Gear Head

🎧 10 years
why not go for the profire 610?

its less I/O

but if $$$ is your problem, you get the updated
a/d conversion, and mixer + driver software as the profire
2626 and PT-MP compatibility for less $$$

personally, i have the 2626 and its been great for my
personal use so far (tracking 2-4 mics at a time)..

gonna get a workout next week with a 6 piece band
which will probably use all 8 mic inputs.. the routing options
available via the m-audio mixer is really nice... that on top
of PTMP and im a happy camper.

i only wish i had more ram capacity in my iMac!
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I have been using the 2626 for about month now, and so far it has been pretty good to me. I have held off on purchasing PTMP for now and have actually been working in Reaper (which started out as a mere test and slowly grew into a surprisingly pleasurable experience). I have used the 002 and 003 extensively in my previous projects, and I must say, the 2626 really does blow it out of the water.

My only gripe so far is that I wish they would allow the headphone output volume to be independent of the master volume knob. I can't turn down my monitors without turning down the headphone volume too. I guess I just need to splurge for a Mackie Big Knob or something.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
get zzsounds to do it for 4 payments. and i got the price 599.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHatGuy ➑️
My only gripe so far is that I wish they would allow the headphone output volume to be independent of the master volume knob. I can't turn down my monitors without turning down the headphone volume too. I guess I just need to splurge for a Mackie Big Knob or something.
You can fix that...go to settings, turn off the "master volume control" on 1/2 and 3/4, then make 5/6 the main outs for your speakers (and move your monitor runs from 1/2 to 5/6 on the back). This way you will have independent control of your headphone outs as well as the master control will still be applied towards your speakers.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
Oh....Does it come with a version of Cubase...and is it any good!!!

I will most likely be useing PT but I still would like to know!!!
No Cubase, comes with Live Lite 6 or 7 or whatever. Got my M-powered from Unique Squared for $215, that's the way to go.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
In interest of FULL disclosure, the ONE thing about M-Powered that is slightly annoying is your lowest buffer setting is 128. They have allowed LE to go to 64.
Actually it's 32 with PT8. I run my 002 at 32 and with the specs of my machine it can handle it fine.

Having said that, Im sure the 2626 is a better interface. Plus the 128 buffer isn't a huge issue as it has onboard DSP to allow zero latency (almost) monitoring anyway, so unless you need to track through plugs it's win win.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz ➑️
get zzsounds to do it for 4 payments. and i got the price 599.
I did not know they did that..cool
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➑️
No Cubase, comes with Live Lite 6 or 7 or whatever. Got my M-powered from Unique Squared for $215, that's the way to go.
OK...I have cubase sx3...and m-powerd 7.4...I have had no luck playing around with live...I got like 5 cd's that came with gear I have bought..and no matter what LITE cd I install...as soon as I start it up the first time it crashes...I have installed it over and over again and it keeps crashing!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarbc1 ➑️
why not go for the profire 610?

its less I/O

but if $$$ is your problem, you get the updated
a/d conversion, and mixer + driver software as the profire
2626 and PT-MP compatibility for less $$$

personally, i have the 2626 and its been great for my
personal use so far (tracking 2-4 mics at a time)..

gonna get a workout next week with a 6 piece band
which will probably use all 8 mic inputs.. the routing options
available via the m-audio mixer is really nice... that on top
of PTMP and im a happy camper.

i only wish i had more ram capacity in my iMac!
so you are saying that the profire 610 is the same all around as the 2626 except for i/o...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip ➑️
AMS Easy Payments RULE! That's all I've got to say.
come on man..if im making a bad move please tell me....
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersedge1234 ➑️
You can fix that...go to settings, turn off the "master volume control" on 1/2 and 3/4, then make 5/6 the main outs for your speakers (and move your monitor runs from 1/2 to 5/6 on the back). This way you will have independent control of your headphone outs as well as the master control will still be applied towards your speakers.
I have it currently set up that way...so I am not sure why things arent working like they should. I will have to spend some time before my sessions tomorrow trying to figure it out. I have been thrown in to immediately tracking with the thing since I got it, so I havent had much time to troubleshoot the problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict ➑️
come on man..if im making a bad move please tell me....
No, I mean it. I just meant I use AMS all the time with EZpayments.

And, yes the 610 is everything the 2626 is pretty much with less IO. So if you never need to track a fully mic'd drum kit, and you are more or less a project studio... the 610 is an excellent choice. some sellers, like Novamusik sell it on Ebay for $349.

M-Audio Profire 610 Firewire Audio Interface Maudio New - eBay (item 250368597161 end time Feb-14-09 16:33:53 PST)

Nova Musik is real good place to buy from too. I got my 1814 from them. It was like $100 cheaper than most and they sent me a free t-shirt too.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
only reason i got 2626 cause it sits on a rack. i hate separate units. it takes up more space or i would of bought a 610
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After all this Profire talk, I decided to stop talking and finally get a ProFire of my own, so I ordered a 610 and put my 1814 on Ebay. Can't wait!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi ➑️
Actually it's 32 with PT8. I run my 002 at 32 and with the specs of my machine it can handle it fine.

Having said that, Im sure the 2626 is a better interface. Plus the 128 buffer isn't a huge issue as it has onboard DSP to allow zero latency (almost) monitoring anyway, so unless you need to track through plugs it's win win.
actually, it's been 32 since 7.4, if not earlier. 64 samples is ok, 128 I might be a deal-breaker though- I can certainly feel the latency then (esp when added to converter latency). Ridiculous to limit it to this, there doesn't appear to be a technical region why.

As for using M-powered on a laptop - you could do the same thing for a similar price with LE, and an Mbox mini or micro.

LE I feel is a slightly more "pro" - just because of all the options people have discussed above, but I suspect for the OP M-powered might be the right choice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't speak for the 003, but the 002 is a better sounding device than the M-Audio 2626.

I am finding it hard to accept that even Digi would update a product and make it worst.

Is is fashionable to slate Digi at the moment?
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqueezer ➑️
I can't speak for the 003, but the 002 is a better sounding device than the M-Audio 2626.

I am finding it hard to accept that even Digi would update a product and make it worst.

Is is fashionable to slate Digi at the moment?
are you just sayin that cause you own a crappy 002? and somehow you feel like u have to down a good product to justify your purchase? sorry i just couldnt agree with your statement. dont mislead peoplee stike
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
are you just sayin that cause you own a crappy 002? and somehow you feel like u have to down a good product to justify your purchase? sorry i just couldnt agree with your statement. dont mislead people stike
lol

I have A/B them.

You can't expect me to take you seriously endorsing M-Audio?

After owning 4 of their products I stay clear now.

Build, Sound and support are poor in my experience. And to me my experience isn't going to get brushed aside for your views. I added my view to the thread.

So the 002 is crap hey? OK

Your really making me want to respect your views. NOT
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol

I have A/B them.

You can't expect me to take you seriously endorsing M-Audio?

After owning 4 of their products I stay clear now.

Build, Sound and support are poor in my experience. And to me my experience isn't going to get brushed aside for your views. I added my view to the thread. So the 002 is crap hey? OK
you maybe right about m-audio other stuff bein crap (dont know, i never owned one) but so far, i have read nothing but postive online reviews from pros on the new 2626. ur like the first person saying 002 is better. and i never once read anything positive about 002 except maybe you

im not endorsing m-audio and i dont really care about them. all i care bout is that its compitable with prootools. and i think for 600 its not a bad deal at all while payin twice for 003.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i did hear that the old m-audio stuff was crap (dont know never owned one) but read nothing but postive reviews on the new 2626. ur like the first person saying 002 is better. the online reviews on the product cant be all wrong. i read many on 2626 and on 002. and i never once read anything positive about 002 except maybe you
First of all I said the 002 sounds better. This is a subjective of course. BUT I never said it was better. Its not better value, that's for sure.

Depends what you choose to read though. If it is just this forum then that may be the case. I haven't read any bad reviews of either product myself. I don't include forums under the umbrella of reviews, a personal choice.

But hey you must be right because so many people agree with you.

Have you had the 2 units side by side? Have you heard them through a decent monitoring chain in a well treated room?

I'll repeat this just so there is no confusion. To my ears the 002 sounds better. Cost and features don't come into that aspect.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik ➑️
well prove it. i am intersted to hear some audio. put your results online if ur right ill return my 2626 in a heartbeat.

from what i heard that 002 pres were the crappiest and worsh than mbox2 which are decent. and 2626 is suppose to be just as good soundwise to the 003. and people are comparin the sound to rme.

if ur so much of a professional who gota well treated room to compare the sound quality. then why are you even using a 002 product? wouldnt that make u an amature. why dont u have prootools HD?
I did not say I am a professional!!!! The room was not mine. Neither of the units were mine.

Do you think I am going to go out and buy these items and test them for you? Now your taking the piss. I gave an opinion on something that is subjective. That is it. Nothing more.

I can see this thread deteriorating rapidly. How dare I exercise my freedom to express my views on something. I should have known better really. I have seen this herd mentality on here before. Its a real shame.

Have you tried both units? Please tell me you have, it would really offend me if you have made the comments you have and yet haven't even tried them both.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You dont even own either unit. End of discussion. No use in going back n forth. peace
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I can see this thread deteriorating rapidly. .
This thread was fine until this exchange started. Not saying who started it because I don't care. But it's safe to say the last few exchanges are of NO help to the original poster. So let's wrap up this little mini-war if we can. Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You dont even own either unit. End of discussion. No use in going back n forth. peace

I don't need to own them to have used them. Thats such a cop out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
COPOUT?

Im not looking to pick a fight here, but thats just ridiculous.

In my assumption no it is not a copout. I feel the ONLY people who should say anything about gear are the owners or previous owners. IMO Its only if you've sat down with the piece of gear and used it tracking that you begin to hear its sound. If you don't even own a 002 or a 2626, than your opinion here is useless to the rest of us. Frankly, I am tired of "reviews" from people who don't even own a peice of gear in question. That to me is utter rubbish, and is the main downfall of forums like gearslutz. Its disinformation and "subjective" reasoning like that which makes people buy the wrong gear.

And regards to the earlier comment about professionals using LE/ MP systems. I along with many of my colleagues use LE/MP systems everyday and make decent money with them. Therefore we are working professionals. HD is a choice based off of needs, not a deciding factor of one's professionalism.

Back the to topic:

I'd really like to hear full mixes made by the 2626. This is the only thing thats stopping me from ordering one right now actually.

Is there anyone whose made a song with only the 2626, pres and conversion only?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
^ Agreed 100%. Dont come in knocking a product specially when you dont own it.

im interested to hear some shootouts too. someone did it a while back but the links not valid no more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been using a 002 off and on for several years. I don't own it though. I have been using NS10ms and ATC's for the last 5 years, I don't own them so that's not good enough for you? Sorry but this is getting crazy.

The 002 is ****. M-audio make far better products.

There you go. I'm out. This is just too ridiculous to waste time with.

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have been using a 002 off and on for several years. I don't own it though. I have been using NS10ms and ATC's for the last 5 years, I don't own them so that's not good enough for you? Sorry but this is getting crazy.

The 002 is ****. M-audio make far better products.

There you go. I'm out. This is just too ridiculous to waste time with.

Dude youre makin excuses what you used or didnt use now and dont own the product. i dont care about m-audio or digidesign. all im saying is own a gear and then talk ****. i been done with this conversation but you keep coming back with your little slick comments but whateva!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK...I am the OP..and I was set on the 2626..nut now this CLOWN has me thinking about it....NOW.....I have read a few post that say the 2626 has slightly better converters than the oo3, and better preamps...IS THAT TRUE...

Thanks again guys for helping me out....I am not looking for GEAR BASHING...I OWNED the 003 befor so lets leave the 002 out of this!!!
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Cool

Not to start any more 002 vs 2626 crap, but I just finished a session and a friend of mine brought over his 002 and his macbook. I A/B'd the 2 and the profire has the 002 beat by a long shot. The converters and the preamps both sounded better. We tested Guitars and drums and the 002 just souned a little thinner and a little more lifeless.
πŸ“ Reply