Quantcast
2 S/PDIF outs -> 1 S/PDIF input. Device to manage? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 S/PDIF outs -> 1 S/PDIF input. Device to manage?
Old 4th February 2009
2 S/PDIF outs -> 1 S/PDIF input. Device to manage?

I've got 2 devices that feed S/PDIF out and an interface that has only 1 S/PDIF in.

Is there a device of some sort that will allow me to switch between the 2? Will a basic RCA cable switcher do the trick or will this cause issues when the new device is selected and fed to the input? Any signal degradation concerns with this arrangement?

Or is there some magical S/PDIF matrix patchbay that can better accomodate this and is it an esoteric piece of gear that's like $5K?
Old 4th February 2009
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeoctane ➑️
I've got 2 devices that feed S/PDIF out and an interface that has only 1 S/PDIF in.

Is there a device of some sort that will allow me to switch between the 2? Will a basic RCA cable switcher do the trick or will this cause issues when the new device is selected and fed to the input? Any signal degradation concerns with this arrangement?

Or is there some magical S/PDIF matrix patchbay that can better accomodate this and is it an esoteric piece of gear that's like $5K?
Way lower than $5k! Possibly not what you'd call "cheap" though. A quick google shows it to be about $1,500. But it will work, and then some.

DigitalKonnektX32
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As long as you keep the rca at 75 ohms a simple rca switch would work, things like the M-Audio CO2 switch between optical and spdif all the time with no issues...heck you could pick up a couple of those and just run into some kind of rca combo adapter...and then just switch from optical to spdif via respective outputs.

The real problem here is the market since spdif is primarily a home user designation (nothing other than a designation signal is the same coded with a different header), the demand for some kind of multiple switcher has not really come around like it would in a studio demand environment.
Old 4th February 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeoctane ➑️

Zsys Routers

Might not be what you need but they make some pretty amazing stuff.
Old 4th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Midiman Digipatch

If you don't need 88.2KHz or higher, then a Midiman Digipatch will do this and more:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global...tch_Manual.pdf

This unit is discontinued but turns up regularly on eBay. On some of them the front panel buttons were a little flaky, though.

The German company Friend-Chip once made a 4-into-1 switch that would work (also, I believe, limited to 48KHz):

CHIP MATE

But that was a while ago and these are very hard to find.

Too bad your S/PDIF connections aren't optical rather than coax. Then the Hosa ODS330 ($60 in the US) would be perfect.

Hope this helps.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used passive RCA switch boxes before for coaxial, and they worked fine, though I was told there was the potential for damage depending on the gear used. If it's optical, there are mechanical switches:

Amazon.com: Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3-Way Selector Switch for Fiber Optic Home Theater Connections (Silver): Electronics
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lol, wow, jumped the gun on that. Ok, I thought you were saying up to 5k so I was like, wtf man. Lol. Disregard what I said earlier.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
I was hoping to be able to use something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
2 S/PDIF outs -> 1 S/PDIF input. Device to manage?-rca.jpg  
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's similar to what I used. My box was a 3 X 1 RCA stereo audio switcher with pushbuttons... worked fine for switching DAT, CD and PCM-F1 (omg) sources to a soundcard coaxial digital input. Use at your own risk, though.
πŸ“ Reply