Allen & Heath - System 8 - 248 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath - System 8 - 248
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Allen & Heath - System 8 - 248

Hi All,

I've seen a few System 8 threads which were great in helping me to decide whether to buy or not, and I did in the end.

I've got a 248 which sits proudly in my control room now and I'm a happy bunny !

So, I have a few issues with it and need to carry out some maintenance on it - there are 2 obvious issues with it.

1) VU Meter lights are all out. All the Meters themselves are functioning, but the lights are not. How do I open that meter bridge unit up and where can I get replacements ?

2) Scratchy Faders and Pots. I've quite a few of these, and I was working them last night by just moving the pots side to side and faders up and down. The desk has been in storage for at least a year so needs some tlc now. There are a few stubborn ones left and I had bought some DeOxit F5 to clean them. At the last minute, I read a few threads (from Jim Williams among others) who advised to only use the DeOxit as a last resort. So I didn't use anythng yet.

Other than that, there are 24 outputs on the back of the meter bridge - what exactly are they for as I can't find any ref to them in the documentaiton I have (I have the MK2 manual only) ?

Lastly, how do I open the thing up to check inside without flipping it onto the floor as it's a heavy beast.

Otherwise, I'm delighted with it - and looking forward to now having that hands on front end to my DAW that I've wanted for some time now.

Even having sent out 5 stereo stems and then 4 bussing them on 2 tracks I'm currently working on was the best buzz I've had in ages.

Anyone got a manual for this thing ? Any other comments ?

Cheers,

Al.
Old 7th February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bump ! Any Takers !

I'm dying to open this thing up, but I don't want to take the wrong screw out heh

Cheers,

Al.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Free samples + sample loops + drum loops + drum samples + recording studio equipment manuals

bunch of stuff there, manuals, schematics etc
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey all,

@7161: I've already got all of those documents - they are free at Allen& Heath's site - nice that I had to join the site to find that out !

Anyone else got some help here please? A friend of mine suggested that the VU meters may be backlit and not front lit - is that right ?

Regards,

Al.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi All,

An update - I've found out that I have a 24:8:2 Mk 1 model.

It was in the last 10 Mk1's to be made.

Al.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I still use the my System 8-16 channel rig. A few of the lights are out. I do not really care. Working the pots and faders usually clears them up!!!! At the moment I am using the pre-amps through the direct out for my drum mics. Check out the A&H site for the manual{PDF}
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Looks like I have to specially order the System 8 Mark 1 user and service manual's from Allen & Heath (Assuming that they actually have them available !!)

I've also found the vu bulbs and hope to get those from them again.

Anyone give any tips on opening the VU meter section up to have a look in there? Anything I should be careful about ?
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi all,

So Allen & Heath don't have the Mark 1 manual at all - only the Mark 2.

I've been wiring more and more and have 16 stems going into it, I have the master insert's set up and I've got 8 coming back out of it into the MOTU.

O yeah, I changed my HD896 to a 24IO to facilitate the desk - so now I can't stop thinking about the Black Lion Mod
Old 16th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHatNoSwim ➑️
Hi All,

Other than that, there are 24 outputs on the back of the meter bridge - what exactly are they for as I can't find any ref to them in the documentaiton I have (I have the MK2 manual only) ?

Al.
does anyone know the answer to this? i want to use the direct outs to feed my DAW for tracking. are they pre or post eq/fader. i can't find this info anywhere!
πŸ“ Reply