Quantcast
Digital Reference Mics.. Are they any good? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Reference Mics.. Are they any good?
Old 5th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Digital Reference Mics.. Are they any good?

Whats up guys..
A buddy of mine is opening a low budget studio at home.. and was checking out the Digital Reference 7 Piece Drum-Kit.. Guitar Center has it right now for $99 on sale.. is it worth it.. for a starter kit.. or is he out of luck..
Looks like a cheaper Audio Technica sub-company thing or something..
Any one let me know..
Thanks and God Bless..
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Digital Reference mics are like cheap AT mics I believe.

I have the older version of the DR drum mic set, but only the 4 mic one with three snare/tom mics and the kick mic. For reference, I got it for $20 (!) at GC on their annual Memorial Day sale.

The mics are certainly usable. I have gotten a decent bass drum and bass cab sound from the bigger mic. The other 3 mics I've used various times on various things and they were equally "decent." Nothing stood out as terribly bad or terribly good, so basically they are okay.

The condensers they include are probably junk, but what do you expect for $99? The set will probably work fine for now and later will be good extra mics for things. As I understand the bass drum mic makes a really good low tom mic under that tom, but I've never tried it.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
He was focused into it as a starter kit.. It looks like its going to be ok.. For the pencil mics he has a pair already.. I think.. SE 1-A's.. so maybe he just needs the 4 drum-kit cause he has a 57 too for the snare.. so it would be kick and toms only.. Does that sound good?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
on a budget, they can definitely work since you could go up to ten times higher than the cost of these mics. i would say grab these and get recording

have him try a demo of drumagog as well. he might like it
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
He's been working with some drum plugs.. and he likes a few out there.. but he is getting a hand-down drum kit.. and wants some mics to record.. hopefully these are worth it..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensonix Studios ➑️
He's been working with some drum plugs.. and he likes a few out there.. but he is getting a hand-down drum kit.. and wants some mics to record.. hopefully these are worth it..

they're a good start. and they will help him to learn about EQ and room sound.
πŸ“ Reply