Quantcast
So I'm getting some money in finally. What do I spend it on? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So I'm getting some money in finally. What do I spend it on?
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So I'm getting some money in finally. What do I spend it on?

So I already have acoustic foam, I like my monitor speakers.

Things I want to improve

Leads
Pre Amps
Soundcard
Microphones

In that order mainly. I'm getting Β£40 a week, not much I know, but it's still something; wondering what I could spend it on, I will have around 600 in 2 weeks (backpayment cos I haven't been paid because of the recession etc), so I want to know where to get the best deals an mics.

Also, does anyone know where I can hold of some noise cancelling cables, the ones with the transistor in the middle? Do monster cables make them. Oh, and where can I buy MC in the UK?

Many thanks
Mike
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ditch the foam and get some broadband absorbers/bass traps, especially if you're in a small room.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you really get your room under control (and the agreed consensus here is that broadband absorbers and bass traps are the only way to truly change your room acoustics) the best people here tend to suggest working from the mic on in making improvements.

You can't enhance what you don't capture.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Leads are a big must at the moment (mine all busted on the same day about a week ago )

Anyway, yea, I'm going for a mic, but haven't a clue which one to snap up
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH ➑️
Leads are a big must at the moment (mine all busted on the same day about a week ago )

Anyway, yea, I'm going for a mic, but haven't a clue which one to snap up
Kel Audio HM-7U, it's a great sounding microphone.

Welcome to KEL Audio -- Sonic Alternatives for Recording Musicians
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm trying to go a little more high end than those mics to be honest, somewhere around the price of the C414, TLM 103, AT4050 etc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm trying to go a little more high end than those mics to be honest, somewhere around the price of the C414, TLM 103, AT4050 etc
Price doesn't always match quality. In fact, good quantity of different mics can be more helpful because it's always better to use the right mic instead of the more expensive. I'd say get a pair of naiants under your belt, get an sm7, re20, MD421, and pair of SDCs before you move on to get a really expensive mic. The Kel is a good mic to add in there too, and I would put some CAD M179's too. Choice is better than price if you ask me.

Though I would recommend getting acoustics down first (that means, not foam, get some fluffy fiberglass to make corner traps and other cheap traps and 703 for the hard to hang places) and getting either a Profire2626 if you want to stay Protools or an N12 to move up on the conversion and preamps. Then for preamps I'd suggest you'd just get a Great River and you'd have a really awesome stereo channel for overdubbing (plus enough channels for a full drum kit).
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm only a solo artist recording in his bedroom, pop rock demos he wants to sound as good as they can in the room he's in (attic with those /-\ shaped roofs) and on a fairly limited budget.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
buy a roll of cable and get soldering.

if you dont have decent cables nothing works so dont get discouraged about doing it right from the start.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie ➑️
buy a roll of cable and get soldering.

if you dont have decent cables nothing works so dont get discouraged about doing it right from the start.
amen, to that!

rich
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I just bought 5 sets of shielded cables from the store down the road. So that's the cable problems sorted. Now it's down to me finding the right mic. I was going to go with the AKG C214, but..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well, you already have 3 LCDs. "For only a solo artist recording in his bedroom, pop rock demos" thats more than enough.

A pair of Small Diaphram condensers for stereo recording would make more sense than another LCD.

Or maybe get a dynamic mic: sm7, re20, M201, 421, 441
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'll sell you my HM-7U for a grand if that'll make you feel better.

Like mentioned, price don't mean sh!t. As a matter of fact, I've seen a helluva lot more negative things said about the 103 than cheaper alternatives. (SM7B ring a bell?)

But I'll go out on a limb, I'd say go after a nice high end pre.
I think for a bedroom, or little project studio, it's good to have one nice two channel high end pre. (I'd be getting more if I had the cash)

A new mic won't make you're pre amps sound any better, but a high end pre can help out the sound of your mics.

You've been on the forums so I won't go through the typical candidates, but I'd say save up for a nice pre. And if you do want a mic, the Kel Audio HM-7U is a cheap and nice sounding mic. I just got mine this week and ran it through my GTQ, and I was liking what I heard (only messed with it for a couple minutes though). I haven't gotten to spend some quality time with it though, but this weekend I'ma get busy in putting it through the trenches.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Save your money for another day.

What you have is fine , what you need is time. Time to practice and get better at using that gear. This is sound advice for everyone , especially during a recession.

How about using the money to work one day less a week , for the next month. You can write some songs and record them during your 3-day weekends.

Thomas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 on the SM7. you will find a use for it every session.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid ➑️
I'll sell you my HM-7U for a grand if that'll make you feel better.

Like mentioned, price don't mean sh!t. As a matter of fact, I've seen a helluva lot more negative things said about the 103 than cheaper alternatives. (SM7B ring a bell?)

But I'll go out on a limb, I'd say go after a nice high end pre.
I think for a bedroom, or little project studio, it's good to have one nice two channel high end pre. (I'd be getting more if I had the cash)

A new mic won't make you're pre amps sound any better, but a high end pre can help out the sound of your mics.

You've been on the forums so I won't go through the typical candidates, but I'd say save up for a nice pre. And if you do want a mic, the Kel Audio HM-7U is a cheap and nice sounding mic. I just got mine this week and ran it through my GTQ, and I was liking what I heard (only messed with it for a couple minutes though). I haven't gotten to spend some quality time with it though, but this weekend I'ma get busy in putting it through the trenches.
And get great conversion with it. API A2D? I think that's the home studio magic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're on m-powered I guess its not what you need, but you'd get better converters with a TC konnekt 24D, for instance.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Barely use M-Powered, only for using some plugs mainly

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakened ➑️
+1 on the SM7. you will find a use for it every session.
I'd go with that...great rock vocal mic.

Also...you can never have too much room treatment.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ye haha, room treatment for the win

I only have foam and bass traps at the moment, but because I'm recording in my bedroom sound treatment and sound proofing is of no real value to me, cos no matter what happens, if anyones talking a tad too loud downstairs I have to restart the take again, treatment or no treatment
πŸ“ Reply