Quantcast
Digi 003 or m-audio 2626 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 003 or m-audio 2626
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #61
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
I had a 002 rack & a 002 console.
I now have a 2626.
I think the 2626 sounds better.

my $.02
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHatGuy ➑️
Not to start any more 002 vs 2626 crap, but I just finished a session and a friend of mine brought over his 002 and his macbook. I A/B'd the 2 and the profire has the 002 beat by a long shot. The converters and the preamps both sounded better. We tested Guitars and drums and the 002 just souned a little thinner and a little more lifeless.
Great info. thank you...I think Wed. Im going to go for the 2626 and a sm7...will the pre's on the 2626 push that mic?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
Great info. thank you...I think Wed. Im going to go for the 2626 and a sm7...will the pre's on the 2626 push that mic?
Though the pres on the ProFire are generally thought to be pretty good, they still are under 60db of gain i'm pretty sure. Right around 55db i think. I would think this should be able to push the SM7b, especially with a moderate to loud source.

But others feel free to comment if you have the SM7b, because I do not.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
Though the pres on the ProFire are generally thought to be pretty good, they still are under 60db of gain i'm pretty sure. Right around 55db i think. I would think this should be able to push the SM7b, especially with a moderate to loud source.

But others feel free to comment if you have the SM7b, because I do not.
Maby I should wait on the mic then...I cant afford to get it and it dont work for sh*t!!!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Iggy Poop's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Although it's not my preamp of choice I have run my sm7b into a behringer ADA8000 which is 60db and had no level issues. I've also run it through an Aphex 107 which is 55db and had the level pretty much cranked but it produced a good track for me regardless. The sm7b seems to sound great through just about anything although it is definitely best through my ME-1NV. You can get away with 55db but its better with higher gain.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop ➑️
Although it's not my preamp of choice I have run my sm7b into a behringer ADA8000 which is 60db and had no level issues. I've also run it through an Aphex 107 which is 55db and had the level pretty much cranked but it produced a good track for me regardless. The sm7b seems to sound great through just about anything although it is definitely best through my ME-1NV. You can get away with 55db but its better with higher gain.
One day I will own a ME-1NV..I hope I will...just cant afford it now....By the way...I do have an old ART Tube PAC...I wounder if that will work!!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Any one know how the 2626 stands up against the Steinberg MR816 X...I need to use PT so I wount be going that way..but is the Steinberg MR816 X alot better than the 2626!!!...If it is WAY better, than maby I could learn to like Cubase!!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
skiltrip's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
Any one know how the 2626 stands up against the Steinberg MR816 X...I need to use PT so I wount be going that way..but is the Steinberg MR816 X alot better than the 2626!!!...If it is WAY better, than maby I could learn to like Cubase!!
My opinion is you should definitely be buying your interface to suit your taste in DAWs, not the other way around.

Meaning, interfaces come and go. Over the years you'll sell off the old and buy new improved interfaces all the time. But your DAW is something you get used to and you'd want to stick with. This again, is only my humble opinion.

Personally, I use Pro Tools, I like Pro Tools, and I'd never want to switch, regardless of what killer interface I could be using.

If you are considering switching DAWs, I'd still say get the 2626 (or 610), then you can use Pro Tools AND Cubase. Get used to one while you use the old familiar one, and share the interface. Does Cubase have a demo? I dunno. I know Sonar does. Maybe Cubase does too.

I should have my ProFire 610 on Thursday. So i'll post back and (hopefully) sing it's praises after I get a chance to put it thru the ringer (and compare it's AD/DA to my RME ADI-2).
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #69
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
002

Why not just buy a used 002r??? works wonders for me, and I paid less than 6 bills for it.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
My opinion is you should definitely be buying your interface to suit your taste in DAWs, not the other way around.

Meaning, interfaces come and go. Over the years you'll sell off the old and buy new improved interfaces all the time. But your DAW is something you get used to and you'd want to stick with. This again, is only my humble opinion.

Personally, I use Pro Tools, I like Pro Tools, and I'd never want to switch, regardless of what killer interface I could be using.

If you are considering switching DAWs, I'd still say get the 2626 (or 610), then you can use Pro Tools AND Cubase. Get used to one while you use the old familiar one, and share the interface. Does Cubase have a demo? I dunno. I know Sonar does. Maybe Cubase does too.

I should have my ProFire 610 on Thursday. So i'll post back and (hopefully) sing it's praises after I get a chance to put it thru the ringer (and compare it's AD/DA to my RME ADI-2).
PT is the only DAW I have ever used (8 years)...I have played around with cubase but after useing PT for so long nothing else compeates IMO... So I guess your right..Little differences are not worth changing programes!!
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
  #71
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denus ➑️
Why not just buy a used 002r??? works wonders for me, and I paid less than 6 bills for it.
Cuz I sold my 003 a few months ago (was broke) so I really dont want to downgrade!!! B8ut thanks for you input!!
Old 21st September 2009 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
DanRock101's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
GOOD FACTS FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW! Thanks!

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
The Music Production Toolkit works with M-Powered.

Another reason why I like M-Powered is... If I wanted to (and I might at some point), put M-Powered on a laptop as well as my desktop, I could do it. And I could get M-Audio's $99 Fast Track USB device for my interface. This even gives me a pre to work with. Say I'm in a hotel room, and I want to throw down a scratch track for a melody vocal or whatever, I can do it. Just pack your laptop, Fast Track, and a your iLok, and you're good to go.

For $99, you have yourself on "on the road" solution. the cheapest way for a portable solution on LE is to buy their MBox micro for $249. And that gives you no way to record anything, it's purely for mixing/editing and nothing else.

I just like the freedom you end up getting with M-Powered. Freedom to adapt easily and cheaply to your own needs. And the fact that the 2626 is widely accepted to be superior to everything about the 003, there's not even a trade off or compromise. It's a win-win-win my friend.

In interest of FULL disclosure, the ONE thing about M-Powered that is slightly annoying is your lowest buffer setting is 128. They have allowed LE to go to 64. It's not annoying in a usage sense, only in that I know that LE guy over there is able to get to a lower buffer setting than I am, and it just makes me wanna make fun of his 003 with it's mushroom looking knobs.

Now, one thing to keep in mind, is that LE was 128 for the longest time, and it never bothered me. But having the 64 latency option would be nice, but it's definitely not a deal breaker. The advantages far outweigh that one thing, but I thought you might want the whole true and nothing but the truth. (And note, that in the Digi's documentation, I believe is says M-Powered can do 64. But it is now considered a misprint, or old information. I think they had originally planned to have MP go down to 64, but eventually decided to not, or weren't able to, make it happen).
Old 22nd September 2009 | Show parent
  #73
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
The Music Production Toolkit works with M-Powered.


For $99, you have yourself on "on the road" solution. the cheapest way for a portable solution on LE is to buy their MBox micro for $249. And that gives you no way to record anything, it's purely for mixing/editing and nothing else.


Now, one thing to keep in mind, is that LE was 128 for the longest time, and it never bothered me. But having the 64 latency option would be nice, but it's definitely not a deal breaker. The advantages far outweigh that one thing, but I thought you might want the whole true and nothing but the truth. (And note, that in the Digi's documentation, I believe is says M-Powered can do 64. But it is now considered a misprint, or old information. I think they had originally planned to have MP go down to 64, but eventually decided to not, or weren't able to, make it happen).
Why is Digidesign continuing to do penny ante stuff like this? They release a beautiful product in PT8, and very few people who are in the LE/MP marketplace are ever personally going to buy an HD solution unless they are moving to that level as their career progresses. What is does is make people question whether they want to use PT at all.

Toyota would rather have an 18 year old buy a low margin product like the Yaris because in 6 years they are more likely to buy a Camry, and 6 years after that they may buy a Lexis.

Building brand loyalty is a long term investment.

Is Digidesign just making so much money hand over fist that they can basically give an arbitrary finger to people who pay for their products? Why not just give people more compelling choices?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615126
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 32213
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 39062
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181618
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump