fireface 800 & Logic Vs 003 & LE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
fireface 800 & Logic Vs 003 & LE
Old 4th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
fireface 800 & Logic Vs 003 & LE

Hey Guys,

I have been reading this forum pretty heavily over the last few months and I have been really split into 2 minds in what i should do.

I had originally been set on getting my studio based around 003 with outboard pres australian made sebatron's or many other great pres so that i can use pt 8 and if $$$ permitted grab an Aurora converter. I have been using a 001 with 6.4 for 5 years or so so am very used to it.

But after talking to some people around and ready on the forum i have another option which appeals to me -

RME Fireface 800 into Logic Pro 8 and mabey grab an octipre with adat card.

I just dont know how much difference there would be audibly and in using the programs.

I will be mostly recording everything. on occasion using drum kit from hell or similar to program drums. i also wouldnt mind branching out into midi world to try my had at composition.

Thanks guys

Mark
Old 4th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
rme is rock solid and i think you can hook up an aurora 8/16 to it as well.
another great think about rme is totalmix, best monitoring/routing software around.

003 only 1 set of adat ports i think.

If your used to pro tools why switch? most daws are the same these days anyway.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 99dc753
Here is my opinion.

So you should not trouble about the interface quality too much.
We did a shot out RME FF 400 against a brand which was 3 times the money and we all.... 3 enginners had the impression that he RME can compare to many High-End stuff.

And yes RME is rock solid I have mine since 4 years now and never had any trouble.

You should only go with Logic if you use a lot of MIDI data otherwise I see a little bit improvement for PT.
But at all you can do everything with both and in Sound it does not matter anything, because your converter will truncate it to 24 bits anyway.

You can switch via ADAT nearly everything to the RME converters.
All I can say I have seen it working great with PT converters.

May you can upgrade later when you did save some money to more RME I/O
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
get the RME and use something with auto delay compensation.

LE still lacks this.
Deleted User
For YOU: this option is the best IMO
"I had originally been set on getting my studio based around 003 with outboard pres australian made sebatron's or many other great pres so that i can use pt 8 and if $$$ permitted grab an Aurora converter. I have been using a 001 with 6.4 for 5 years or so so am very used to it."

003 with an AURORA 8 would be sweet.

MR HOLMES stated "You should only go with Logic if you use a lot of MIDI data otherwise I see a little bit improvement for PT"
I couldnt agree more.

If you LIKE Protools, then DONT switch your DAW, way stupid IMO. Your getting 48 tracks out of the box now BTW to start
As far as Automatic Delay Compensation it apparently hasnt bothered you not having it
If it does you can get the ATA plugin from Mellowmuse Software to fix that issue $49.
Besides that, LOGICs doesnt have it for external hardware, Cubase does though.

BTW, I have:
Protools LE 8.0
Logic Pro 8.02
Cubase 4.5.2

Stay with what works for YOU!!!. You can do pretty much what youll want to do with MIDI in Protools now. If you need more MIDI power in the future just pick up Logic Pro and run it with the DIGI Core Audio Driver though your DIGI interface. I run a DIGI 002 Rack here for Protools and a MOTU 828MKii for Logic and Cubase

PM me if you have ANY questions, glad to help
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
forgot to mention: the rme has better converters than the 003
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the help guys!

Sorry if this sounds stupid but is the auto delay compensation something which basically changes the buffer size so ther is no audable delay when tracking??

I just manually change it when i need to..... if thats what auto d.c does!

The main reason i was thinking of getting away from pro tools was for the higher quality conversion and pre's of the rme. I currently have a soundcraft fx16 mixing desk which i use as my pre's. how do they compare to rme??

Thanks

Mark
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The RME pres are not fantastic. They are usable, but certainly don't stack up to my Great River, Neve, or API stuff. They may be cleaner than your board pres, but that could be debatable.

If you are looking at switching to Logic 8, you may consider the Apogee Ensemble. I have a FF 800, and it is a solid dependable unit but I like the Ensembles integration with Logic. I also think that the Ensembles pres are better and it has two headphone outs for seperate mixes. I also prefer the low end on the apogee a little bit more.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Another option im considering would be the Yamaha n 12 which if cubase isnt a hassel to learn would suit me down to the ground as i love the idea of real faders!!!

How do they compare to the said 003/rme and would cubase be that hard to learn??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I LOVE MY N12 (and you get DSP with it). Good converters, pres, nice faders, and control room controls.
Deleted 99dc753
Mark,

It must be said Logic 8 and PT LE 8 are both great DAWs with great possibilities.

For me it is a matter of work flow which one I prefer.

I take Logic 8 because there is not a single customer in the Low Budget range which is not delivering midi data or wants me to arrange strings for him.
I would go crazy with PT 8 but it also is a matter of adaption if you have worked for a year with one you would not go back and leran a new DAW becasue it is time consuming.

In sound all DAWs are the same.
What you can hear about this on GS is just not true myself I assisted a comparison and all files PT HD / PT LE / LOGIC nulled out in a phase test.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dear Motu

Did you catch the hint?
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
logic's drum editing is killer too.
πŸ“ Reply