Quantcast
Rode Nt1 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode Nt1
Old 31st December 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What else in the signal chain

I've used the Rode series of mics and with the right vocalist, engineer, pre, eq and compression they can sound great. Its kind like judging a guitar without knowing who's playing it, what kinda strings are used and pedals ,cables etc. Having said that the mic doesn't sound like a collector piece offer 50$ or save for something that works with your gear.
Old 31st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Funny how people just pickup the conversion where it left off on a 10 month old thread

Rev.
Old 1st January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ten months ago? It seems like yesterday.....
Old 1st January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's the time-bending Interweb for ya!

Speaking of the NT1a - the headbasket of this mic has always bugged me (shown below) Its got like only 10% open area at the bottom and has wicked internal standing waves as a result. I've been thinking of setting my sites on this model as a mod candidate. I would make a completely new headbasket and replace the stock K67-type capsule with my MJE-K47.
Attached Thumbnails
Rode Nt1-nt1a_basket.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly ➑️
Speaking of the NT1a - the headbasket of this mic has always bugged me (shown below) Its got like only 10% open area at the bottom and has wicked internal standing waves as a result.
Ya know... that's an excellent observation! I never even noticed that but you're right, it gets really tight as it goes down.

I will say the NT1 served us (my band = me and my singer) very well for our first release. But now I listen to the recording and wish I paid more mind to the sibilance of the mic. I still have it but now have the Rode NT1000 which is FAR better IMO (warmer, fuller, less sibilant, and freaking kills on my Mesa guitar cab believe it or not!) as well as the MXL 960 w/ NOS Mullard inside which I've only recorded with once so far but really like it.

The resale value on the NT1 makes it pointless to sell so I might be interested if you do come up with a mod for it.

Rev.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have a quite early Oz made NT1. (I know it was pretty early because I remember I had to pay $415 of the $450 US MSRP.) I'm not really familiar with a "white" model. (Was it a special anniversary model or something?)

Like all mics, it has uses for which its well suited and other stuff where its characteristics make it a less desirable fit.

I like it a lot on my own acoustic guitar and vocals. But when I was still taking clients, I often ended up using a much flatter mic (a quite flat mic, actually, a 'vintage' Equitek II big di) with a lot of vocalists after first trying the NT1. But, for my voice, the NT1 did pulled out just what I was looking for.

Sorry to fall back on the contextual thing... but... really, that's why people have a bunch of mics in their locker... one size seldom fits all.

$150 -- if, if, if it's in really good shape -- seems OK if the mic is what you're looking for for your purposes. But I think the (now China-made) NT1a sells for not much more than that, new.

PS... Oops... stumbled into a time warp. Well, the fact that this thread zombied up means someone was interested.
Old 2nd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
With regard to interference patterns within the grille structure, there are no doubt some effects... but I'm not sure that 'standing wave' is a term I would leap to use... A standing wave by common definition is a 'static' resonance produced by two or more parallel boundaries (typically we're talking about structural walls, of course).

But, no doubt, any grille design will create some kind of internal interference patterns, as will other internal structures.
Old 3rd January 2010 | Show parent
sja
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi there,

Old thread.

I have been using the humble Rode NT-1a for a few years, and I always find it a little amusing that some people seem to have so much dislike for it. For sure it is a budget microphone, but I have never been disappointed with the results (in low-end context). I often wonder if the people who have trouble getting a decent sound using the NT-1a understand how to use this microphone correctly.

Blue, correct me if I am wrong, but my undestanding is that the NT-1a is made completely in Australia. I thought early models or the NT1 used a capsule sourced from China, but the current models (including the two NT-1a's in my studio, and the NT3 and the M1 and all other Rode mic's) are 100% made in Oz. That's what is written on the mic, and what is shown on the website. Perhaps it is a recent change?

Anyway, I am more curious about the notion of the standing wave issue that Michael Joly has raised.

If I look at my Rode NT-1a (which I assume is the same as all of the others) I see probably between 1.5 to 2cm of gap between the bottom of the grill and the capsule. If a standing wave was possible, this would result in a frequency of somewhere between 17kHz and 22kHz (depending on whether 1.5 or 2cm was the actual distance).

Question for Michael. How have you observed the standing wave problem with an NT-1a? I am interested to see if I can measure or quantify how much affect it is contributing to the sound I get from the microphone.

Thanks,

sja
Old 3rd January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is issue is a bit more complex than a single reflection between the grille and the capsule. I think of the headbasket more as a chamber, defined by its outside dimensions and thus capable of influencing sound at lower frequencies due to the longer front-to-back and top-to-bottom dimensions.

The influence of the multiple mesh layer cylindrical headbasket on the sound of the K47 capsule installed in the U 47 microphone led eventually to the more open, and angled M 49 headbasket (and its descendants the U 67 and U 87 headbasket style) as a means of reducing internal reflections and coloration.

Re: Quantifying headbasket effects. Because the very high impedance condenser capsule must be operated inside a headbasket to provide electromagnet shielding it is really a moot point to try and measure the total effect of a headbasket by removing it and conducting the test in a Faraday cage - because a condenser mic can't be operated this way in practice. Before / after headbasket mod recordings of both steady steady state and impulse noise can quantify these headbasket effects.

But after hearing lots of headbasket types of various dimension, modifying them and listening to the results I've been able to look at a headbasket and roughly imagine the extent to which the headbasket will influence the sound of the capsule. While some people like the various EQ curves that can be created by headbasket reflections, I prefer to hear as much as possible, the sound of the capsule without an added layer acoustical filtering that, by definition, must lengthen transient response times as it modifies frequency response.
Old 5th January 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi there,

I used an original NT 1 for over 10 years until quite recently and realised a disappointing truth about it as soon as I upgraded to the much more refined NTK (hey I'm a Melbournian so we keep thigs in the family). It lacks character. Cheap mikes shouldn't lack character - they should be smothered in it, other wise you never reach for them once you sneak your mike list up above the $1000 mark. Cheap mikes rule about 5% of the time. Your all-purpose go-to mike needs to be the opposite - a total workhorse - and as a result the NT-1 has little to recommend it, once your salary allows you a little more latitude. The NT-1 is the same as a K-Mart bicycle, a Squire strat or a copy of Playboy.
Old 8th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Speaking of the NT1a - the headbasket of this mic has always bugged me (shown below) Its got like only 10% open area at the bottom and has wicked internal standing waves as a result. I've been thinking of setting my sites on this model as a mod candidate. I would make a completely new headbasket and replace the stock K67-type capsule with my MJE-K47.

The NT1A is Sweetwater's best selling LDC so that means a huge installed base of prospects...
Well, I have an NT1 that I would gladly lend you to get some mods going if you decided to take that on. thumbsup
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well I wonder if Pred80r got the mic or not???

For whatever it's worth I have a NTK that works quite well (exceptional) on a good capture. (piano and male voice, thus far) - I will try it on a guitar cab in the near future...

Most of all, the customer service experience I've had with the Rode service department is excellent. No complaints there at all. Top notch and very on the money. I probably will not sell this mic anytime soon.

010 --- YEAH baby!!!

MD

FYEnjoyment --- There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary and those who can't.
Lives for gear

Quote:

The NT1A is Sweetwater's best selling LDC so that means a huge installed base of prospects...
holy crap if you modded my nt1-a i would be the happiest camper ever.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Say what you will, the NT1 is one of the quietest mics ever built. I have never used one, but I do have a pair of the original NT2s, they work pretty well on a lot alot of things like drum overheads and some vocals. I would not say they are great at any one thing, but what they do is acceptable.
Old 9th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa ➑️
Say what you will, the NT1 is one of the quietest mics ever built...
Yeah, for that reason I believe it has the potential to be an exceptional mic for quiet sources if the capsule and headbasket were changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_z ➑️
Well, I have an NT1 that I would gladly lend you to get some mods going if you decided to take that on. thumbsup
Thanks for the offer. But I've got one on order.
Old 9th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been thinking of setting my sites on this model as a mod candidate. I would make a completely new headbasket and replace the stock K67-type capsule with my MJE-K47.
That's a good news. I have two NT1A's and can't find any use for them in my studio, so the only hope is modding, done by master . I was thinking about selling them, but now i'll wait, and hope that Michael will mod them soon.
Old 10th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
FWIW - I took my old original NT-1 tonight and replaced the capsule with one from a Behringer B-1 - an old 797 - i also took out the extra layer of mesh in the headbasket - the mic is certainly brighter, but it's also clearer - the Jim Williams designed electronics of the NT-1 were stuck with a dull capsule. With a great capsule, this thing would be really nice.

Last edited by changeng; 10th January 2010 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 16th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New NT1a Mod

I've completed an intense period of R&D and now have a new modification for the RODE NT1a - new, more open-area "67 / 87" style headbasket and MJE-K47 capsule. Sounds righteous with that low noise (5 dBa) circuit in this mic. No more sizzle, just classic midrange punch.
Attached Thumbnails
Rode Nt1-michael_joly_nt1a_mod.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Sweet!

Will it work on NT-1 (non 'a') as well?

And this is a mod you do, right? I mean, not DIY.

Herwig
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah. I can do this on an NT1 also. And yes, the work is done in my shop. I'm really happy with the way the NT1a came out - looks like a baby U 87. In fact, I've got to work up some sound samples against my '70's U 87.
πŸ“ Reply