1-10 here. That means that in Logic ;you have to remember that the outputs though labeled 1-10 DO NOT coincide with the labeling on the back of the unit. SO output 3 in your software is now actually output 1 on the back of the MOTU, output 4 is actually output number 2 on the MOTU. Get it???????

Take a look at the input path as its just as convoluted there as well.

Cubase JUST fixed this in version 4. Logic is still starting with number 1 being the Mic input on the front. ALL the other interfaces out there label their inputs and output appropriately with the driver as the front mic inputs being 1 and 2 and the back being 3- whatever, not so with MOTU.
You should definitely write Apple and tell them to fix Logic's apparent inability to name I/O. Maybe MOTU will send them a copy of DP so they can see what that feature looks like.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #10
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Why can't you label the I/O whatever you want in Logic?

Options

Audio

I/O Labels
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
you can actually change the hardware i/o labels in logic easily.. Ive done it for my 828.. Don't remember how but it took me like 2 minutes to figure it out.. it's called i/o labels I think..

oh, adam beat me to it

huub
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
dannygold's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➑️
you can actually change the hardware i/o labels in logic easily.. Ive done it for my 828.. Don't remember how but it took me like 2 minutes to figure it out.. it's called i/o labels I think..

huub
Great, then what are we arguing about? My bitch is someone saying MOTU are idiots because of a labeling issue in a DAW not made by MOTU. Just because the 8 individual analog outs are 1-8 doesn't mean they're supposed to be the first 8. It's not like the label on the back says "1-8, in your software". 1-8 simply refers to the sequence of individual analog outs (non main outs).
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #13
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➑️
Great, then what are we arguing about? My bitch is someone saying MOTU are idiots because of a labeling issue in a DAW not made by MOTU.
Mark of the Uniform and Smigital Reformer.....live to fight another day
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Why can't you label the I/O whatever you want in Logic?

Options

Audio

I/O Labels
Works great
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygold ➑️
My bitch is someone saying MOTU are idiots because of a labeling issue in a DAW not made by MOTU.
We are arguing about YOU not wanting ME to have a diff opinion than YOU. Simple, I dont care what you think about how I feel about MOTU, end of story

There WAS a time when you could NOT change the I/O labeling in the DAWs themselves
Maybe your too young to remember thatheh. Im sure everything is wonderful in DP

Those I/O boxes made my MOTU are SUPPOSED to work with other daws BTW, not just DP. Again, my perspective was from a Cubase one and NOT Logic in this case. I hardly ever open up Logic and just did tonight to check this out.

The question has been answered so Im done here
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Great, this thread helps me also quite a bit! But I have another question which relates to this i guess..

I also have a Motu 828mkiii and work in logic pro 8, and my main outs are 9-10, since my analogue outs are 1-8. Now I have a problem with this because all my previews (like a loop, a sample or just in the sample editor) are sending to analogue 1-2. So I can't hear them! And I just can't find the way to change their outputs! Does someone have a clue..?

Thanks!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #17
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielbusscher ➑️
Great, this thread helps me also quite a bit! But I have another question which relates to this i guess..

I also have a Motu 828mkiii and work in logic pro 8, and my main outs are 9-10, since my analogue outs are 1-8. Now I have a problem with this because all my previews (like a loop, a sample or just in the sample editor) are sending to analogue 1-2. So I can't hear them! And I just can't find the way to change their outputs! Does someone have a clue..?

Thanks!
In Logic's Mixer Page, there is a way to view ALL, which will show you the PRELISTEN track. Set this track to 9-10, save the session as a template and you'll be ready for battle. Or you can use CUE MIX to route audio to 9-10. I would change the PRELISTEN track.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
montanasan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
Why can't you label the I/O whatever you want in Logic?

Options

Audio

I/O Labels
Thanks very much for the heads up. Am in my studio just now and have re-labelled all outputs using your top tip. I'm a happy chappie.
Best, joe.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
  #19
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanasan ➑️
Thanks very much for the heads up. Am in my studio just now and have re-labelled all outputs using your top tip. I'm a happy chappie.
Best, joe.
Glad to help!!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks man!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
seven's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You could always use a label maker and relabel the back of the MOTU and be happy with the default software settings
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #22
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven ➑️
You could always use a label maker and relabel the back of the MOTU and be happy with the default software settings
Or use the Cue mix control panel to label them to whatever you want.
Old 27th August 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
still not a perfect fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell ➑️
In Logic's Mixer Page, there is a way to view ALL, which will show you the PRELISTEN track. Set this track to 9-10, save the session as a template and you'll be ready for battle. Or you can use CUE MIX to route audio to 9-10. I would change the PRELISTEN track.
There is a problem with this solution though, when you go to add a new track logic will default the audio outs back to 1-2, sure you can change this in the menu before you add the tracks but the environment still believes that 1-2 are the default output

is there a way to assign 9-10 as logic's official default out?
Old 27th August 2009 | Show parent
  #24
70% Coffee, 30% Beer
 
Doc Mixwell's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2000 ➑️
There is a problem with this solution though, when you go to add a new track logic will default the audio outs back to 1-2, sure you can change this in the menu before you add the tracks but the environment still believes that 1-2 are the default output

is there a way to assign 9-10 as logic's official default out?
Not sure what you mean about the environment.

You can use create new track, [+] which brings the dialog up, and lets you assign the track, or multiple tracks however you want. This is how I achieve routing multichannel layout with one command. You can route 16 channels at a time, and have them cascade to 1:1 routing, or mirror outputs to 9-10 for however many tracks you create.....its however you command it to be. The way I see it, you should absolutely be able to set up your session the way you like it, with all your routing and settings, and save it as a template, so its recall able and you don't have to move the mouse, more than you have to.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 614407
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 184 views: 75959
Avatar for audiomizer
audiomizer 22nd June 2015
replies: 98 views: 38681
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump