Quantcast
Rode NT5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode NT5
Old 5th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Rode NT5

i'm looking into buying a stereo pair. I am on a budget however. I have worked with some Rodes NT5's before and they're not bad. They're no KM184's but i think they're decent. Are their any other models you know of with a nice consumer based price range? i'd like to keep my options open before i just go out and buy some NT5's. Any feedback on the Rodes or any other similar mics would be much appreciated. thanks.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oktava 012 (my pick)
Audio Technica 4041
Beyerdynamic MC930
Budget - MXL 603

Lot's of options...depends on preference, and source.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well i want to go with a good cardioid pair, something i can do a lot with. I want them to sound good and be reasonably priced (preferably in the four to five hundred range for the pair). Obviously, that's what everyone wants out of a microphone. But yeah, a solid pair of cardioid mics is what i'm looking for suggestions on.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Avenson STO-2's (OMNI)
Shure SM81's
AT4041SP
Rode NT5

Is there some particular use you're looking for? Audience perspective? Drum Overheads? Guitar plus vocal? Any particular type? colored? transparent? flat? extra highs? extra lows? High SPL? High gain long distance? Bright? Mello? Boomy?

AT822?
AT825?
Shure KM141?

And various specialized options.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The NT5s are nice, provided that you check them before buying. Rode does a terrible job matching them (at least in my case, unfortunately).
That being said, they are nice mics with a tighter cardioid pattern than the MK012.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i love my nt5 pair. i think mine are perfectly matched. they are a bit hyped in the top end, but i usually run them into my isa428 to round them out a bit. i have actually pondered getting another pair of them for additional toms mic'ing duties, but as of right now, i have bigger fish to fry.

rich
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you can stretch your budget a bit more (or quite a lot actually) the Beyerdynamic MC930 are really good for what you pay for them and in my opinion have a deeper, more detailed, more mature sound, in particular for classical recording. The NT5s are in my view a bit thin and bright but not in a good way. You can make very good recordings with them but still I feel something is missing.
I would love to get a pair of Sennheiser MKH 8040 though... Now these are fantastic, articulate sounding mics!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
to be honest, i'll be using them for a lot of stuff. drum overheads, location recordings for small ensembles, trying them on on my guitars. at this point, i'm trying to get a solid cardioid condenser pair that i can utilize for a lot of stuff, and won't put a hole in my pocket. i don't really have the money or the resources to get a particular mic for one particular sound, but i'm just trying to get a flat stereo pair that can applied to lots of situations. that hardest part about that is the fact that i really can't go over about 500 for these mics. 6 maybe but it would be pushing it. that's why i turned to all you guys for some advice before i just went out and bought those nt5's.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oktava 012's would be a better all-round mic, in my opinion, for those duties. Buy a pair and then later when you've got some extra, get them modded. Or just save a few more bucks and get the modded ones direct ($669).
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

AT4041 are good all-arounders.

The new SP C4 set is worth considering (the older design was good on sources that weren't too loud, but the electronics were redesigned).

If you work in good acoustic spaces, the Kel HM-1 is a nice pair (You'll want a pair of these eventually anyway given their price and performance). They are a wide cardioid, but not too wide.

-tINY

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey. buy them used through here....you can get them for 200... CLASSIFIEDS MAN!

i just bought a M-audio Sputnik (Retail =$800-$1000) and 2 MATCHED Pulsar II's (Retail $300) for $575 Shipped through here!

^^^^ deal and they were b-new in box, with NOTHING wrong with them.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks a lot guys. a lot of good options. i appreciate it.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I will be buying a pair soon and my eyes are set at the Audio Technica ATM450.

Just my to bit´s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deep2112 ➡️
I will be buying a pair soon and my eyes are set at the Audio Technica ATM450.

Just my to bit´s
you will love the 450s. i have them per recommendation from warren at FEA. use them on overheads and acoustic. mmmm.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As allrounders, Beyerdynamics mc930 is much better choice. I have both and choose mc930's over NT5's all the time. Actually i was a bit dissapointed, when i compared NT's with Samson OC2, and Samsons sounded almost the same. And Samsons costs much less...
Beyers are killers on accoustic guitar and avesome on choirs or drum overheads. For me it's impossible to get even close with Rodes.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened ➡️
you will love the 450s. i have them per recommendation from warren at FEA. use them on overheads and acoustic. mmmm.
Yep, Warren is the man! It´s not the only thing I´am buying per his recommendations. A pair of Yammi MSP5 or MSP7´s are on there way too

I really respect Warrens honest thoughts on gear, that to me is priceless. That´s why he has all my confidence and I trust I will be making a good buy. If I was in the States, I would defenitly buy at FEA.

Best,

Mike
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I"m rather liking my SM81's. More of a stereo image (perhaps too much). More TUBA presence. Lower noise floor. All of the things that I wished that I had all along. Poor man's 8040's IMO.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I actually did some pretty in depth comparisons between my pair of 81s and NT5s.

Looking at new prices, the 81s are twice as much...so, I should admit that it's not really "fair" per se, but...there's much more "reality" in the 81s. Now, sometimes that made the NT5s more flattering...but, never by much.

The NT5s seemed kinda empty in the middle. Made for a nice strummy acoustic sound...but, a processed hollow sound on the top of the Leslie.

Bottom line...they don't suck...but, since I paid less for my two 81s used than a new set of NT5s, it's a no brainer unless you're getting the NT5s used for super cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcd32 ➡️
Hey. buy them used through here....you can get them for 200... CLASSIFIEDS MAN!

i just bought a M-audio Sputnik (Retail =$800-$1000) and 2 MATCHED Pulsar II's (Retail $300) for $575 Shipped through here!

^^^^ deal and they were b-new in box, with NOTHING wrong with them.
Wow! That's a pretty dang good deal there amigo
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I had a pair. I don't have a very impressive mic collection, and they were never my first choice.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Yeah I had a pair too..

They sound ok until you compare them to something half decent. They have almost no detail in the highs. Smeary and small sounding mics. Avoid.

Save a couple of more bucks for Avensons. They are real mics and something you'll probably never grow out of. I brought a pair after I sold my nt5's and am very glad I did.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I actually have a pair that I have been using for drum overheads. They sound Ok, but not great. i tried them on heavily distorted guitars and I absolutely hated the results. The hyped high end just ruined things.

You might wanna look in to a pair of MXL 603s from Oktavamod. They are supposed to be quite impressive for what they are.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree with tINY that the AT 4041's are a good general use SDC. Great on my Martin Dread and a very good stereo pair. They sound full and have a gentle hi end that just sounds good. Similar to an SM81 but less "edgy" in the upper mids.

Got a pair on ebay for less than $350.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The AKG SE391b could be fine too, quite accurate...
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 on the Oktavas
+1 on the NT5 as terrible in matching pairs. The ones I used to work with were about 5 dB from each other.dfegad
Old 17th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I just got my nt5 pair from guitar center. they matched B&Hs email quote price of $319 which i think for what they are is a steal. plus i got a 50 dollar gift card for spending over 350 with tax and some cable ties so basically i got it for 300 tax free. Definitely recommend doing that since youll pay for shipping from B&H. Not sure about this pairs specific matching, ive used a pair before and loved them on acoustic guitars. I figure with the 10 year warranty if I find they dont match i can get a replacement. What have you guys done when they didnt match?
📝 Reply