Quantcast
Digi 003 or m-audio 2626 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 003 or m-audio 2626
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Digi 003 or m-audio 2626

I know this has been done to death but I just cant make my mind up...
I am pretty broke so I had to sell my 003 and mic's and preamps a while back and have been useing a mbox1 to lay down ideas...BUT...I want to start recording again and I cant really afford the 003 but If It is nessacary I can get it...but I have been looking at the 2626 and need help making up my mind...I cant afford to buy somthing Ill regret....thats why I am asking you guy's....I need your input..It is actully keeping me up at night, Im a gearslut at heart and want to make the right choice....THANK you all very much for helping me out with a over asked question...you alll have always been helpful!!!!

Thanks again!!!
Old 4th February 2009
AND
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Get the Digi 003r, It will blow the M-Audio 2626 out of the water!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AND ➑️
Devil's Advocate says:
Get the 2626, It will blow the 003 out of the water!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
? Why? I'm leaning towards the 2626 being better. By a long shot.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obitheincredible ➑️
? Why? I'm leaning towards the 2626 being better. By a long shot.
I'll second that
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
Devil's Advocate says:
Get the 2626, It will blow the 003 out of the water!
In all seriousness, my understanding is that...

1.) The 2626 has superior AD/DA conversion (whether it's a lot or a little I do not know, but every little bit counts).

2.) The 2626 has more preamps, and better quality preamps.

3.) The 2626 has more IO, and can be used as a standalone AD/DA converter and preamp unit. Versatility is sweet, as you'll never use the 2626 as a paperweight, or be forced to sell it for 50 bucks on ebay in a few years.

4.) This is purely opinion, but I'm a much bigger fan of the M-Powered way of things. Being able to pick and choose your interface amongst a LOT of options, and also seeing how M-Audio continues to improve their products and develop new stuff. M-Audio interfaces also play much nicer with your OS and other applications.

5.) And don't let anyone chime in with the nonesense about M-Audio's drivers being unstable or sketchy. They may have been back in the day, I have no idea. But I've owned both a Firewire 410 and currently an 1814 and they've been rock solid. Seriously, I had WAY more issues with digi hardware in my lifetime. And the ProFire stuff is supposedly even more stable... so this is not and should not be an issue. M-Audio driver's are in the plus column IMO.

I used to use LE, and after carefully weighing the pros and cons, I switched over to MP when I moved from Pro Tools 6.4 to 7.x. I've had absolutely no regrets about doing so.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In all seriousness, my understanding is that...

1.) The 2626 has superior AD/DA conversion (whether it's a lot or a little I do not know, but every little bit counts).

2.) The 2626 has more preamps, and better quality preamps.

3.) The 2626 has more IO, and can be used as a standalone AD/DA converter and preamp unit. Versatility is sweet, as you'll never use the 2626 as a paperweight, or be forced to sell it for 50 bucks on ebay in a few years.

4.) This is purely opinion, but I'm a much bigger fan of the M-Powered way of things. Being able to pick and choose your interface amongst a LOT of options, and also seeing how M-Audio continues to improve their products and develop new stuff. M-Audio interfaces also play much nicer with your OS and other applications.

5.) And don't let anyone chime in with the nonesense about M-Audio's drivers being unstable or sketchy. They may have been back in the day, I have no idea. But I've owned both a Firewire 410 and currently an 1814 and they've been rock solid. Seriously, I had WAY more issues with digi hardware in my lifetime. And the ProFire stuff is supposedly even more stable... so this is not and should not be an issue. M-Audio driver's are in the plus column IMO.

I used to use LE, and after carefully weighing the pros and cons, I switched over to MP when I moved from Pro Tools 6.4 to 7.x. I've had absolutely no regrets about doing so.
agree 100%
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

search & listen the gearshoot outs, digi003 vs. 2626 vs. ua2192, etc...

i would get:
m-audio profire 2626 in stand alone mode
+
lucid genx192 or better
+
99.997% OFC cables
+
lynx aes16 + ls-adat
o
rme AIO or rme hdsp9632
or
sonic core 14-dsp
+
audix cx-112
+
sonar 8pe
+
millenia media hv-3
or
john hardy m-1
or
amek cib
or
neve 1073
or
spl gold mic mk2
or
or
or
or
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am really leaning towards the 2626....

How do you all feel about PT m-powered...I know about the few things it cant do..But I am so used to PT.....Thanks to everyone the chimed in....

Well I ahve till next wed. to make up my mind....So you all think the 2626 is better...well thats good to hear...I was hoping it wasnt a lot worse than the 003...cuz it is so much cheaper...
AND
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️

How do you all feel about PT m-powered...I know about the few things it cant do..But I am so used to PT.....Thanks to everyone the chimed in....

Well I ahve till next wed. to make up my mind....So you all think the 2626 is better...well thats good to hear...I was hoping it wasnt a lot worse than the 003...cuz it is so much cheaper...
Dude..your making a mistake with the 2626, PT mpowered sucks ass, and you cant beat the digi 003...I think the preamps in the 003 are good...but the 2626 pre's are like having a bluetube..

Just get the 003 and be happy, maudio has always been junk!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i prefer rme fireface way better. greetz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dude..your making a mistake with the 2626, PT mpowered sucks ass, and you cant beat the digi 003...I think the preamps in the 003 are good...but the 2626 pre's are like having a bluetube..

Do you own a 003 and a profire 2626?

Anyways, I would point you towards an N12 if you are starting poor. Good onboard effects, gets you a real fun board, way better preamps and conversion than both, can be used as effects buses, built-in control room with talkback, real nice faders (which you can not use to automate, but you can run groups through them and actually ride faders LIVE!), awesome tech support, the list goes on and on... I was looking at the profire till I found this. And I'd say it beats the fireface. If you want a rack version, the MR816 is the same thing except no faders and the dsp is used for plugins instead of on a board. Have fun! (Note: you wouldn't be able to use protools... but that just cuts costs since both of these come with cubase AI4, though you can use Reaper with them too!).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
Do you own a 003 and a profire 2626?

Anyways, I would point you towards an N12 if you are starting poor. Good onboard effects, gets you a real fun board, way better preamps and conversion than both, can be used as effects buses, built-in control room with talkback, real nice faders (which you can not use to automate, but you can run groups through them and actually ride faders LIVE!), awesome tech support, the list goes on and on... I was looking at the profire till I found this. And I'd say it beats the fireface. If you want a rack version, the MR816 is the same thing except no faders and the dsp is used for plugins instead of on a board. Have fun! (Note: you wouldn't be able to use protools... but that just cuts costs since both of these come with cubase AI4, though you can use Reaper with them too!).
I tought about that at first and thought that it would be to weird having a board that dont move...I have a BHRINGER bcf2000 that I used with my old 003 and it worked great!!!!

PS...Are the preamps and converters really that much better?

That would be great!!

Hummm...I may still give it another look!!!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

OK folks, we have a new idiot on board. Let's welcome him properly!

Only 2 posts and he's screaming that the 2626 sux, but offers no reasons why or even the fact that he's probably never even seen or heard one in person. Also the fact that he's bragging on a 003 says a lot to start "you cant beat the digi 003". He's knocking M-Powered which the only difference I've really found is no POW-R dither and slightly higher buffers, no big deal. Anyhow I haven't noticed whether his posts are made after the middle school gets out or if he just played hooky today.

Welcome aboard! dfegad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Ignore this post as this dude is a troll or an idiot or both. lol.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

What is it that you think MP can't do? It's awesome. It's LE, but with a red logo.

The only major difference is you can't use the Video Production Toolkit or whatever. Do you want the Video Production Toolkit?!

M-Powered rules dude.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was wondering the same thing... what are the things you know M Powered can't do?

The only thing I know of is my DV Toolkit doesn't work with it. Otherwise I love it to death...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
get the 2626 end of discussion i just ordered mine yesterday. i read a lot and 003 seems good but costs twice as much. i know where you can get it for 600. hit me.

please dont keep askin the same questions is the converters or pres way better. cause you cant expect to rape them for 600 lol. their rep told me its just as good. so be happy with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've heard 2000000 times that the profire 2626 is better in every aspect. This has been beat to death, there is no more fighting chance for the 003.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you are the only person, or studio, that works on your projects, then the 2626 is a very nice choice. It allows you to use all outboard converters of your choice, record at higher sample rates when clocked to outside equipment, and has 8 preamps that can be completely bypassed. That allows for a lot of growth. The 003 has an edge in that the PTLE files always play nicely with HD equipped studios. M powered sessions will work, yes, but they often times do not load up correctly (I've seen this myself on quite a few occasions - mostly due to users), and at $60/hr and up, it is not cool to waste time on lining things up. If you have work that you will be taking to other studios get the 003. If you plan to record all your stuff yourself, and CLA, JJP, etc. won't be mixing it, it seems the 2626 has more advantages.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
M-Powered is working perfect here, with no problems.

Like casey_outlaw says you can have prob's with studio's who are running HD, but I never had problems with that.

You have more possibility’s on hardware with M-Powered, you have more audio interface options to choose from.

I'm here on a SSL alphalink, that's no match for a 003 heh heh.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_outlaw ➑️
The 003 has an edge in that the PTLE files always play nicely with HD equipped studios. M powered sessions will work, yes, but they often times do not load up correctly (I've seen this myself on quite a few occasions - mostly due to users), and at $60/hr and up, it is not cool to waste time on lining things up. If you have work that you will be taking to other studios get the 003. If you plan to record all your stuff yourself, and CLA, JJP, etc. won't be mixing it, it seems the 2626 has more advantages.
I have never in my life seen any problems loading an MP session into LE or into HD (back in the 5.x days, maybe, but not these days). I frequently share sessions this way and have no trouble. Most times I'm also going MP PC to LE Mac or HD Mac. And still no problems.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What is it that you think MP can't do? It's awesome. It's LE, but with a red logo.

The only major difference is you can't use the Video Production Toolkit or whatever. Do you want the Video Production Toolkit?!

M-Powered rules dude.
I had read there were problems..but what you just stated "you can't use the Video Production Toolkit "...that is what I was talking about..I just did not remember....and NO...that would not effect me....will the MPT work with it...If so...I will be going with it...thank you all very much and sorry to waste SOME of your guy's time......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey_outlaw ➑️
If you are the only person, or studio, that works on your projects, then the 2626 is a very nice choice. It allows you to use all outboard converters of your choice, record at higher sample rates when clocked to outside equipment, and has 8 preamps that can be completely bypassed. That allows for a lot of growth. The 003 has an edge in that the PTLE files always play nicely with HD equipped studios. M powered sessions will work, yes, but they often times do not load up correctly (I've seen this myself on quite a few occasions - mostly due to users), and at $60/hr and up, it is not cool to waste time on lining things up. If you have work that you will be taking to other studios get the 003. If you plan to record all your stuff yourself, and CLA, JJP, etc. won't be mixing it, it seems the 2626 has more advantages.
Thank you....Yes I will be doing everything except Mastering...so It dont matter...thanks again!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I had read there were problems..but what you just stated "you can't use the Video Production Toolkit "...that is what I was talking about..I just did not remember....and NO...that would not effect me....will the MPT work with it...If so...I will be going with it...thank you all very much and sorry to waste SOME of your guy's time......
The Music Production Toolkit works with M-Powered.

Another reason why I like M-Powered is... If I wanted to (and I might at some point), put M-Powered on a laptop as well as my desktop, I could do it. And I could get M-Audio's $99 Fast Track USB device for my interface. This even gives me a pre to work with. Say I'm in a hotel room, and I want to throw down a scratch track for a melody vocal or whatever, I can do it. Just pack your laptop, Fast Track, and a your iLok, and you're good to go.

For $99, you have yourself on "on the road" solution. the cheapest way for a portable solution on LE is to buy their MBox micro for $249. And that gives you no way to record anything, it's purely for mixing/editing and nothing else.

I just like the freedom you end up getting with M-Powered. Freedom to adapt easily and cheaply to your own needs. And the fact that the 2626 is widely accepted to be superior to everything about the 003, there's not even a trade off or compromise. It's a win-win-win my friend.

In interest of FULL disclosure, the ONE thing about M-Powered that is slightly annoying is your lowest buffer setting is 128. They have allowed LE to go to 64. It's not annoying in a usage sense, only in that I know that LE guy over there is able to get to a lower buffer setting than I am, and it just makes me wanna make fun of his 003 with it's mushroom looking knobs.

Now, one thing to keep in mind, is that LE was 128 for the longest time, and it never bothered me. But having the 64 latency option would be nice, but it's definitely not a deal breaker. The advantages far outweigh that one thing, but I thought you might want the whole true and nothing but the truth. (And note, that in the Digi's documentation, I believe is says M-Powered can do 64. But it is now considered a misprint, or old information. I think they had originally planned to have MP go down to 64, but eventually decided to not, or weren't able to, make it happen).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Music Production Toolkit works with M-Powered.

Another reason why I like M-Powered is... If I wanted to (and I might at some point), put M-Powered on a laptop as well as my desktop, I could do it. And I could get M-Audio's $99 Fast Track USB device for my interface. This even gives me a pre to work with. Say I'm in a hotel room, and I want to throw down a scratch track for a melody vocal or whatever, I can do it. Just pack your laptop, Fast Track, and a your iLok, and you're good to go.

For $99, you have yourself on "on the road" solution. the cheapest way for a portable solution on LE is to buy their MBox micro for $249. And that gives you no way to record anything, it's purely for mixing/editing and nothing else.

I just like the freedom you end up getting with M-Powered. Freedom to adapt easily and cheaply to your own needs. And the fact that the 2626 is widely accepted to be superior to everything about the 003, there's not even a trade off or compromise. It's a win-win-win my friend.

In interest of FULL disclosure, the ONE thing about M-Powered that is slightly annoying is your lowest buffer setting is 128. They have allowed LE to go to 64. It's not annoying in a usage sense, only in that I know that LE guy over there is able to get to a lower buffer setting than I am, and it just makes me wanna make fun of his 003 with it's mushroom looking knobs.

Now, one thing to keep in mind, is that LE was 128 for the longest time, and it never bothered me. But having the 64 latency option would be nice, but it's definitely not a deal breaker. The advantages far outweigh that one thing, but I thought you might want the whole true and nothing but the truth. (And note, that in the Digi's documentation, I believe is says M-Powered can do 64. But it is now considered a misprint, or old information. I think they had originally planned to have MP go down to 64, but eventually decided to not, or weren't able to, make it happen).

Great info. Thanks man ..I do appreciate it alot...Like I said I used to have the 003...I dont think the buffer will bother me..."Mushroom head" LMAO...that is dead on..

Well you have me sold on the 2626...sounds great, I will be useing American Music Supply's 3 monthly payments!!

Oh....Does it come with a version of Cubase...and is it any good!!!

I will most likely be useing PT but I still would like to know!!!

Thanks again...you have been very helpful..like I said I cant afford to get the wrong gear..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still with the M-Audio control panel, you can bypass the latency of PT and monitor with zero latency, and effects.

A buffer of 128 even at 44.1k should yield low enough latencies for the majority of people, and if not, 96k will half that figure again.

I will be getting a 2626 as soon as i can afford it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➑️
Still with the M-Audio control panel, you can bypass the latency of PT and monitor with zero latency, and effects.

A buffer of 128 even at 44.1k should yield low enough latencies for the majority of people, and if not, 96k will half that figure again.

I will be getting a 2626 as soon as i can afford it.
THATS the problem...I had a little m-audio 2 channel rig and I hated the mixer..I just hated it...I hope the 2626 mixefr is better..or atleast different....I wish it came without it!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
THATS the problem...I had a little m-audio 2 channel rig and I hated the mixer..I just hated it...I hope the 2626 mixefr is better..or atleast different....I wish it came without it!!!
It seems to me you can 'set it and forget it' in regards the the M-Audio software mixer. ... that is if you even have to set it at all.

I know with my 1814, I never had to touch any of the mixer settings. Whatever the default is works the way it should. The only thing I've ever had to touch in the M-Audio software is the digital in / out settings to work with my RME converter.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Great info. Thanks man ..I do appreciate it alot...Like I said I used to have the 003...I dont think the buffer will bother me..."Mushroom head" LMAO...that is dead on..

Well you have me sold on the 2626...sounds great, I will be useing American Music Supply's 3 monthly payments!!

Oh....Does it come with a version of Cubase...and is it any good!!!

I will most likely be useing PT but I still would like to know!!!

Thanks again...you have been very helpful..like I said I cant afford to get the wrong gear..
AMS Easy Payments RULE! That's all I've got to say.
πŸ“ Reply